Firmware USB Transfer Error…Unable to rollback to FW8.0 from FW9.0 Public Beta 1

Nathan Shane

Greetings, I updated my FM3 (non-Turbo) with the latest FW9.0 Public Beta 1, as well as installing the newest version of FM3-EDIT, DynaCabs and a re-install of both Windows Drivers. All the updates went well without any issues or errors. After checking out FW9.0 Public Beta, I realized that there were some issues with the firmware and decided I wanted to rollback to FW8.0 but I’m unable to do so. The rollback data transfer appears to progress as expected but when it finishes, the FM3 displays a USB Data Transfer Error, Please Restart The Unit and Try Again. I’ve tried multiple times rolling back, using FM3-EDIT Fractal-Bot as well as the standalone version of Fractal-Bot, the data transfer error still occurs. I’ve even removed all apps and drivers and did a fresh install of them, the error still occurs. And I’ve tried using the previous version of FM3-EDIT, the error still occurs.

Is there a way to force the FM3 into a state of operation which would allow a firmware rollback to work without issue?

From the Manual:

RECOVERY
PROBLEMS DURING/AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE
The FM3 has a built-in recovery system known as the “Emergency Boot Loader” to protect you against mishaps
during firmware update. To boot from the emergency boot loader:
1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
2. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears.
3. Update as normal using Fractal-Bot.

Thanks for the quick reply, that solved my problem. But, updating using the Emergency Boot Loader doesn’t behave as a user might think it should. Here was the sequence of events and their outcome.

1. Powered up FM3 in Emergency Boot Loader Mode.
2. Used Standalone Fractal-Bot v3.0.18.
3. Fractal-Bot displayed “There is a new version of firmware available, v8.0
4. Clicked on that message expecting that v8.0 would download and be installed into FM3.
5. Firmware was downloaded and installed.
6. Next I selected the DynaCab update file in Fractal-Bot.
7. FM3 displayed, “This version of DynaCab is not compatible with the current firmware. Please update firmware to v7.0 or higher.”
8. I was confused regarding the DynaCab message.
9. Power cycled FM3, closed/restarted Fractal-Bot.
10. Fractal-Bot displays current firmware installed in FM3 is v1.0 (I was expecting v8.0 to have installed).
11. QUESTION: Should Fractal-Bot have installed FW8.0 or FW1.0? (THIS MAY BE A BUG).
12. Started FM3-EDIT, used editor’s Fractal-Bot to install DynaCabs.
13. Next, selected “Refresh After New Firmware” Block Definitions updated correctly.
14. Next, selected Presets Manager, clicked on “Refresh” after refresh, ALL PRESET LOCATIONS WERE EMPTY.
15. I wasn’t sure if the unexpected install of FW1.0 wiped out all the presets? (IS THIS EXPECTED BEHAVIOR OR A BUG)?

Anyway, everything is back to FW8.0 and working as expected.

I had the same problem as you.
Since I encountered a strange behavior after installing firmware 9.0 beta 1, I decided to roll back to version 8.0.
However, like you, I received the message "Data Transfer Error." during the downgrade.
To reinstall firmware 8.0, I followed the Recovery procedure.
I then discovered that what I thought was a bug in the beta firmware was actually a misconfiguration on my part, so I tried to reinstall firmware 9.0 beta, but I still got the "Data Transfer Error" message.
I also tried updating the Dynacab first, but I received the same error message.
So, I went through the Recovery procedure again and was finally able to reinstall version 9.0 beta 1.
At this point, the Dynacab update succeeded without errors.
In my opinion, there is a bug somewhere in the firmware 9.0 beta installation procedure that causes this error...

Greetings, I updated my FM3 (non-Turbo) with the latest FW9.0 Public Beta 1, as well as installing the newest version of FM3-EDIT, DynaCabs and a re-install of both Windows Drivers. All the updates went well without any issues or errors. After checking out FW9.0 Public Beta, I realized that there were some issues with the firmware and decided I wanted to rollback to FW8.0 but I’m unable to do so. The rollback data transfer appears to progress as expected but when it finishes, the FM3 displays a USB Data Transfer Error, Please Restart The Unit and Try Again. I’ve tried multiple times rolling back, using FM3-EDIT Fractal-Bot as well as the standalone version of Fractal-Bot, the data transfer error still occurs. I’ve even removed all apps and drivers and did a fresh install of them, the error still occurs. And I’ve tried using the previous version of FM3-EDIT, the error still occurs.

Is there a way to force the FM3 into a state of operation which would allow a firmware rollback to work without issue?
happened to me too, to go back to the previous version I installed from 9 beta to 7 and then made 8. backups included

Due to modifications to the Firmware (9.0) and the DynaCabs (1.06), older firmware cannot be reinstalled directly. Therefore, you have to utilize the Emergency Firmware to downgrade to V8.0 or older. Once you have done that, the DynaCabs are incompatible. So, you will be required to downgrade those as appropriate as well to V1.05.

Back
Top Bottom