FINALLY!!!! A solution to the age old FRFR issue of....

Very cool, can we see a couple pics of your rig with these?
Yep, I'll try to take a couple of pics tonight or over the weekend, but they look just like the one in the original post. Right now, the AxeFx and a Matrix amp (not being used) are in a 4U rack - nothing special. But... I had ordered a new 4U that is housed in a more traditional "Vintage British" looking rack design - http://stagecraftgear.com/product/british-vintage-rack/. It should arrive on Monday, so might wait for pics after that. These guys have a lot of options as well.

I haven't tried any of the various EQ settings yet.

The presets in the XiTone are very cool.
One thing I didn't mention was that when I used the presets that turn off the tweeter, and also turned off my Cab Sim (in the Axe), it sounded excellent. At that point, it's acting as a powered open back guitar cab....and it did a great job of that.
And likely by sheer luck, I did not need to tweak my presets....I just turned off the Cab Sim and it sounded great.

With the XiTone open back it is truly allowing sound/resonance to exit the back of the cab. This results in a real open back feel....rather than having an IR of an Open Back cab be pumped through a sealed FRFR wedge.
For that reason, the sound 'spread' around the room more....which is exactly what you would expect, right?

Because I am more of a high gain chug player, I like the tightest cab possible ....so I like my XiTone sealed wedge better for high gain.
This is the same reason that people will own 2 guitar cabs....one sealed, one open back.....they have different uses and purposes.

If I was a clean/mid gain player, I would not hesitate....this would be the cab for me.

Hi BBN,

I'd like to ask how far away in tightness is the Xitone Open back versus the Wedge? I'd be playing mostly mid gain stuff with it but I also enjoy a fair amount of high gain chugging too. If you only have one Xitone, would the Xitone Open Back be good enough to do the job for your high gain stuff?

Last edited:
This took a little longer than expected, but here are a couple of pics of my stereo rig with these XiTone open back cabs. Swapped out the usual rack case with this "vintage british" looking case from StageCraft. Because of the 19" rack width, and depth, it's a little bit bigger than than the cabinet. The StageCraft guys position the rubber feet so that it still sits nice and securely on top.

I put them side-by-side for the pics, but normally keep them separated so that I can enjoy the full stereo effect. I have a 3rd XiTone cab (not the open back though) and have thought about experimenting with a Fractal/XiTone WDW rig. But that would require more time than I have right now to set up custom patches to take advantage of that.

I think these look great and sound even better.

E431CD0E-EE04-4B4E-BFBA-2E5DAFACD8E3_zpsg6eq01bj.jpg

A3DD1325-DA85-4B31-81D0-873980DC7A1F_zps9l74czld.jpg

0F7D12E8-C6A1-42E2-A0AB-D7CA52FF6447_zpswwckdhbp.jpg

This took a little longer than expected, but here are a couple of pics of my stereo rig with these XiTone open back cabs. Swapped out the usual rack case with this "vintage british" looking case from StageCraft. Because of the 19" rack width, and depth, it's a little bit bigger than than the cabinet. The StageCraft guys position the rubber feet so that it still sits nice and securely on top.

I put them side-by-side for the pics, but normally keep them separated so that I can enjoy the full stereo effect. I have a 3rd XiTone cab (not the open back though) and have thought about experimenting with a Fractal/XiTone WDW rig. But that would require more time than I have right now to set up custom patches to take advantage of that.

I think these look great and sound even better.

E431CD0E-EE04-4B4E-BFBA-2E5DAFACD8E3_zpsg6eq01bj.jpg

A3DD1325-DA85-4B31-81D0-873980DC7A1F_zps9l74czld.jpg

0F7D12E8-C6A1-42E2-A0AB-D7CA52FF6447_zpswwckdhbp.jpg

Awesome rig and excellent pics! I bet those things just fill the room!

Whoa. I was just talking to a friend today saying a pair of the new, open back XiTones is exactly what I want to do for my live setup. This looks fantastic.

How is it working live and loud with the band? Not too hard to get heard over the din of the bass and drums and keys?

How is it working live and loud with the band? Not too hard to get heard over the din of the bass and drums and keys?

I wish I could give more than an opinion here, but my live band days are mostly in the past. I haven't used this rig outside of my home studio. I have cranked it up a few times, and it is loud (and sounds great loud). No doubt loud enough for stage volume. I would guess that cutting through everything else would be related to EQ matters, and you have no limitations there.

I think a pair of these would be awesome live.

Bump

Anyone else tried these, mainly at band volume?

Yes, I've used my Open-Back at two gigs now. We probably run, what Metal-folk would consider, a moderate stage volume...probably averaging 105db to 115db on stage. We have a 5 piece band, two guitars, bass and drums and do a lot of outdoor gigs but the Xitone has never run out of power, sounded flabby or compressed. Obviously, this little monster is just cruising at rehearsal volume. Please check out the review I just posted in "Amps & Cabs" for more info.

Back
Top Bottom