Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Or do.. do take it too far.
Not to promote defacing public works...

But the first one of you that paints this logo on the first stop sign leaving the executive parking lot at FMIC headquarters in Scottsdale Az (and posts a photo here).. gets a free V2 and this virtual beer 🍺
*FMIC executives, shareholders, employees, contractors, engineers, bean counters, sales bitches, the entire product development team, and trolls are entirely exempt from this promotion..

🤣

IMG_1395.jpeg

On a slightly more serious note (barely)... the first 7 of you on the waitlist , and my 2 awesome beta testers, get one of these fabulous vintage stickers.

And now my brother @LolainNB has something to play with in photoshop 🙃.
P.s. The font is Bank Gothic stretched a bit on the horizontal 😉

Last edited:
so ...

whats next? :)
I am finished with the final tuning, the first 2 V2s are almost done and getting ready to ship to the V2 Beta testers.

I have enough on the waitlist to justify a hybrid assembly, so I can have most of the components assembled, wave soldered, leads trimmed, and the flux cleaned. I will solder the pots and cables here.

Taiwan and Shenzhen are on spring break though. It happens every year.

It's going to be a few weeks before I am shipping finished V2s. It will be worth the wait.

Here is what a hybrid assembly of an old (2011-2013) Archangel Pre looks like. This is why I don't rush the process. Believe me when I say, you can really hear the difference.

IMG_4660.jpeg

Last edited:
@WKSmith Please add me to the waitlist. I got one for Christmas... and it has the hiss and no modified board.
Thanks,
Lee
Thanks!
PM me your name and email when you get time. I will go ahead and add you, but if you miss a notification on the forum, you could miss a notice of a batch of V2s being released for the waitlist. .. if all I have is your user name here.

I assured FAS admins that I would move sales off this forum. It would be disrespectful to use their platform for a private e-commerce portal. This is all I will post about how V2 sales and the waitlist will work!
PM me an email and a name please.

For all of you ...here is how I am handling the waitlist and Reverb's handling of all sales and shipping...

PM me your name and Email! Don't drop a request here please 🙂 I will respond with my contact info and my personal email.

I am going to release batches of 5-10 pieces at a time on reverb with a price of $500ea. I will also email you or PM you with a unique code ..good for a one time order (of 1 or 2 qty) of the V2 preamp, for placing an offer at the discounted price (that number is still fluid but I am trying to keep it in the $99-109 range (+ shipping ...and customs for international folks ) I will announce the final discounted price and privately send your code in a few weeks.
I will not accept any pre-orders or pre-payment . But thanks to several of you, for offering. ❤️

And if anyone (like I dunno... F-corp) wants to get cute and jump the waitlist ... its gonna cost them as much as the FR-xx does new. ..Or they can wait until the waitlist has run through and buy it for a bit more than this introductory price, which is only for you good and patient folks on the waitlist.

I am doing International sales to most countries that the FR- series are available in. I have had amazing customers all over the world....but the first international person that files a claim for not getting their package in several weeks overseas ....it ruins it for everyone else outside of the US. Don't be that guy. I have been burnt for logistics that are out of my control.

Last edited:
I am hoping the beta testers record video of the disassembly and installation process.
I hope they don't show the boards just yet 🤣
I am building a dummy one for pics and videos with most of the part values changed.

Once they are released for sale, yall can go crazy. Take pics, videos, make a V2 nudes onlyFans page. Put them in your vacation pics....

Last edited:
Thanks!
PM me your name and email when you get time. I will go ahead and add you, but if you miss a notification on the forum, you could miss a notice of a batch of V2s being released for the waitlist. .. if all I have is your user name here.

I assured FAS admins that I would move sales off this forum. It would be disrespectful to use their platform for a private e-commerce portal. This is all I will post about how V2 sales and the waitlist will work!
PM me an email and a name please.

For all of you ...here is how I am handling the waitlist and Reverb's handling of all sales and shipping...

PM me your name and Email! Don't drop a request here please 🙂 I will respond with my contact info and my personal email.

I am going to release batches of 5-10 pieces at a time on reverb with a price of $500ea. I will also email you or PM you with a unique code ..good for a one time order (of 1 or 2 qty) of the V2 preamp, for placing an offer at the discounted price (that number is still fluid but I am trying to keep it in the $99-109 range (+ shipping ...and customs for international folks ) I will announce the final discounted price and privately send your code in a few weeks.
I will not accept any pre-orders or pre-payment . But thanks to several of you, for offering. ❤️

And if anyone (like I dunno... F-corp) wants to get cute and jump the waitlist ... its gonna cost them as much as the FR-xx does new. ..Or they can wait until the waitlist has run through and buy it for a bit more than this introductory price, which is only for you good and patient folks on the waitlist.

I am doing International sales to most countries that the FR- series are available in. I have had amazing customers all over the world....but the first international person that files a claim for not getting their package in several weeks overseas ....it ruins it for everyone else outside of the US. Don't be that guy. I have been burnt for logistics that are out of my control.
I'm gonna be on that like flies on stink!!

Still seemingly a crap shoot over what you'll get. I'm in the UK and just purchased an FR-10. According to the sticker on the box, it shipped to the store I bought it from on 5th February but doesn't have the modded board :(
It's not too hissy but can't help thinking a modded one might be even quieter....

Friendly bump and a side note question for the more savvy engineers in here:

If you clip the output (Out 1 Clip) of your AxeFx and consequently your amp farts out/does the whole sound of death type thing - does this present risk to the speaker or tweeter? I loaded in new FW today and a preset behaved wildly differently than normal and this happened a couple of times and got me thinking. I'm not too concerned, but I'd like to know.

Friendly bump and a side note question for the more savvy engineers in here:

If you clip the output (Out 1 Clip) of your AxeFx and consequently your amp farts out/does the whole sound of death type thing - does this present risk to the speaker or tweeter? I loaded in new FW today and a preset behaved wildly differently than normal and this happened a couple of times and got me thinking. I'm not too concerned, but I'd like to know.
The FR series uses a TDA2050 amp IC with some protection built in, but clipped audio waveforms make nasty harmonics that equal thermal failure for horns and tweeters.

The horn in the FR has a heat sink on the compression driver.. so It can definitely be a problem.

The FR series uses a TDA2050 amp IC with some protection built in, but clipped audio waveforms make nasty harmonics that equal thermal failure for horns and tweeters.

The horn in the FR has a heat sink on the compression driver.. so It can definitely be a problem.
Thanks for the reply.

So in theory it can be an issue. But are we talking in extreme circumstances? Or can you just get incredibly unlucky and f*ck it up after one hit into the red in terms of output clipping? How would you even tell if damage has occurred in this manner?

And does your V2 design have a higher degree of protection in this regard?

Back
Top Bottom