Figuring out a plan for expression pedals...

TD77

Inspired
I know this is very much an individual preference but I cant seem to decide on how I am going to use the expression pedals with the FM3. I bought two and originally had the thought that I would use one for a volume/wah and the other for controlling delays, reverbs etc. But now that I have the FM3, I'm realizing I really need access to a tap tempo (tuner not so much because its always on in the display and works for me). I have read about enabling a switch for tap temp via a hold feature. But, doing this will take away one of the factory functions. Out of the box the left button allows you to bank down...the middle to switch from scenes to presets.....and the right to bank up. All of these I think I will need. So I'm thinking....

Use one of the fractal pedals as a traditional volume going right into the input. Use the other one for any wah, reverb and delay controls etc. And pick up an external switch to dedicate for tap tempo. Seems like this would fit the bill but wondering if Im missing any other potential beneficial setups. I know deciding on a path now, before I start building presets, will save me a lot of time. Appreciate hearing how anyone has gone about setting up their rig for expression pedals. I know the option is there for the additional controller but I'm not looking to go that route. I want to keep my footprint small and make the FM3 work as best I can on its own.

If you pickup an external switch, I'd get something that will give you two buttons, Boss FS7, etc. In my setup, I'm using the bottom button for tap-tempo and hold for tuner. Top button takes me to preset or scene layouts.

I've seen others that use the extra buttons to do things like view+1/-1, etc. I love having the buttons and use my pedal on a per-preset level.

I've refrained from making this any larger footprint as well. I have an Axe III that covers my bases for that. This rig is small and tight for when I don't need to go too crazy. Although... you can get pretty crazy with it!

If you pickup an external switch, I'd get something that will give you two buttons, Boss FS7, etc. In my setup, I'm using the bottom button for tap-tempo and hold for tuner. Top button takes me to preset or scene layouts.

I've seen others that use the extra buttons to do things like view+1/-1, etc. I love having the buttons and use my pedal on a per-preset level.

I've refrained from making this any larger footprint as well. I have an Axe III that covers my bases for that. This rig is small and tight for when I don't need to go too crazy. Although... you can get pretty crazy with it!
Good idea on the two button switch. Seems the ability to assign these is limitless.

I use two expression pedals in my rig as well, and rely heavily on tap tempo as my band never seems to play the same songs at exactly the same tempo. I get around this by adding tap tempo and tuner to view 4 (far right switch) of my perform layout. I then assign a hold feature on the left switch of view 1 to go to view 4 (or decrement view -1). In view 4 I have a hold feature to get back to view 1.

When a song starts, I select the sound I need to start the song, navigate to view 4 (1 hold), tap the tempo, and then go back to view 1 (1 hold) before I need to make any other changes. This has worked really well for me and eliminated the need for an extra pair of switches.

I use two expression pedals in my rig as well, and rely heavily on tap tempo as my band never seems to play the same songs at exactly the same tempo. I get around this by adding tap tempo and tuner to view 4 (far right switch) of my perform layout. I then assign a hold feature on the left switch of view 1 to go to view 4 (or decrement view -1). In view 4 I have a hold feature to get back to view 1.

When a song starts, I select the sound I need to start the song, navigate to view 4 (1 hold), tap the tempo, and then go back to view 1 (1 hold) before I need to make any other changes. This has worked really well for me and eliminated the need for an extra pair of switches.
Your band never plays the same tempo too? Lol. Ok so the far right switch....you obviously lose the factory default of banking up correct? I guess I’m going to need an extra switch because I want the ability to bank up and down.

No, I can still bank up and down. Change presets, scenes, channels. I Just have to bounce back and fourth between a couple of layouts. I usually only have to change presets between songs, so I have more time and don't have to worry about thinking about layouts and views while I am playing. Otherwise, I have everything mapped to scenes so during a song, I am on one layout with access to all 8 scenes, IA for drive, phaser, boost, tuner and tap tempo (and have two expression pedals and no external switches).

I just played a gig with this last Friday and it worked like a charm.

My setup:

Two expression pedals into a Morningstar MC6 into the FM3 via MIDI. I have a two-button Bright Onion switch plugged into the Pedal 1 jack on the FM3 and I have that assigned to Tap tempo and Tuner. With the MC6, you still get to use expression two expression pedals without sacrificing the pedal jacks on the FM3, plus you get 6 more buttons to program things with, all in a tiny package!

Last edited:
My setup:

Two expression pedals into a Morningstar MC6 into the FM3 via MID. I have a two-button Bright Onion switch plugged into the Pedal 1 jack on the FM3 and I have that assigned to Tap tempo and Tuner. With the MC6, you still get to use expression two expression pedals without sacrificing the pedal jacks on the FM3, plus you get 6 more buttons to program things with, all in a tiny package!

That's exactly what my setup has morphed into since getting my FM3 late last week. Two expression pedals into the MC6, two button switch into Pedal Jack - one is assigned to tap tempo, the other is currently setup to summon the Looper view on the FM3. I'm still working out how I'm gonna integrate the MC6 switches.
Of course, it still needs to be "battle tested" at an actual gig to determine what tweaking will be required.

Back
Top Bottom