finding my clean tone

krmtsr

I usually save two clean sounds in one bank.. one for a more metallica-ish, still very clean but a little pushed. and the other is more like a lonestarish crisp clean. Since I bought my axefx, I am struggling to get such sounds. Which amp models should I be using for those specific types of sounds? it is not like I have pod anymore in which I can cancel all amp sims and jack up the chorus to get a good clean tone. So any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Whats to stop you bypassing the Amp block in the axe FX, if that got you there with the Pod it should with the Axe.

Also are you going direct (FRFR) or via an amp and cab?

I am running the axe into m-audio bx5a frfr monitors. The reason I disabled the amp and cab blocks in pod was that the all the clean models sounded like crap and the only usable sound was achievable by not using any amp models. This is definitely not the case with the axefx, I would like to try out all the clean models and see whats best for me but it is always good to ask the people who have previously tried and achieved the tone that I am looking for.

Try the Shiva Clean. I also am digging the 1987x for a nice clean with a little dirt. Even the Shiva lead covers a whole lot of ground from clean to growl just using the guitar volume. Easy on the gain and Master though.

+1 for the Shiva - its lovelly. Also try the Delux Verb which I like, the Dr Z, and even the Buttery with low gain (for the slightly pushed clean).

Also, If you have gone direct without an amp sim on the POD (no amp direct to desk was a 90s production trick too) then try no amp block, or the Tube Pre to add a little warmth,

so far the shiva is working great, which cab models do you guys prefer? I am using the 412 recto1 however it sounds like the tone can be a little more brighter and present with 212 models

4x12 cabs are good for harder sounds.

For clean I'd take the 4x10 bassmann, the 2x12s and 1x12s.
You can use two cab blocks parallel to mix two cabs.

Back
Top Bottom