Firmware V2 vs. V3 A/B test... discouraged

Yek's Wiki tips are invaluable. Been there many many times looking for solutions and answers.

I read the transformer matching notes from Cliff, but have been a wimp to try it out. After reading Sean's comments I think I will give it a try tonight. I have had great results redoing my presets. However, a few mildly distorted bright amp tones could use a bit of cleaning up. An iPhone app that connects to my AXE from work would certainly be nice. With earphone capablilty. Anybody?!?!? :)

NO! The proof (as practically EVERYONE except you has said) is in an A/B test, with the same source, AND WITH A KNOWN/PROVEN set of Axe-FX II parameters (I.E. UPLOADED/SHARED PATCHES/PRESETS!) that were applied to each clip. Without proof of which parameters yielded which clips, YOU'VE PROVEN NOTHING TO ANYBODY?!?

I have posted an example of 4 presets from Bank A available to everyone from 2.00b and 3.00 with a source available to everyone. It captures my reaction to firmware 2.00b being different than 3.00. Bank A presets were already re-worked by Fractal and released for 3.00 so one would hope they would show off the 3.00 improvement but they do not (to my ears). Others including Scott have commented as much with "IMHO. Grape's Group A crush Group B. No contest." Now what I didn't do (and I acknowledged this) is adjust the 3.00 presets to make it "better" and that's what Scott went on to say. I agree with this. I agree with this and that is what this thread is about. Updating presets originally for 2.00 for 3.00.

Cliff and Scott have already bowed out but they have already helped me. Cliff in the form of providing the AxeFX II and firmware's in the first place along with release notes, and Scott with his comments about 3.0 preset creation (mostly in another thread). You fixating on me providing a preset is going to go nowhere as I've already stated how I fixed it (mostly hi settings in the Amp Speaker page). If you don't have anything to add to this thread concerning my initial questions, please stop posting.

I have posted an example of 4 presets from Bank A available to everyone from 2.00b and 3.00 with a source available to everyone. It captures my reaction to firmware 2.00b being different than 3.00. Bank A presets were already re-worked by Fractal and released for 3.00 so one would hope they would show off the 3.00 improvement but they do not (to my ears). Others including Scott have commented as much with "IMHO. Grape's Group A crush Group B. No contest." Now what I didn't do (and I acknowledged this) is adjust the 3.00 presets to make it "better" and that's what Scott went on to say. I agree with this. I agree with this and that is what this thread is about. Updating presets originally for 2.00 for 3.00.

Cliff and Scott have already bowed out but they have already helped me. Cliff in the form of providing the AxeFX II and firmware's in the first place along with release notes, and Scott with his comments about 3.0 preset creation (mostly in another thread). You fixating on me providing a preset is going to go nowhere as I've already stated how I fixed it (mostly hi settings in the Amp Speaker page). If you don't have anything to add to this thread concerning my initial questions, please stop posting.

--I think it's all you , everyone has left the building
I am glad to hear you found out some things and its sounds like you are on your way to sonic nirvana

Good Luck on the journey

sourgrapes.jpg

/thread

We will all have a more informed opinion on 3.0 in the coming weeks as we get comfortable with the changes overall.

Relax people, and allow Grape to vent his frustrations and share his journey to match the sonic bliss he had with 2.0

You are right, time will tell and changes will keep coming. I understand grape's state of mind as I too was in the corridor with my 2.00 patches and have not yet 'felt' the same connection with my 3.02 however, as with updates to 11.00 on the Ultra, there will be progress for some time on the A2 and if anyone can come close to pleasing everyone, it's Cliff.

I have both types of setup:
- studio monitors with cab sims On
- power amp and guitar speaker with cab sims Off

Yes, V3 sounds different from V2 through both rigs. In a good way.
But you may have to dial in your amp / preset settings again.

So far, in all the cases where somebody blames V3 for ruining his (haven't seen a female around here yet) tones, it has been user error.

there is a very rockin female in the mix, now; I was almost waiting for some grand proclamation but I will make it here, and she is a high gainer! She is on many threads, with a pic of her. fyi:p

Freedom Writers...

First of all, I come from America, where (the last time I checked) there's such a thing as "Freedom Of Speech." Therefore, NO I WON'T STOP POSTING ON THIS THREAD (or any other) unless I damn well feel like it!

