FINALLY!!!! A solution to the age old FRFR issue of....

Looks great Mick, now that my amp gas is gone thanks to the Axe FX, my cab gas seems to be increasing thanks to you ;)

Love my 1x12

That looks awesome! I was waiting on something like this...I am glad that you're making these. How does it sound with heavy/hard rock setup? Thank you!!

That looks awesome! I was waiting on something like this...I am glad that you're making these. How does it sound with heavy/hard rock setup? Thank you!!

Hey sevenstring!

Depends on how you like your low end. Due to the open back nature of this cab we have to keep the bottom end tight in order to protect the 12" driver.

The low end roll-off slopes are kinda steep... well, the lowest one is...

So, an interesting story... I actually get with the Eminence engineers every time I do something that is a little out of the norm as I don't want to void any warranties or send anything out that won't be 100% for the long haul.

I sent them an email with what I had in mind... reply was what I expected... probably going to sound kinda thin since the 12CX was not engineered to be in an open baffle type scenario. That was what I was predicting. Only makes sense on paper.

Well, once I got the cab built and starting dialing it in we were all like... dang.. this thing really sounds good...

Just goes to show... T/S parameters certainly have their place and they should be properly regarded but they are also not absolutes... sometimes you can color outside the lines and really like the result!

Thanks,

Mick

Hey Mic, in your opinion, how flat/accurate is it? Does the open back nature take away from that while giving an open bak vibe, etc.

Hey Mic, in your opinion, how flat/accurate is it? Does the open back nature take away from that while giving an open bak vibe, etc.

Hey jlynn,

Here is a pic of what I measure. These are traces of modes 1 and 7. Mode 1 of course is FRFR with the tweeter in play and the lower roll-off in the bottom end and Mode 7 is FRFR with the 12" only with the higher roll-off in the high end.

I cannot stress enough that this is my own internal measuring and that while it does show flat, it shows flat with the cab raised off the floor several feet, tilted 45 degrees (but measured on-axis) with no boundary to either side for 50ft or so and no boundary in front for maybe 80-90ft. I am very fortunate to have a HUGE room that is somewhat acoustically treated to test and measure in but it is not an anechoic chamber.

I will be sending some cabs out for independent testing before too much longer though... just not got around to it yet.

1%20and%207_zpshor8f9mk.jpg

It definitely has an open backed vibe, no doubt about that. The open back certainly changed the characteristics of the 12CX as compared to a sealed cab or wedge but it wasn't something that was huge to overcome either.

Another interesting little fact about this cab is that you can actually skip modelers all together and put some pedals in front of it.... not the best I know but using mode 7 above or using the FRFR Bypass mode you could get by in a pinch if you had an issue with your modeler.

Thanks,

Mick

enough talking. Back to work! ;-))))))) (Thanks for the details)

Yes Sir... right away Sir!!!! :)

(slowly and mischievously moves production of the super secret 10" cab with space aged features approved by NASA and that also features Bluetooth connectivity to the Hadron Collider to the very back burner... the one way back on the left.. almost out of the building...)

just kidding... I promise!!!! :)

Mick, any thoughts to making a passive cab?

Yes actually. After we discovered that the active version sounded so good, I got with Eminence to see if we could design a driver that would work passively. After some back and forth, we have a prototype in the works.. normally takes about 6-8 weeks before I get prototypes.. as soon as I know how it's gonna do I'll let everyone know.

Hey jlynn,

Here is a pic of what I measure. These are traces of modes 1 and 7. Mode 1 of course is FRFR with the tweeter in play and the lower roll-off in the bottom end and Mode 7 is FRFR with the 12" only with the higher roll-off in the high end.

I cannot stress enough that this is my own internal measuring and that while it does show flat, it shows flat with the cab raised off the floor several feet, tilted 45 degrees (but measured on-axis) with no boundary to either side for 50ft or so and no boundary in front for maybe 80-90ft. I am very fortunate to have a HUGE room that is somewhat acoustically treated to test and measure in but it is not an anechoic chamber.

I will be sending some cabs out for independent testing before too much longer though... just not got around to it yet.

1%20and%207_zpshor8f9mk.jpg

It definitely has an open backed vibe, no doubt about that. The open back certainly changed the characteristics of the 12CX as compared to a sealed cab or wedge but it wasn't something that was huge to overcome either.

Another interesting little fact about this cab is that you can actually skip modelers all together and put some pedals in front of it.... not the best I know but using mode 7 above or using the FRFR Bypass mode you could get by in a pinch if you had an issue with your modeler.

Thanks,

Mick
i volunteer as an independent tester! half joking, but seriously, if you need anyone i'd be happy to help. I play styles that would normally use an open back cab (country to modern worship type stuff). i'd use it as backline in a church of 6k 5 times a weekend in a large band context. (3-4guitars, bass, 2 keys, drums, stems, singers, occasional violin or cello)

i volunteer as an independent tester! half joking, but seriously, if you need anyone i'd be happy to help. I play styles that would normally use an open back cab (country to modern worship type stuff). i'd use it as backline in a church of 6k 5 times a weekend in a large band context. (3-4guitars, bass, 2 keys, drums, stems, singers, occasional violin or cello)

Thanks for the offer!

Is there enough room on the bottom to put one of those tilt bars you have on your other cabs?

Yes Sir... sure is!

Man oh man I've gotta hear one of these in person!!!

Mick, you never stop evolving!!

How many cabinet designs have you done so far?

I would love one of these with tilt back made to look like a reliced Tweed Bassman / Twin.

Reliced blonde tolex and reliced oxblood grill, leather "bone" handle etc.

Man oh man I've gotta hear one of these in person!!!

Mick, you never stop evolving!!

How many cabinet designs have you done so far?

Thanks BBN!

I've done more than a few for sure! With the CNC machine now I can do even more quicker!

I've got a 10" wedge with a curved front coming out in a week or two!

I would love one of these with tilt back made to look like a reliced Tweed Bassman / Twin.

Reliced blonde tolex and reliced oxblood grill, leather "bone" handle etc.

hhhhmmm, sounds like an interesting project for sure! Could actually replicate the exact size (or really close) of the Bassman or Twin and get the tilt back legs like Fender used to install.. I think I found a distributor for those...

I've never done a relic before but I have 3 cats and a 7 year old.. shouldn't be hard! :)

Thanks BBN!

I've done more than a few for sure! With the CNC machine now I can do even more quicker!

I've got a 10" wedge with a curved front coming out in a week or two!

hhhhmmm, sounds like an interesting project for sure! Could actually replicate the exact size (or really close) of the Bassman or Twin and get the tilt back legs like Fender used to install.. I think I found a distributor for those...

I've never done a relic before but I have 3 cats and a 7 year old.. shouldn't be hard! :)

Hi Mick,

Ive never tried or heard one of your cabs in person but im intrigued by your designs and have read alot of good reviews. anyway, i was just going to ask if you were going to build this version in a wedge? i guess you are, or can this be done in an open back version somehow?, maybe dumb question... These cabs do look awesome with the open back, i guess i could just tilt them up as well? thanks for the info

Yes Sir... right away Sir!!!! :)

(slowly and mischievously moves production of the super secret 10" cab with space aged features approved by NASA and that also features Bluetooth connectivity to the Hadron Collider to the very back burner... the one way back on the left.. almost out of the building...)

just kidding... I promise!!!! :)

...als if you read my mind. :). Please don't forget that old school coffee mug holder on the right side...

Hi Mick,

Ive never tried or heard one of your cabs in person but im intrigued by your designs and have read alot of good reviews. anyway, i was just going to ask if you were going to build this version in a wedge? i guess you are, or can this be done in an open back version somehow?, maybe dumb question... These cabs do look awesome with the open back, i guess i could just tilt them up as well? thanks for the info

Well, the open back kinda requires the unit to be in a backline situation... using a wedge behind is actually a pretty cool deal and yes, I think I can work it out to make a wedge open back enough to work out! Send me an email if you want and we can discuss more specifics.

...als if you read my mind. :). Please don't forget that old school coffee mug holder on the right side...

ya know.. a cup holder on this cab would not be a hard thing at all to do!!!!! How big around should the inside of the holder be and how deep? :)

Back
Top Bottom