Firmware rollback?

thehydeout

Experienced
Hello all,

Just a question on rolling back firmware. I had some tones going on in 3.02 that I just loved and haven’t been able to quite nail them again in 6.04. So last night I tried rolling back to 3.02 (I save backups of everything), and it hung on the boot screen. Rebooted into emergency mode (unplugged the FC-12 just in case) and sent the same firmware, still hung. Rebooted again into emergency mode and tried loading 4.0, still hung at the boot screen. Rebooted once more into emergency mode and loaded 6.04 back on it and everything was fine again. Is it not possible to rollback anymore? Or does it need to be a more “decrimental” process? 6.04>6.0>5.x>4.x...

Thanks!

I know there are associated USB firmware upgrades that we do on occasion to go along with the AXE3 firmware. If you roll back to a version of firmware that used a previous USB firmware version without rolling that back as well. Not sure what would happen, but I suspect you could run into issues.

I know there are associated USB firmware upgrades that we do on occasion to go along with the AXE3 firmware. If you roll back to a version of firmware that used a previous USB firmware version without rolling that back as well. Not sure what would happen, but I suspect you could run into issues.

Well it was a worthy thought! I tried rolling back to USB firmware 1.06 then back to 3.01 but no luck. Still hangs on "Initializing Global" on the boot screen.

Yes I am doing that. It doesn't even get past the initial boot screen. My only other thought would be first restoring a system backup from 3.01, then sending the 3.01 firmware. But there is a warning about "ensure the the target system has the same firmware version the backup was created from". So I'm leary of it. I'd rather not brick it lol.

You won't toast it. Worst thing that could happen is that you need an emergency boot recovery.
I wonder if that's the only way that works anyway.

You could erase all presets or overwrite them with presets that don't have any global linkage. I don't know if that helps, but maybe it's worth a try.

I was thinking maybe it has to do with global blocks and searched for a way to clear them but I don’t believe that is possible. I found a procedure for clearing them on a II but not the III. Seems all you can do is overwrite them.

Out of guesswork it has to do with global blocks that got new parameters added. These blocks have too many parameters when an older firmware gets reinstalled. I guess maybe you can delete all global linkages in all presets and that would allow you to downgrade and boot and then you could reiinstall an old system backup.

Or maybe this is the right plan to totally toast the unit? You could ask FAS support about it?

I thought of that but even with all links removed the blocks would still "exist" in the system. And I was successful at restoring a system backup from 3.01 which I think includes the global blocks but not sure about that, but still had the same boot failure loading the firmware.

Yes I was hoping maybe a FAS tech would eventually chime in. Maybe it's just not possible.

No I have not yet. Just trying the forum first as there are far more knowledgeable folks here than I with this unit. Could have been something simple for all I know.

Back
Top Bottom