Fender Tone Master Pro....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw Ola's demo on my Youtube feed this morning. Looks interesting. Im kinda interesed in the FRFR cab. wonder how it'd sound with the AF3....

Out of curiosity i just checked my local chain store and they have a FRFR in stock already. Well that was fast.

The simplicity and UI on this device is going to make a lot of sense for people who don't like deep diving menus. As Leon says, it probably won't appeal to someone who wants/needs the tweakability that Fractal provides but for someone who is new to modeling, this might be a good solution.

This thing seems to have a lot going for it. The quality of sounds (seems quite good so far), number of effects/amps, and routing options are some of my early questions. The UI looks phenomenal. Gapless preset switching...at first glance it definitely looks like a contender.

This thing seems to have a lot going for it. The quality of sounds (seems quite good so far), number of effects/amps, and routing options are some of my early questions. The UI looks phenomenal. Gapless preset switching...at first glance it definitely looks like a contender.
Yeah, I'm impressed with what I have heard so far. When I first saw this leak I thought Fender was insane to enter this market with competitors who have been in the game for over a decade now. But honestly, the UI is extremely intuitive, the thing has 8 cores (whatever that means nowadays) and the I/O is really strong. As a singer, having the ability to run a microphone into an XLR input rather than having to use an XLR to TS/TRS is great. Ultimately the difference to me is in the tweakability, quality of effects and amps, and number of amps/effects. I am also always wary of touch screens because if they break/fuck up you are screwed. There is a lot on this unit that could break and it would mean game over. I personally want to experience what the models feel like as well. All modelers sound pretty good these days, but it is the feel and the reaction of the models that sets Fractal apart to me. All that said, I went from being completely uninterested to intrigued based on what I've seen, so kudos to Fender for coming out swinging.

Fender has been doing the combo amp modeling of some of their amps for a while, so that piece is not new to them. (Heck, even Mike McCready is using one of their modelling combos now). The floor modeling form factor is new to them though. Interesting that they also use two major innovations from the Cortex, the color touch screen and the twiddly foot switches.

Something else that's cool (I think):

1696362816730.png

Like on their micro amp too, pretty convenient for that travelling form factor at least (I have the micro amp, good enough for travel practice).

Sounds like all amps have the same power amp or something. The models mostly sound good at first, but hearing them past 10 seconds a little fatigue sets in with something in the mids/lows. Also sounds unnaturally compressed esp with their built in cabs. I know live I’d be cutting so much low end with those stock tones. I think so many players will disappear in the mix instantly with how it sounds.

Very interesting device with a little borrowed from every major modeler. I think the non-fender tones I heard really missed the mark. And some fender tones felt a bit flat compared to other modelers. Touch screens are so hard to use quickly, and the knobs to adjust things aren’t consistent - treble is on switch 9 with one amp, on switch 11 with a different one. You have to tap the screen to change selections, then move your hand far down to the knobs to adjust things once you’ve found where it is for that selection specifically.

Interesting.

Just did some research regards the ToneMaster Pro. MSRP = that of an FM9T.
Tonemaster Pro sports 33 amps and 92 effects. ToneMaster Pro has only (1) XLR and (1) ¼" output. Compare to FM9.
Fender FRFR powered cabinet 1x10 equals that of a QSC CP8, weighs more, plywood construction, has onboard 3-band EQ. 1x12 is $50 extra.

While in a more compact size, IMHO, the ToneMaster Pro is priced above the FM9 and delivers far less features than the FM9.

Just saying. Am not here to pour cold water on your enthusiasm. Just doing the homework and math before stepping up and even considering handing over my dough for a product that I already own that does a better job with greater variety.

Just did some research regards the ToneMaster Pro. MSRP = that of an FM9T.
Tonemaster Pro sports 33 amps and 92 effects. ToneMaster Pro has only (1) XLR and (1) ¼" output. Compare to FM9.
Fender FRFR powered cabinet 1x10 equals that of a QSC CP8, weighs more, plywood construction, has onboard 3-band EQ. 1x12 is $50 extra.

While in a more compact size, IMHO, the ToneMaster Pro is priced above the FM9 and delivers far less features than the FM9.

Just saying. Am not here to pour cold water on your enthusiasm. Just doing the homework and math before stepping up and even considering handing over my dough for a product that I already own that does a better job with greater variety.
All completely valid points. Like I said, I think that this is going to appeal to someone who needs a simplified UI at the expense of features. Basically someone new to modeling or with limited needs. The gapless switching is something else that I think is really going to push the competition as well, which is great for us as consumers. It really all comes down to what you need as a player.

kept hearing "4 Loops"! and thinking wow!, till I checked a close up of the back panel and see they count Left and Right as two separate loops (unless those are TRS for L/R each which I kinda doubt but maybe) - lame to market it as a unit with "4 loops".

All completely valid points. Like I said, I think that this is going to appeal to someone who needs a simplified UI at the expense of features. Basically someone new to modeling or with limited needs. The gapless switching is something else that I think is really going to push the competition as well, which is great for us as consumers. It really all comes down to what you need as a player.
TBH, my feeling is that it's currently overpriced and is designed to compete with Helix, which provides additional I/Os and connectivity compared to the ToneMaster. The ToneMaster's features place it closer to the HeadRush Prime, though the gapless switching is something other modelers are trying to solve.

You might note that FAS is stepping up with gapless switching, mentioning scene controllers as a way to achieve this. Plz view G66.eu's recent YT videos for additional info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom