Firmware forecast?

I'm hoping Cliff gets his hands on a PRS Archon schematic..that might be the only amp I still have some GAS for..Really crossing my fingers for this next update :encouragement:

Last edited:
Start with the Diezel VH4 Silver model (ch's 3 & 4) and you're half way there.

I'll have to give that a try sometime, however, I wouldn't know exactly how to dial it in since I've never owned the amp.

This next part may be somewhat of a confession, but I don't really tweak patches..ever since I got my Axe Fx I've basically been playing it stock out of the box with very minimal tweaking, and it sounds killer!

I'll have to give that a try sometime, however, I wouldn't know exactly how to dial it in since I've never owned the amp.

This next part may be somewhat of a confession, but I don't really tweak patches..ever since I got my Axe Fx I've basically been playing it stock out of the box with very minimal tweaking, and it sounds killer!

Ah, gotcha, and nothing really wrong with playing the stock patches either, but this thing really comes alive when you learn how to shape with it.

Both the VH4 and Archon respond with very tight, articulate high gain. I'd say start with the "silver" because the blue is IMO a lot deeper. Ch.3 Silver should be verrry close to the Archon as-is.

If you want an easy place to experiment, I'd say try swapping out the VH4 ch.3 Silver's tonestack to, say, the 5150 block's or Herbert's for a more raw sound, one of the recto's if you want more fizz, etc. You might end up preferring the stock tonestack, but you never know.

Ah, gotcha, and nothing really wrong with playing the stock patches either, but this thing really comes alive when you learn how to shape with it.

Both the VH4 and Archon respond with very tight, articulate high gain. I'd say start with the "silver" because the blue is IMO a lot deeper. Ch.3 Silver should be verrry close to the Archon as-is.

If you want an easy place to experiment, I'd say try swapping out the VH4 ch.3 Silver's tonestack to, say, the 5150 block's or Herbert's for a more raw sound, one of the recto's if you want more fizz, etc. You might end up preferring the stock tonestack, but you never know.

I'm not too sure off the top of my head where I'd be able to locate those parameters, but I'm going to refer back to this post once I have a chance to adjust some patches.

I work full time and usually have to travel on weekends so I don't get to spend too much quality time with my Axe.
The other issue is, I'm running a Mark II so I'm limited to 383 patches (I think), most of whom are stock presets that I'm nervous to over-write since my editing skills are very amateur at this point.

Gotta' ditch the training wheels sooner or later ;)

Besides, I think the stock banks are available for download on the main FAS site should you choose to reload them.

The amp block got a bit of a makeover somewhere in the past few FWs, but the tonestack option is somewhere in the last couple of tabs... which you might not even need. From what I've heard from the Archon (played one a few times in a store) and knowing the VH4 very well (owned one for about 7 years), they seem incredibly close IMO.

Firmware Forcast

Tues. Evening:

Cloudy with showers
12°C
Feels like 9
P.O.P: 40%
Rain: Less than 1 mm
Wind W 30 km/h
Wind gust 47 km/h
Humidity 67%

:D

EDIT: Forgot the barometric pressure 102.2 kilo pascals

Meteorologist... the only job you can screw up as much as they do and won't get canned.

Last edited:
My guess is the next release will be something like:
- G3-fied some new amp.
- Fixed a bug in the Amp block that made an amp sound subtly different from some ideal tone that no one ever had an idea of (excepting Cliff) and never can hear the difference.

Proposal: call the next modeling engine "G#3".
Or "A3".

I'm hoping that fw19 will have the remaining amps G3'd. And maybe a few things on Cliffs "to do" list...like the Peavey 5150 green channel.
Would also love to see the ADA MP1 added, the formant pitch shifter.....just to name a few. :)

Back
Top Bottom