Firmware Experiment

Dino334

Inspired
So after reading a post about ARES and a few other previous firmwares I decided to take a trip back in time and revisit some of my old favorites. First off went to FW12.14. For whatever reason I really gelled with that FW and play countless shows using that FW. Loaded it up along with one of my old backups from 2020 and man..did it sound great!! Just like I remember!!! Next up was FW 15 and the updated goodies. Did the same thing and I liked it, a lot, but not quite as much as the 12, so I rolled back.

Thought I'd leave FW12 on my AF3 and check it out in the morning. Played a bit with it (went from my rack to my Apollo interface into my Mac monitored by HS8's incl HS sub, as well as from my Matrix power amp into a Mesa 412...my live set up is straight to board as well as matrix and cab(s) tho I use IEM's from our board). Sounded pretty good again, but not quite great as I thought last night through the cans.

Next up...let's get back to FW25 (which I've been using since beta). First off let's reset all parameters, presets, clean up the AF3 and load in FW25, then full reload from the backup I made before this experiment. Hit my first preset and BAM....talk about kick ass!!! What the hell was I smoking to think the earlier 3 year old firmware was any better than this latest FW masterpiece? It's like playing through a Peavey Bandit or Crate amp from back in the day which you thought was the best thing since sliced bread, and then plugging into an EVH 5150iii.

So if any of you get bored, have a few hours to spare, feel nostalgic, or just want to compare the tones of old, I recommend doing this just to see how far along this wonderful black box has come in a matter of a few years!!

Nope...didn't make any recordings of the tones (wasn't even thinking about that til now) and this is just my take on this experiment. Thought I'd share this with you for shits & giggles.

Now quit reading and start playing!!!!

How much of the difference was audible vs tactile? Or equally both?

Last edited:
Never trust your ears: Yesterday I tried to optimize my little Harley Benton DNA fx Git with my small Bluetooth speaker for next trip and compared it incl recordings with my AXE FX III. At the end I had a bit the feeling, my AXE FX III sound not good enough for the price difference. Today morning I repeated it an though, damned, what a great sound from my AXE FX and what a bad sound from my DNA fx Git. If you just hear one device for a time, your ears/brain get used to it and if you hear the other device you think, damned what's going on. It seems to be that you always need backing tracks for comparsion. At the end your brain likes "everything" :) That's why I hope FAS measurements are great and better than my ears.

Echoic memory is the ultra-short-term memory for things you hear ~4 seconds. The brain maintains many types of memories. Echoic memory is part of sensory memory, storing information from the sounds you hear

we are far better at remembering what we see and touch than what we hear

Gauge your Auditory Memory with this small test

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject...nt-a-listener-are-you-take-the-test-1.4498720

Back
Top Bottom