First 24 Hours with my AXE-FX II

Well, needless to say that this is probably the most revolutionary thing that has come to the guitar world in a very long time, It continually blows me away, here are some of my first opinions/thoughts so far.

1, It was quite easy to setup my RJM MasterMind with for basic preset switching, however I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the expression pedal working. If anyone can chime in and help me here I would very much appreciate it!

2, While it is pretty much tonal heaven straight out of the box, I feel like I need to be an audio engineer to be able to utilize the full potential of the unit, but perhaps this unit will finally help me get more of an understanding of how my guitar's signal can be manipulated.

3, The USB interface to my Mac works fantastically, I've already tracked 4-5 clips as riff ideas, and I look forward to re-tracking some stuff I wrote on my iPad while I was traveling.

4, I'm really looking forward to AxeEdit 2.0 as I think I will be able to do things a lot faster with the software interface, however it is probably a good thing for me to learn/get comfortable with the hardware interface.

5, I'm hoping that I will be able to use this unit to become a more educated and creative musician in general, and I think that it will do just that.

6, Tuner works on the RJM MasterMind, Woot! :D

I agree completely with #4, having bought the Axe FX II recently without Axe Edit available is probably a good thing to get well acquainted with the front panel. We can't miss something we haven't had is the way I see it.

Welcome on board.
Wait for firmware 10... I think you should watch Scott Peterson's video on youtube,type in the search "Axe Fest".
The concept is while there are loads of parameters,to get great tones keep it simple :)
The other thing is when firmware 10 comes out it is suppose to be the Axe FXII for guitar players rather than for audio
engineers. Exciting times ahead :)

1, ...I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the expression pedal working. If anyone can chime in and help me here I would very much appreciate it!
From the MasterMind manual: "Check the FAQ section on the RJM Music website for the current list of pedals known to work with the MasterMind."

2, While it is pretty much tonal heaven straight out of the box, I feel like I need to be an audio engineer to be able to utilize the full potential of the unit...
Yes, you need to be a bit of an engineer to utilize the Axe's full potential (that can't be helped; it lets you make changes that would require surgery on a real amp), but you don't need to use its full potential to get great tones (as you've found :) ).

Welcome!

Welcome on board.
Wait for firmware 10... I think you should watch Scott Peterson's video on youtube,type in the search "Axe Fest".
The concept is while there are loads of parameters,to get great tones keep it simple :)
The other thing is when firmware 10 comes out it is suppose to be the Axe FXII for guitar players rather than for audio
engineers. Exciting times ahead :)

Hurray!

From the MasterMind manual: "Check the FAQ section on the RJM Music website for the current list of pedals known to work with the MasterMind."

Yes, you need to be a bit of an engineer to utilize the Axe's full potential (that can't be helped; it lets you make changes that would require surgery on a real amp), but you don't need to use its full potential to get great tones (as you've found :) ).

Welcome!

I'm using an Ernie Ball volume pedal, which I've seen people use before, and it does "calibrate" correctly with the RJM, So I know the RJM is seeing it just fine. Its the communication between the RJM and the Axe-Fx II that I don't think its seeing, or I don't have the expression pedal configured correctly within the MasterMind.

Try using the learn feature on AXE

IO > CTRL

select the external controller number you want to assign, hit "enter", then move the pedal. If it doesn't find it you may have a config issue at the mastermind.
Then to assign the pedal to a block, just select the same controller number.

So to assign it in axe edit, you pick the wah block, right click on "control" (notice the brackets in the knob, that means it's assignable), pick "source controller" then scroll down to external 1, or whatever you set. when you move the pedal you should see the dot move on the screen.

ezpz. You are ready to rock!!!

PS. see page 132 in the AXE manual for the learn feature

Last edited:
Maybe you could learn some things from my MFC-Axe video? I know you have a different controller but the conventions are pretty much the same, except the specifics of setting up your controller. Link to my blog in my signature below.

Back
Top Bottom