Finally got a good Mu-Tron tone

@cje - Care to share the Wah block, envelope filter and controller settings you created for the FM9T? I've got one that is close but not as perfect as my AX8 settings. I love my AX8 but this FM9T sounds absolutely huge. I, too, am looking forward to a real Mutron.

Thank you, Cliff!

Incidentally, if you ever want to reverse engineer a Sarno SMS Classic Preamp with the Jerry Garcia Mod, I'd be happy to send you one of mine.

@cje - Care to share the Wah block, envelope filter and controller settings you created for the FM9T? I've got one that is close but not as perfect as my AX8 settings. I love my AX8 but this FM9T sounds absolutely huge. I, too, am looking forward to a real Mutron.

Thank you, Cliff!

Incidentally, if you ever want to reverse engineer a Sarno SMS Classic Preamp with the Jerry Garcia Mod, I'd be happy to send you one of mine.
My settings are in my initial post

Leon Todd videos that helped

1:

2:

These are my settings (see attached)

Worthy of mentioning is that I think the mutron effect is nicer after a comp block if you have that in your chain. I also like the sound of adding slapback delay and the 80’s chorus block preset. Seems to juice things up and make it pop more. It sounds good without the delay and slapback too, they’re just sweeteners.

Which block are you showing in your 3rd .jpg image from your second post in this topic? Thanks.

Update: Never mind, figured it out. That is the screen you get when you click on 'Controllers' with no block selected.

Last edited:
wow, thanks for this man, dialed it in on your settings then just had to adjust the envelope setting as my pickups must be quite a bit lower output than yours, but good god is that fun! I used to have a Q-tron back in the day that was pretty fun (when it was working) - I' think I'm going to add this to my main gigging preset and break it out next show. Attached the the block in case anyone else is on a strat and wants it.

a quick first rip!

Attachments

• MuTron_20231208_175912.blk
    387 bytes · Views: 49
wow, thanks for this man, dialed it in on your settings then just had to adjust the envelope setting as my pickups must be quite a bit lower output than yours, but good god is that fun! I used to have a Q-tron back in the day that was pretty fun (when it was working) - I' think I'm going to add this to my main gigging preset and break it out next show. Attached the the block in case anyone else is on a strat and wants it.

a quick first rip!

Thanks man, I owe my experience to Leon Todd honestly, he’s the master that helped me piece it together.

Thank you, Cliff!

Hey there - sorry, been off the board for a bit. Here are my settings. Keep in mind that with an envelope filter, one man's treasure is another man's trash! So many variables go into setting the envelop juuust right! I'll try to get a clip posted, either the guitar alone or with a backing track.

Attachments

• env1.png
    env1.png
    515.5 KB · Views: 29
  • env2.png
    env2.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 28
I reverse engineered a Mutron last week. Just haven't had time to code the algorithm.
I've claimed for ages I've had no issues matching my newer mu-tron micro tron iv with a wah block and an envelope on it. Anything revolutionary come up when you reverse engineered it? It always felt like the envelope was the real sauce -- that's what made it feel interesting to play. The actual filter section never looked particularly different from any wah schematic I've looked at.

Just thought to thank @GuyJames for his Mutron preset. It made sense to combine this with the Band Commander and keep it simple. Will set this one aside for future reference and as a preset for any Garcia-inspired tunes, likely when the house band breaks out into some Franklin's Tower and some apropos lead occurs.

Here's a recording of me using my envelope filter settings posted above. HUGE shoutout to Jeff Williams and his Jeff Williams Guitar YouTube channel! He creates some of the most amazing and fun backing tracks for guitar! At some point I activated the delay block, and at 4:10 you can hear the guitar without the envelop filter for a little bit.

https://on.soundcloud.com/fjSUR

It's curious and interesting to me that playing anything with an obvious envelope repsponse changes my playing some, and makes it easier to hear in a way. Last night I had a bitchin' MuTron thing going, thanks to this thread, along with two Synth patches with envelope filters, and I must have played for an hour without stopping. I was goofing around, riffing with all the modal variations of a dominant chord resolving, and it was hypnotic. Something about the synth tones really made all the fun chord scales stand out, I dunno. It was a blast! What a fun toy to play with!

It's curious and interesting to me that playing anything with an obvious envelope repsponse changes my playing some, and makes it easier to hear in a way. Last night I had a bitchin' MuTron thing going, thanks to this thread, along with two Synth patches with envelope filters, and I must have played for an hour without stopping. I was goofing around, riffing with all the modal variations of a dominant chord resolving, and it was hypnotic. Something about the synth tones really made all the fun chord scales stand out, I dunno. It was a blast! What a fun toy to play with!

I feel the same way, the responsiveness to touch adds another dimension to your playing that transcends mere gimmickry. Like all effects with this much character, I find it sage to avoid too much of a good thing. Akin to the obligatory reggae vamp/breakdown in a jam band :grin:

Last edited:
I feel the same way, the responsiveness to touch adds another dimension to your playing that transcends mere gimmickry. Like all effects with this much character, I find it sage to avoid too much of a good thing. Akin to the obligatory reggae vamp/breakdown in a jam band :grin:
Over-use an effect? Moi? Never!! 🤣😒

well, maybe...

a quick first rip!

Dumb question. I can't seem to find a way to import this block. Presets yes but I have never imported a single block only syx files not .blk. Thanks

Dumb question. I can't seem to find a way to import this block. Presets yes but I have never imported a single block only syx files not .blk. Thanks
I think you would right click on the block in FM9 edit and select Library>Recall and then choose the block. You may need to copy the block into your Library file location first though. I'm not at the unit currently but if that doesn't work someone else can likely give you a more detailed solution.

If the Mutron is the only thing you're importing, save the .blk to your Fractal Audio documents folder within the blocks folder. Then, once you've powered up your FM9 and FM9-Edit, refresh the library. To access the Mutron block, select a wah block, then under the block tab, scroll down to Recall > Library > WahWah > Mutron (or saved file name).

Having fun is a goal accomplished

Back
Top Bottom