Once again, I admit that you've posted four-clips on Soundcloud....That much is undeniable.

However, how does anyone REALLY know what parameters where applied to the Axe-FX II hardware/unit to create the aforementioned clips? No one (except you) truly knows exactly which combination of parameters created those clips? When you say that you used the first four Axe-FX II presets (yes, I recognized the names of the patches as you commented on the clips at the starting-point of each clip) does that mean that you used FW-3.xx-loaded presets with the 3.xx Firmware AND the FW-2.xx loaded presets with the 2.xx-Firmware? Or did you use the FW-3.xx-loaded presets with BOTH versions of Firmware? OR did you use FW-2.xx-loaded presets with BOTH versions of Firmware for those clips? If you could answer that question directly, then ANYONE else could then do a similar re-amped A/B-Test with their Axe-FX II unit, just to see if it sounds identical to your clips...If you would clarify that (you could do so WITHOUT divulging your "top-secret" presets/patches!)

Just out of curiousity, do you favor Fender clean and Fender-slight-overdrive type models in your particular default style? I only ask that question, because frankly I don't think you could've picked 4 worse (or I should say "out-of-stylistic-context") presets/patches than those first for Fender-based models. That said, even though I doubt Scott Peterson (who I believe did the source guitar-playing on the Angus-clip you used) had those clean-to-edgy type Fender sounds in mind (or in his monitor-system!) while he was playing those dropped-tuned riffs....(He probably used something like that "Bogner-Red patch" he posted his version of this re-amped track with!) but that's a moot-point for an A/B comparison...Too bad you could'nt have found a "Stevie Ray Vaughan-ish" re-amp dry-track to have used instead of the Scott Peterson-played Angus re-amp track/performance. An "SRV-ish" (or "Clapton-eque," or anything that is typically "Fender-ish" would've been a "more-in-context" track to use for those particular-presets. That said, the Scott Peterson-played/Angus-track should NOT sound BAD if re-amped through FW-2.xx (w/2.xx presets) OR if re-amped thorugh FW-3.xx (w/3.xx presets) Anything OTHER than these last two scenarios I mentioned (Firmware and preset-versions MATCHED!) is NOT a valid-test. I'm sorry, but I think that's what Scott Peterson was alluding to when he asserted that:

"Without a preset to see/hear/test/analyze; there is no way to discuss this or help out at all. Listening tests can be skewed any number of ways, so I don't play that game really. I could make a Standard running 3.00 sound better than a II running 3.0 if that was the goal for instance."

I understand that you're NOT gonna post YOUR presets, and frankly, that's your perogative. I also think it's admirable that you've taken the time to learn your new firmware (albeit publicly - LOL!) From what you've indicated, you seem to have (painstakingly) made progress. Good for you...However, if you're puzzled as to why some people may've seemed a bit "testy/short/agitated," (myself included, but forget me...I'm referring to the genuine experts who reached out to you, and instead of saving precious time from their schedules/lives by posting your presets/patches like: Scott Peterson, yek, and a few others) could've pinpointed the sources of your tonal-frustrations within minutes I'm sure! (Those guys REALLY know their stuff!) Instead, you forced them to play the "guessing-game" (as to what your parameters looked like) thus wasting their time, and indirectly disrespecting their outreach. Again, that was all your perogative, and I hope it all works out for you (and your headphones - LOL!)

Best of luck with your tonal-pursuits!

Bill

Reactions: jon
i like your boldface and italicizing skillz, i read your comments as if you're yelling whenever either are implemented. I especially like the last paragraph because of this.

First of all, I come from America, where (the last time I checked) there's such a thing as "Freedom Of Speech." Therefore, NO I WON'T STOP POSTING ON THIS THREAD (or any other) unless I damn well feel like it!
You are free to post.

However, how does anyone REALLY know what parameters where applied to the Axe-FX II hardware/unit to create the aforementioned clips? No one (except you) truly knows exactly which combination of parameters created those clips?
I have noted this but I'll restate it so that it's absolutely clear:
It's the first four presets from Bank A from 2.00b on 2.00b and the first four presets from Bank A from 3.00 on 3.00.
You can prove it for yourself by doing the same test. That's the beauty of single source A/B testing and exactly why I posted it.

