Finally finding that guitar tone

For me, guitar tone is not monotheistic. Instead, it is is a diverse plurality. There is no
"one" tone to be sought, just a variety to be enjoyed for different purposes and contexts.

I also think some psychology comes into play in these types of questions. Some people
could be given the keys to Return to the Garden of Eden and still find a thousand ways
to be miserable, and look for lack versus the abundance that surrounds them. I try not
to be that guy. Occasionally, I succeed. :)

I wonder if the subjective experience of great tone is momentary and fleeting, because it exists
in direct relationship to the mood we are in at that moment, and the context of those we are playing
with, or not playing with. Pretty sure that "great tone," like Nature, does not exist in a vaccuum.

Gets tricky when you you have a few different guitars. I seem to get my best tones out of a single coil pickup. I don't even know if you need a double humbucker for the reasons you used to with what you can do to it, maybe better to shape your tone starting we with a single coil?

A "diverse plurality" for me, no single 'tone', although I have some faves I return to.

Typically it's more like a discovery or exploration process. I gel with some tones/styles one day and not really the next. The interaction with the tone/preset, my fingers and mood all play a part.

Back
Top Bottom