Finally made the plunge

IIIMK

Long time lurker been debating the descision for a while and....
Finally put in my order for a AXE-Fx Ultra today. I am so syked. Now that it looks like I am in 3 different bands playing very different music I really have no better choice than to downsize my rig to fit around the AXE-Fx.

VR,
///MK

Congrats, and welcome to the family.
Are you ever in for a load of discovery and fulfillment!!!

Some advice (for what it's worth):

Be patient. There's a learning curve. Keep coming here and to other places online that discuss the AXE FX. Download the user's manual and study it while you're waiting for the UPS guy to deliver yours to you. Ask questions. Seek advice.

Asking me to be patient....
Well thats not something I have ever been good at.
Ive been a bit of a gear whore for a while and my work gives me a pretty good background for this kind of thing. I already have a ART SLA2 and a VHT 20/50/2 (use it for the WW in my current WDW setup) and intend to convert from my existing Randall MTS rig (the Randalls will be a tough act to follow I am able to get some amazing tones from a few modded mods). My first item to figure out is what to do with speakers I currently have a few Mesa 4x12's. I am thinking I will first try to get the sound right with the existing 4x12's and then try to figure out if a passive monitr will work with the poweramp or just bite the bullet and get two of those QSC jobbies. For my non metal acts Im going to try to go direct to FOH and use my in ear to monitor.

I didn't lurk for too long. I heard the word-of-mouth, from reputable people, I had a need, a strong need, for a solution to recording in a small noisy apartment. I'd tried other solutions that wasted years of my time, but this sounded like the real deal.

After a week or two of lurking, I also took the plunge for the Ultra, and got it this week. After one night, two hours in the wee hours, I was ready to give up on it. It sounded horrible. It sounded as bad or worse than a pod. It actually sounded about equal to a $30 effect I just sold on craig's list. It was astonishingly bad.

Today, I made the crossroads. I spent all day in, home from work, and built rigs from scratch. One amp, to a pair of cabs, a little resonance after, a little delay before, and tweaked those amps and cabs until they approached the kinds of sounds I want to hear. And I found them.

I couldn't help but notice though that there was still a threatening lack of dynamics. I'm used to being able to get nuance out of my playing. It's all well and good to have good modellers, but what's the use if I can't actually play them for anything more than macho power chords and such? But then I fiddled with the amp settings until finally I addressed that too. So now, all is well and good. I am going to be a friend to ebay now, as I gradually unload my amp and many boutique effects. Goodbye analog! Can't believe it, but there it is. Keeping a few things, from Moog, and Analogman, and maybe my Clydes, but that's about it.

In my newbie opinion, the AxeFather needs to seriously reconsider the presets he ships with this thing. He's got alternating styles: Van Halen drenched in wet reverb, alternating with some really annoying pitch effects, on and on, over and over. It's great all this synth stuff is onboard but really, people are coming to the Axe more often than not for true amp/cab simulations, so they can record direct. and not own/lug a lot of amps. They're not trying to make alien sounds from Planet 9. I came *this* close to shipping the Ultra back because the sample presets were so discouraging.

I have loved the thing since day one.
And for all of the flexibility and my unfailing ADHD :) It has kept me quite busy. I am still unable to uncover what I hear is a "blanket" on the upper mids which I attribute to the v30's in my recto cabs. Still looking for a passive wedge monitor to use with my ART SLA2. I have my cleans /eric johnson/U2 tones dialed in! I stiil find my hair/heavy metal tones lacking compared to my MTS rig. Hopefully I can figure it out. Its not bad but just less than I expected out of the box and this is after hours and hours of tweaking. Again I am pretty sure the problem is the speakers.

Back
Top Bottom