Firmware Ultra 11 update ruins all tones

I did have to change a few minor things on my patches, but i really like what the 11 update did to the overall sound, but my patches are simple so some people might have a little more editing to do after the update, but i really think it's worth updating.

There is an interesting oversight to take away from the general gist of this thread. This is not a commentary on the OP in any way, just an observation.

If you follow any of the more major firmware upgrades over the life of the Standard/Ultra thus far, there are always those that feel that it is a step back in regards to what they want/like/prefer/need from this box. It's a completely valid perspective and for every person it's a pros/cons debate on whether or not the firmware allows you to do what you want/like/prefer/need for your situation.

It's fine to use a firmware that works best for you. I know someone that was an early adapter that used firmware 3.xx because he had it dialed in for his situation and he never updated to this day. We don't all like/use/prefer/need/want the same things.

Again, just an observation.

Another is that you can always also downgrade your firmware.

I'm lucky and unlucky,Only have had ultra for 2 months.Haven' really heard a great difference between 10.5 and 11,but I do backup my presets in 2 places.On my desk top and in the fractal folder.That way I can tweak em and save to the fractal folder and have the original in case I tweak to much.

The OP is one of my closests friends and his Ultra is the reason I have my Fractal. Bums me out to see him have issues like this. I have 11.0 but as soon as I got mine I upgraded so I have nothing to compare it to. Ha this makes me want to go back to 10.04 and compare. I do need to save my presets though.

In the beginning I remember much todo about a preset called crystal echoes. An update was released that ultimately was a huge improvement setting a path for expansion yet took away a bit of the charm of this preset. IMHO it's never been the same yet concurrently all else has vastly improved. In v11 I notice improvements on a global basis yet a couple of my presets, such as Alberts lead, have amplified the noise floor. Any preset that had an audible noise floor, in my case, had the noise increase in an otherwise dead silent signal chain.

Point being all 384 slots are not going to improve. In weighing in on whether you like the improvement you always have retro options. I look at all my gear that is not-updatable and kind of feel lucky with Fractal. I purchased when 4.0 was the big leap. If I was OP the place I would start is Fractal Support. Many a time I've read these same post only to find a global setting needed changed because Cliff added new features.

Last edited:
It definitely changed...a lot. I figured it would be barely noticeable. As it turns out, there is waaaay more bass in my setup now. I always had the bass boost on my QSC's but had to push the switch up to the middle slot. Even had it on external sub for a while. I know-it is suggested but I never needed it until now. I also turned down the bass in the global eq as Yek mentioned in his settings. All good now. Better I would say. Just some getting used to. I've been using modified yek tones for quite some time. I dont modify the amps usually, just the effects etc. I like an autowah, hmm I forget what else I change. I like P1 to be the wah, and nothing else, so I push the rest off to P2 where that applies. Anyway, a little tweaking(that i had read about and was prepared to do anyway) and I am all good.

Back
Top Bottom