Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Someone at TGF reported buying a brand new FR-10 from Fender, and receiving a noisy version.

It's just bound to happen. As far as i can tell there's absolutely no way to tell both "revisions" apart, short of opening the amp.

Someone at TGF reported buying a brand new FR-10 from Fender, and receiving a noisy version.

It's just bound to happen. As far as i can tell there's absolutely no way to tell both "revisions" apart, short of opening the amp.
I just returned a FR-10 earlier this week that my local music store had received in late December, but the date of manufacture sticker on the box showed 202307 (July, 2023). They have contacted the Fender rep. to request a new model, and I will then report my observations.

I am going to start a formal waitlist for the V2 preamps. It will help me to gauge quantities and pricing (I am trying to keep the target price at or near $99 plus shipping )

If you would please PM me with your name, and email (I won't spam or sell your email or creep in on your Netflix account :tearsofjoy:)
...And maybe include what you think a fair price range would be.

I can still build a small batch here if there is not enough interest to justify outsourcing the assembly, it would just move slower.

Here are some of the features and changes in the V2

1) Uses factory plugs and sockets. No soldering.
2) Adds a clip light under a clear shaft volume pot and clear knob. The clip detector is post eq.
( *the new volume pot requires slightly enlarging the stock chassis hole)
3) The 4 Eq and cut pots are premium custom pots with 40 fine clicks so the knobs stay where you set them.
4) The ICs are socketed and optional soic pads are included for modern opamps.
5) Uses 4 dual channel opamps instead of the stock 16 op amp channels .
6) Jumper on pin headers to enable or defeat the crossover for co-axial speakers with built in crossovers. (Like the fx200 Celestion)
7) Pads included for an optional mute/standby switch
8) Tuned crossover stage to reduce the freq notch at the crossover point.
9) Tuned first two stages to reduce losses, noise, and decrease the make-up gain required by half.
10) Tuned zobel network for horn output.
11) Completely re-designed 4 band Eq
12) Premium PCB and passive components
13) Phantom power protection for the V2 from stock xlr output jack.

Last edited:
I am going to start a formal waitlist for the V2 preamps. It will help me to gauge quantities and pricing (I am trying to keep the target price at or near $99 plus shipping )

If you would please PM me with your name, and email (I won't spam or sell your email or creep in on your Netflix account )

And maybe include what you think a fair price range would be.

I can still build a small batch here if there is not enough interest to justify outsourcing the assembly, it would just move slower.

2) Adds a clip light under a clear shaft volume pot and clear knob. The clip detector is post eq ( *the new volume pot requires slightly enlarging the stock chassis hole)
3) The Eq and cut pots are premium custom pots with 40 fine clicks so the knobs stay where you set them.
4) ICs are socketed and optional soic pads are included for modern opamps.
6) Jumper to enable or defeat the crossover for co-axial speakers with built in crossovers. Like the fx200 celestion
7) Pads for an optional mute/standby switch
9) Tuned first two stages to reduce losses, noise, and decrease the make-up gain required by half.
Does it also have the phantom power protection on the XLR output?

If you would please PM me with your name, and email (I won't spam or sell your email or creep in on your Netflix account )

And maybe include what you think a fair price range would be.

2) Adds a clip light under a clear shaft volume pot and clear knob. The clip detector is post eq ( *the new volume pot requires slightly enlarging the stock chassis hole)
3) The Eq and cut pots are premium custom pots with 40 fine clicks so the knobs stay where you set them.
4) ICs are socketed and optional soic pads are included for modern opamps.
6) Jumper to enable or defeat the crossover for co-axial speakers with built in crossovers. Like the fx200 celestion
7) Pads for an optional mute/standby switch
Is the V2 compatible with both the FR-10 and FR-12? Also, will there be installation instructions for us non-electrical wizards?

Would it generally be possible to add another speaker input? I know it's kinda dumb running two L/R sources to a single speaker but was just curious what that would take to implement or if it's even feasible (generally).

Would it generally be possible to add another speaker input? I know it's kinda dumb running two L/R sources to a single speaker but was just curious what that would take to implement or if it's even feasible (generally).
Not with the existing stock input board. But it is possible with a custom input board, especially if the second input replaces the stock xlr output and the a/b switch replaces the ground lift switch. That could fit into the existing chassis holes.

Not with the existing stock input board. But it is possible with a custom input board, especially if the second input replaces the stock xlr output and the a/b switch replaces the ground lift switch. That could fit into the existing chassis holes.

Then please add me to a list of people who'd be interested in that, separately from the general waitlist to buy the v2 preamp please. 😁😁👍👍
Would definitely be willing to give up the XLR output and the ground lift switch.

It will take a little bit for the dust to settle. And there will be zero talk out of the F-corp camp.

But they are definitely replacing P-dip op amps with soic adapters and modern ICs
( the Lysander solution)

There is no way to tell what you are buying in the interim.

I follow what you mean by P-dip versus soic, but what is "Lysander solution" in reference to? I'm just curious if it's some historical electronics trivia worth knowing.

I follow what you mean by P-dip versus soic, but what is "Lysander solution" in reference to? I'm just curious if it's some historical electronics trivia worth knowing.
Lysander is a member here (and on another forum with a Fender rep lurking about).

He came up with a solution to the hiss problem by using soic adapters ..and he did a lot of research on replacement op-amps and noise ratings and shared that with the community. Fender Incorporated that solution in their new "fix" without disclosing that there even was a fix or crediting Lysanders contribution.

So I have re-named the new Fender "fix" to the Lysander Solution.

I also re-named Fender to F-corp. I won't use the F word in anything related to my V2 preamp.

Last edited:
I was thinking, what to do about the folks here who are really Fender employees?

Are you going to sell them a board @WKSmith?

I think we should start hurling allegations and out people Red Scare style

If they are wise, they will sit back and watch me fix their potential warranty claims or possible returns of the few FRs that are already out there that they haven't re-worked.

They don't need to worry about little ol me. They need to be worried about a headrush, turbosound , or God forbid Behringer (shudders) cheap clone of the FR.

If they rip me off... my next v2 pre might just plug into a headrush 108 :tearsofjoy:.

I am sure they will order one, and perhaps consider licensing the V2. It is light years ahead of the stock FR preamp in many ways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom