First attempt: Peavey 6505+ Tone match

MM-Chris

Experienced
Pardon the shit playing, I just picked up a guitar and noodled something for the matching. Guitar is a mahogany Carvin CS4 with BKP Aftermaths.

This clip has the stock 4x12 v30 cab on it. Signal path: THD (bright/deep on) out -> MOTU 828 -> Reaper -> Axe-Fx PVH6160 block

I'm not sure if the bright/deep switches on the THD actually effect the output, but will give it a few different tries and see. Amp settings are pretty much neutral:

6505-tm.JPG

Preset is attached, or you can grab it on my website in case it doesn't download properly.

Metalguitarist.org - Patch Library - CQ's 6505+ Tone Match Axe-Fx II Patch

Attachments

• Peavey 6505.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
ya that sounds like my old 5150 II
So what'd you do here Chris , record the amp and match the clip?

This is really good Chris! I want to tone match my ENGL Steve Morse 100W and I am thinking what the result would be if I tried to match the ENGL's preamp. The amp has a pre out and a power amp out at the back side but it would make more sense if I used the axe's power amp sim and ENGL's preamp. I also have captured the ENGL 2x12 with V30s. Any thoughts?

This is really good Chris! I want to tone match my ENGL Steve Morse 100W and I am thinking what the result would be if I tried to match the ENGL's preamp. The amp has a pre out and a power amp out at the back side but it would make more sense if I used the axe's power amp sim and ENGL's preamp. I also have captured the ENGL 2x12 with V30s. Any thoughts?

I'd say it's certainly worth a shot! I'm still working on getting the process right, but it's certainly a good time trying. :D

For anyone that's interested, I threw up a whole bunch of raw stems from my head in WAV format with different settings and stuff here:

Here's a bunch of direct WAV samples of my 6505+ for Tone Matching

Did you happen to run the peavey into the AXEFX and use the V30 cab and record it and compare the two? I was just wondering is the tone match and the the actuall amp into the same cab model turned out the same.

Hey Chris! I used your wave files to tone match your 6505 and it's going great. Actually your 6505 preamp, as the wave files are your preamp, and I personally think that this is the most prof. way to accurately match your amp besides the way where you play the head's preamp directly to the Axe of course. So far I've made a hi gain rhythm tone based on your "Gain Galore", a mid gain tone (like a CH2 rock tone) based on your "all 5s" and I am ready to tone match the clean and lead sound. I used the 5150 model of the Axe II, my IbanezRG7321 wEMG707s (fresh battery inserted) for the dirty rhythm tones and just changed strings on my JEM7V, as I am going to use this guitar for the clean and lead (solos) tone matching. I set the 5150 in the Axe as you set you 6505 in the jpegs (and then tried to adjust the gain and level by ear). I then tried to much the amp's settings as raw as they can be, meaning bright off, boost off etc so that I will end up with a 6505 flat and add the voicings at will through the axe later on. I'll post some clips later!
I also have a quick question: my ENGL head has a preamp out at the back so you can get the preamp's signal isolated and feed it to a device. So, would it be safe to feed that signal to IN 2 L of the axe and use it as the reference signal? Do I have to make some special settings in the preset? I'm thinking power amp sim and cab sim off as well.

My first Tone Match attempt of MG-Chris's Peavey 6505+

Ok. So, having Chris's wave files of 6505+ as a reference signal and Axe's PVH6160 I managed to do my first tone matching. I used "All 5s" for a CH2 mid-gain soft rhythm tone, "All 6s" for lead parts and mostly soloing, clean for clean and "Gain Galore" for a CH3-like heavy rhythms. In the heavy rhythm tone I play the intro from Ola Englund's "Engl Blackmore Metal" youtube video which can be found here: ENGL Blackmore - Metal - YouTube. I also mathced a CH1 clean with a bit of overdrive tone which was actually pretty easy since I had some difficulties getting the clean tone due to Axe's REALLY GAINY 6160 preamp. In the following clips you hear the raw tone mathc result of each tone with a 412 German and SM57, no noise-gate, no boosts, no fats, no voicings. There is howvere a stock delay block in the lead tone to get things jucier. I really like how warm and tuby the 6505+ sounds tone-matched. I don't know if I nailed the 6505+ tone or not, or made it sound like shit, since I haven't played the real model, but in my ears these clips sounds do not deviate much from a real tube amp. Anyways, there you go:

Clean Tone (Ibanez JEM7VWH)

Mid-Gain Rhythm Tone (Ibanez RG7321 w/EMG707s)

Lead Tone (Ibanez JEM7VWH)

Heavy Rhythm Tone (Ibanez RG7321 w/EMG707s)

Back
Top Bottom