Fender Tone Master Pro....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think fracal could steal the WHOLE market if they come up with a slick gui
There's "slick" and then there is market lowest common denominator. I worry that the things about the UI that the masses get concerned about are actually well thought out/evolved from a design perspective. Always room for refinement of course, but at the moment I don't really share the complaints many seem to have.

There's good reason why computer interface design moved away from earlier skeuomorphism. Of course "slick" doesn't have to be that! :)

i think fracal could steal the WHOLE market if they come up with a slick gui
I wish that were the case, but the online and in-store presence of the competitors product far exceeds that of Fractal. The big guys spend a lot of money on advertising, which gets them returns on investment. I do think that Fractal needs to make the switch to a touchscreen GUI, as that is "today". There's a reason a number of the competitors are going in that direction. There's very little comparison in terms of ease of setup and usability when you compare to the TMP.

What you can do with a Fractal unit, any of their units, is far beyond what you can do with most of the competitive product, particularly over the TMP. The problem is that many people don't know that Fractal even exists. They have no retail presence in the stores, or online, aside from their own site. I'm sure that's by design, as I'm sure that there is a demand from the retailers and distributors to carry the product, but I would imagine that Cliff has a different vision in mind.

Just played my TMP again for about an hour, through headphones and I may yet take that thing back and just buy an FM9 turbo. As slick as the UI is, it really doesn't offer very much in terms of tone, nor does it have any real ability to vary the tone, other than placement of the microphone and type of microphone on the IR's. There's no tweaking ability over and above what any of the stock amplifiers can do, which is limited to exactly what they can do in an analog version. There's a real lack of overdrive / distortion pedals as well, and senior that may come in the future, who knows how long that'll take and where it'll actually get at the end of the day.

Shocking audible difference. You would think that the manufacturer who's modeling their own app, could have gotten it identical... Lol.

The Quad Cortex and the fractal are damn close to the real thing. I really couldn't hear much difference between those two and the amp itself, whereas on the TMP there was a massive difference, and not in a good way.

I’ve been working with the TMP and FR12 for the past few days. I just finished my longest session ever with it. I compared several of the models against the real thing - 65 Twin, 65 Princeton, Deluxe, Plexi, AC30. The Twin was the best to my ears. The rest, even after much manipulation, weren’t even in the same ballpark. But I could probably gig with the Twin. I’m not high gain guy.

I own and gigged AXE FXII for many years - both DI and FRFR and with an Atomic amp in to a traditional 2x12 cab. I own a Kemper powered head and Kabinet - mostly just to capture my amps. I use a Two Rock Bloomfield Drive amp and a pedal board with my bands. I own approx 30 tube amps - most boutique varieties. I have a studio and large rehearsal space.

I‘m really struggling to get an inspiring tone from the TMP. The UI is fantastic. By far the most intuitive of the units I’ve worked with. It’s magnificentky simple. I have a little bit of touchscreen lag but nothing that impedes my progress. It’s a large, well built unit. The quality seems spot on. I’ll keep screwing around with it but so far, from a tone perspective, it’s my least favorite of the digital modelers. And yes, I do hear the digital artifacts - especially as notes fade out. It’s actually kind of painful - not to the ears, but to the soul.

I usually love Fender stuff. Please take my post with a grain of salt. A lot of folks are raving about this unit.

well as i said from my research and not hands on It would appear fractal has its content down. The recent reverb drip updates may have been due to the buzz about the tmp convolution reverb but no matter..its a welcome update. Cliff may be anti touchscreen and thats his view as the designer and maker of fractal but i think he may see a need for a friendlier gui interface in the future which would be cool as well.
The fact that fender is in a ton of stores helps fender alot for sure

Last edited:
Shocking audible difference. You would think that the manufacturer who's modeling their own app, could have gotten it identical... Lol.

The Quad Cortex and the fractal are damn close to the real thing. I really couldn't hear much difference between those two and the amp itself, whereas on the TMP there was a massive difference, and not in a good way.

Well there is about a foot long disclaimer that has been added since.

John Cordy recently put up a video about why he sold his TMP. Basically, it didn't knock him out. There are other units he likes better, and for less money.

Why is there something wrong with the sound in that clip?
Recorded behind the FOH system. The drummer’s on an electronic kit. It’s basically a silent stage with the roar of the FOH system overtaking the monitors, if they’re even on.

recorded on someones phone?

Recorded behind the FOH system. The drummer’s on an electronic kit. It’s basically a silent stage with the roar of the FOH system overtaking the monitors, if they’re even on.

Actually what I should have posted is “why? Is there a problem with the sound?”

Never thought I’d see the day people questioning Joe Satriani’s choice of gear ..
What’s next some weekend warrior questioning what clubs Tiger Woods is using? Joe has probably forgotten more than most of us will ever learn about guitar.

Last edited:
Actually what I should have posted is “why? Is there a problem with the sound?”

Never thought I’d see the day people questioning Joe Satriani’s choice of gear ..
What’s next some weekend warrior questioning what clubs Tiger Woods is using? Joe has probably forgotten more than most of us will ever learn about guitar.
and your point is? I was surprised he was using that and that isnt meaning anything about his technical guitar skills. If i was not feeling his tone in that vid or the other stern vids thats my opinion and it doesnt mean anything about his skills. geez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom