Finally jumped in and bought the FC6

Doug Notter

Inspired
The good news is, now that I finally bought one I'm sure they're going on sale real soon for the rest of you. :p

I'm stoked though. Anything I should know before it gets here?

I think I might finally order that spring loaded Mission pedal I've been wanting and switch one of my two EV-1s to a full time volume pedal as well. Mission for wah always, one EV-1 for volume (plug guitar into EV-1 and then into Axe FX not a digital volume) and then my other EV-1 for misc whatever per preset stuff I want to do. Any thoughts on using the EV-1 as an analog volume pedal rather than doing it digitally as a controller? I would prefer to use the volume pots on my guitars but a couple of them are difficult to reach. I'm looking for that exact same effect of turning the pot down.

Also quick question, with the FC6 is there an attack/release parameter for how fast it turns effects on an off? Or is it just on/off with no adjusting possible?

I can't wait to finally be able to control this thing!

The good news is, now that I finally bought one I'm sure they're going on sale real soon for the rest of you. :p

I'm stoked though. Anything I should know before it gets here?

I think I might finally order that spring loaded Mission pedal I've been wanting and switch one of my two EV-1s to a full time volume pedal as well. Mission for wah always, one EV-1 for volume (plug guitar into EV-1 and then into Axe FX not a digital volume) and then my other EV-1 for misc whatever per preset stuff I want to do. Any thoughts on using the EV-1 as an analog volume pedal rather than doing it digitally as a controller? I would prefer to use the volume pots on my guitars but a couple of them are difficult to reach. I'm looking for that exact same effect of turning the pot down.

Also quick question, with the FC6 is there an attack/release parameter for how fast it turns effects on an off? Or is it just on/off with no adjusting possible?

I can't wait to finally be able to control this thing!
You can put a volume block after the input and get the volume knob effect more cleanly there....

Effect bypass is near instantaneous. You can use a mixer and a control switch to switch between input and output of a block, which opens up the attack/release times in the modifier pane....

Last edited:
How fast it turns on? It’s when you press the switch. Not sure I understand.

There’s really no benefit to using it as an analog pedal vs digital/expression. Turning the volume on the guitar can’t really be exactly matched by any other method, even an analog volume pedal.

How fast it turns on? It’s when you press the switch. Not sure I understand.

There’s really no benefit to using it as an analog pedal vs digital/expression. Turning the volume on the guitar can’t really be exactly matched by any other method, even an analog volume pedal.

I didn't explain that very well but yeah, how fast it turns the effect on and off like an adjustable slope. Similar to sweeping an expression pedal up or down in one motion defined in milliseconds rather than an abrupt on and off. It would be useful to me but, is that possible? Or maybe I should phrase that, is that possible yet? :D

And back on the volume pedal thing, I was figuring since my guitars use 500k pots and so do the EV-1s (if I remember right) that it would be a pretty similar effect but I've obviously never tried it out yet.

I didn't explain that very well but yeah, how fast it turns the effect on and off like an adjustable slope. Similar to sweeping an expression pedal up or down in one motion defined in milliseconds rather than an abrupt on and off. It would be useful to me but, is that possible? Or maybe I should phrase that, is that possible yet? :D

And back on the volume pedal thing, I was figuring since my guitars use 500k pots and so do the EV-1s (if I remember right) that it would be a pretty similar effect but I've obviously never tried it out yet.
most footswitches work just like a typical effect pedal would for ease of use. on a regular effect pedal, you press it, it turns on, press it again, it turns off. at the moment you press it. that's how the FC works.

if you're imagining a drive pedal for example, and it's off, then when you press the switch the drive effect fades in over time... that's not how anything works. on is on when you press it. as Bakerman suggested, you could make it very complicated and use the Mix to ramp up the effect like that, but again, it's not really a normal way to do things and complicates things quite a bit with setup.

for the volume thing, the guitar volume knob is affecting the pickups, where a volume pedal after the entire guitar is just adjusting the volume out of the guitar as a whole. it's a subtle difference, and i don't know what your ear would hear between the 2. maybe it would sound the same to you, but to others it wouldn't sound the same.

regardless, analog has no advantage for that compared to the expression/digital control. if anything, using the digital way gives you more options to adjust things in a Volume block for example.

