Finding that EVH Kerrrrrang (or "Nyeeeeoowwwwww")...

I was listening to the latest "Runnin' With The Dweezil" podcast (which you should subscribe to if you're any kind of EVH fan), and Pete Thorn hits on what I've always found to be a key to the coolness of the early EVH tone. It's that "kerrang" where the sound develops over time from the initial hit to the sustained portion - giving it a vocal quality as Pete mentions. I grabbed a few seconds of the discussion so you can hear what he's referring to. Pete gets a good approximation here.

Anyone have experience with parameters that bring this out on a Marshall Plexi? I feel like it's something beyond EVH's Variac settings. Thanks for any good discussion on the topic!

I hope Dweezil doesn't mind me sharing a few seconds of the podcast here - hopefully it inspires more to subscribe. It's a treasure-trove of EVH discussion.

Funny... I just finished Pete Thorn's two episodes a day or so ago and have Axe Edit up playing with the sag specifically to go after that G chord in Mean Streets. My preset's sag is currently at 3.04 but cranking it to 5 ish does sound like it has that "neeoowwwww" quality to it. It's not quite there but it gets closer. I'm apprehensive about leaving because I feel you always give up something else and I don't know what something else is yet. I'm gonna read the thread posted above about sag and saveas on the preset.

I've been loving the Running with the Dweezil podcast. I crack up at the things they geek out on because it's same things that I geek out on.

Funny... I just finished Pete Thorn's two episodes a day or so ago and have Axe Edit up playing with the sag specifically to go after that G chord in Mean Streets. My preset's sag is currently at 3.04 but cranking it to 5 ish does sound like it has that "neeoowwwww" quality to it. It's not quite there but it gets closer. I'm apprehensive about leaving because I feel you always give up something else and I don't know what something else is yet. I'm gonna read the thread posted above about sag and saveas on the preset.

I've been loving the Running with the Dweezil podcast. I crack up at the things they geek out on because it's same things that I geek out on.
I've been trying to get that "neeeoowww" as well and have been going in circles - I seem to get a bit of it with sag but not as dramatic as Pete was demoing. You need an amp with the master running at 10 for the sag to have the most impact as far as I've read. If you learn anything keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom