Fender Custom vs Suhr?

When I was referring to Fender I was only referring to Custom Shop, not any of their production models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Fender Custom Shop 1960 relic Strat and there is a warm homely something that just feels right...there are better strats made by others but a Fender Custom Shop carries a certain mojo.

When I was referring to Fender I was only referring to Custom Shop, not any of their production models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got that - I was just ranting because od the "best on the planet" No harm intended and you have to like what you have and play.........no matter the cost..so it's all good

My #1 is a parts caster that's started as an MIM HSS of which the only original parts remaining are the wood, finish and frets. Everything else on it has been upgraded to my choice of specs. I've put $700 into a $400 guitar!

I'm kinda gassing for a new guitar, but since I got my partscaster back in 2007 every instrument I compare it to, seems overhyped and overpriced and can't do what my guitar does as easily and worry-free.

The Mojo, I got it!

I had been playing my band mates acoustic Ibanez for a few numbers. Came the time where I wanted my own and I knew I could do better than a 400.00 Ibanez.

I went to the music shop and tried Martin’s, a Gibson J200, several high $$$ Taylors. Up to about 3 grand and honestly not a one of them sounded, or played, better than the 400.00 Ibanez I had been using.

I think even the nature of this thread proves that it is the guitar. Not the price, name, history or anything except ‘this particular wire and wood combo’.

I definitely like the Fender headstock shape better. The Suhr one is kinda bland and generic.

I have to agree with this. I especially like these big '79 Fender headstocks. In the perfect world i would use Suhr neck with Fender headstock and I'd be happy.
A little update on the OP: Just played this CS strat a bit more in the shop today. I found the tuning stability s really bad. It goes out of tune very quickly. I would expect locking tuners on 2400£ guitar.. But they are not.
All in all i decided i will be happier with my Suhr. Just need to find the right pickups. Stock pickups are not my taste. Im thinking about Kinman Impersonator, maybe they could end my quest for tone. :)

Try before you buy and be honest with yourself. After a thousand articles, youtube vids and forum posts I was sure I wanted a Suhr. After trying a bunch I preferred the Fender Deluxe. I did change the pickups though, the N3 noiseless pups are awful.

A little update on the OP: Just played this CS strat a bit more in the shop today. I found the tuning stability s really bad. It goes out of tune very quickly. I would expect locking tuners on 2400£ guitar.. But they are not. :)

Maybe the strings were old?

Try before you buy and be honest with yourself. After a thousand articles, youtube vids and forum posts I was sure I wanted a Suhr. After trying a bunch I preferred the Fender Deluxe. I did change the pickups though, the N3 noiseless pups are awful.

HAte those n3's, or any of them-I changed my deluxe also-fralin blues specials, love em.

Last edited:
pauliusmm A little update on the OP: Just played this CS strat a bit more in the shop today. I found the tuning stability s really bad. It goes out of tune very quickly. I would expect locking tuners on 2400£ guitar.. But they are not. [/QUOTE said:
Glad you decided on what you like, but your tuning statement is, well, an exception to the rule, not the norm.

But, I also will say, when you get a CS strat, you u are usually getting a remake of an older famous model\year. They always had regular vintage tuners-price means nothing in this case.

A USA Deluxe strat is 1/2, or 1/3 the cost of a CS Strat and IMHO much better made. I don't want something because it looks like an old one - I want playability, stability, etc. My 06 USA Deluxe is perfect, from the nut, bridge, the wood and of course the Deluxe locking tuners. I am pretty much a blues type player, I bend strings all day, never go out of tune. My 89 either.

Like I said, good you made your choice for yourself - that's what matters.

HAte those n3's, or any of them-I cnaged my deluxe also-fralin blues specials, love em.

I put some Monty's retro-winds in mine. The Deluxe is a truly amazing guitar, so easy to play. With some decent pickups put in, I cannot imagine a better Strat.

Interesting thoughts guys. I own a Suhr built in 06. It is the 2nd Suhr I have owned (the other was an 07) to me both had mojo, lots of it and great tone. It is it vintage 50's 60's strat mojo? No but def more than any modern (new) strat I have played. With that said the playability of the Suhr is like nothing I have ever experienced (other than my Andersons) I felt like G&L's played better than Fender's but the Suhr and Anderson playability of on a different level. A guitar may have Mojo but not play like butter. That becomes a tuff area to navigate through mojo vs playability. If mojo is what is winning in your mind then go for that Fender

I have owned each. The Suhr's are gone. Four Fender Custom Shoppe guitars are still here and not going anywhere. I think the Suhr's are consistently a better built guitar, but I prefer the sound of my Fenders. Suhr reminds me of PRS (and I have two PRSi) - fantastic build quality but tonally have their own thing going. For what it's worth, I have never played a G&L or Anderson that I even remotely liked. I guess I'm biased so take my comments with a grain of salt...

Back
Top Bottom