Just out of curiousity, do you favor Fender clean and Fender-slight-overdrive type models in your particular default style? I only ask that question, because frankly I don't think you could've picked 4 worse (or I should say "out-of-stylistic-context") presets/patches than those first for Fender-based models.
I have various styles and pretty much enjoy all electric guitar sounds. I like the Angus clip through the first 3 amps but not so much through the Deluxe Verb.

That said, even though I doubt Scott Peterson (who I believe did the source guitar-playing on the Angus-clip you used) had those clean-to-edgy type Fender sounds in mind (or in his monitor-system!)
Please read that other thread. It's Angus playing not Scott. It had no restriction on the type of reamp that was performed. You'll see that others have posted clips on that forum with various combinations. The good thing about the clip is that it's very dynamic and has several techniques in it.

while he was playing those dropped-tuned riffs....(He probably used something like that "Bogner-Red patch" he posted his version of this re-amped track with!) but that's a moot-point for an A/B comparison...Too bad you could'nt have found a "Stevie Ray Vaughan-ish" re-amp dry-track to have used instead of the Scott Peterson-played Angus re-amp track/performance.
I looked around for a few different types of clips but didn't find any. I randomly found that clip and thought it would be good to use it since everyone knows Scott and he posted the thread specifically for reamping.

Scott Peterson, yek, and a few others) could've pinpointed the sources of your tonal-frustrations within minutes I'm sure! (Those guys REALLY know their stuff!) Instead, you forced them to play the "guessing-game" (as to what your parameters looked like) thus wasting their time, and indirectly disrespecting their outreach. Again, that was all your perogative, and I hope it all works out for you (and your headphones - LOL!)[/B]

I did not force anything. Their time on the thread was up to them and I meant no disrespect. I stated early on that I didn't want to post my clips/presets. I originally asked how people dealt with their presets from 2.00. I did not come here and say say, hey help me with my preset, you know the one I won't give you.

Anyway, I've posted another clip set to dispel the issue you had with me saying a single amp sounded better in 3.0. You can hear the dry, 2.00b, 2.00b modified, 2.00b in 3.02. I concluded that I could change 2.00b to sound like 3.02. It was a few eq changes. To me it doesn't sound like a model change. But please don't take this out of context either. I'm not using these clips to prove that the modeling hasn't improved elsewhere. It's an isolated test.

AxeFX II 2.00b vs 3.02 Boutique 1 by plum-55 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Attachments

• 2.00b Boutique 1 Mod.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.00b Boutique 1.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
you've lost me ,I have no idea what you are comparing and why .the one that is clipping sounds worse .

Sorry, it was just to dispel a comment made by billmeedog and really meant for him. It's not a pleasant listening experience so you can just ignore it.

I was isolating each component to track down issues in the preset as a whole and noted that the amp alone (which I'd never actually do - it would at least be paired with a cab) sounded slightly better in 3.0.

A : 2.00b preset in 2.00b
B : 2.00b preset modified in 2.00b
C : 2.00b in 3.02

A sounds too thin. C sounded more "organ" like. I went back and did B with some eq in the amp block to get the "organ" like sound back (it's too loud in the clip though). The dry clip wasn't clipping as much in my DAW and was exaggerated by the conversion. It was just posted for reference not for actual comparison. Alas, when I noted that FW3 sounded better in this isolated case it was used against me so I wanted to show that the slight improvement was pretty much just eq, not a huge model improvement.

Just answering a question electronpirate. You can delete this thread if you want or lock it. I have nothing more to add. I'm off of 2.00 for good and have updated my old presets to an acceptable level in 3.02. There's useful information at the top of the first post that I've updated but other than that, this was a horrendous experience.

Not all updates are going to please everyone, so relax people. There will be more updates that will continue the journey..............

Just answering a question electronpirate. You can delete this thread if you want or lock it. I have nothing more to add. I'm off of 2.00 for good and have updated my old presets to an acceptable level in 3.02. There's useful information at the top of the first post that I've updated but other than that, this was a horrendous experience.

We are glad you are ceasing your perseveration.

Go play guitar.

Back
Top Bottom