Lookit this before you order.. works great on a EV-1 as well.

I've been doing the rubber band trick on one of my EV-1s since I got it. Broke three so far and I tend to roll them off the bottom, then they get caught under the heel of the pedal and the wah won't turn off. It works but it's not without its problems. Appreciate it though! :)

for the volume thing, the guitar volume knob is affecting the pickups, where a volume pedal after the entire guitar is just adjusting the volume out of the guitar as a whole. it's a subtle difference, and i don't know what your ear would hear between the 2. maybe it would sound the same to you, but to others it wouldn't sound the same.

I wasn't really considering where the guitar's pots are in the signal path I guess. Makes sense. I'll give it a go and see if I can hear the difference through my tinnitus but I like the idea of doing it digitally if there's no audible advantage as you suggest. If I keep it digital I can always run something else with it on a per preset basis so, I'll be happy either way.

I've been doing the rubber band trick on one of my EV-1s since I got it. Broke three so far and I tend to roll them off the bottom, then they get caught under the heel of the pedal and the wah won't turn off. It works but it's not without its problems. Appreciate it though! :)
What kind of rubber bands did you try? I've been using the same two strips of mountain bike tire tube like shown in the video, daily for almost 2 years now and many many weekend gigs, and they haven't moved at all. They are really tight and lay flat, would be impossible to roll off. At least on my Mission - maybe the EV-1 has a steeper angle?

I'm surprised, for me this solution couldn't possibly work any better, it's been flawless 2 years on.

(Edit)I just had a really close look at an image of the EV-1 and I can see that the pivot point is much further forward, and the heel area where the band would go is thinner, pedal surface at the heel is closer to the floor. So I can see how the rubber band trick might not work as well as it does on Mission/Crybaby.

Last edited:
What kind of rubber bands did you try? I've been using the same two strips of mountain bike tire tube like shown in the video, daily for almost 2 years now and many many weekend gigs, and they haven't moved at all. They are really tight and lay flat, would be impossible to roll off. At least on my Mission - maybe the EV-1 has a steeper angle?

I'm surprised, for me this solution couldn't possibly work any better, it's been flawless 2 years on.

(Edit)I just had a really close look at an image of the EV-1 and I can see that the pivot point is much further forward, and the heel area where the band would go is thinner, pedal surface at the heel is closer to the floor. So I can see how the rubber band trick might not work as well as it does on Mission/Crybaby.

I've considered drilling small holes in the sides of the pedal and making something for the rubber bands to sort of loop onto and my foot wouldn't even touch them. Part of me wants the Mission pedal just because it looks like a Cry Baby though not gonna lie. :D

I've considered drilling small holes in the sides of the pedal and making something for the rubber bands to sort of loop onto and my foot wouldn't even touch them. Part of me wants the Mission pedal just because it looks like a Cry Baby though not gonna lie. :D
Ha, well I can very confidently say the rubber bands work perfectly with no downside on a Crybaby pedal, which is same physical pedal as the 1st gen Mission.

If I needed another spring-return expression pedal, I'd pick up another used old Crybaby off craigslist and convert it to expression, and then cut up another bike tube!

Anyway, sorry to derail your FC6 thread! As you were...

Ha, well I can very confidently say the rubber bands work perfectly with no downside on a Crybaby pedal, which is same physical pedal as the 1st gen Mission.

If I needed another spring-return expression pedal, I'd pick up another used old Crybaby off craigslist and convert it to expression, and then cut up another bike tube!

Anyway, sorry to derail your FC6 thread! As you were...

No worries.

In fact if anyone wants to run with my idea because I probably won't, the thought I was having was to drill small holes about ten percent of the way up from the heel on the sides, tap them and thread small bolts in to hook the rubber band on from the bottom. That way it would never slip off or be touched by your foot. The kicker was going to be, paint Frankenstein's face on the pedal. With the bolts sticking out the sides it would be pretty hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom