Feedback without an amp

Muzz

I am struggling with holding a note that turns into a harmonic feedback. Easy with my Marshall's. I find that the FB wedge does it for a second or so then the horn turns to an actual feedback. I put a wedge on a second send and had it behind me for this gig. It was better but not great. I will try what Leon Todd did by adding an LFO to simulate this.
Bad potato cam footage from a punter. I had to avoid holding notes or I get the actual feedback.

Funny enough, I was at a practice last night running my FM3 through a cheap Samson floor monitor at my side pointed towards the band. I must have been in the right location because I had a few moments of good feedback just jump right out. I almost never get the same thing with a monitor pointed directly at my guitar. I think the patch was an AC20 patch with some compression hitting the front end pretty hard and (going to sound crazy but...) the CharlieC cab #205 (wide midrange character to it).

I am struggling with holding a note that turns into a harmonic feedback. Easy with my Marshall's. I find that the FB wedge does it for a second or so then the horn turns to an actual feedback. I put a wedge on a second send and had it behind me for this gig. It was better but not great. I will try what Leon Todd did by adding an LFO to simulate this.
Bad potato cam footage from a punter. I had to avoid holding notes or I get the actual feedback.

That's because of rhe extended frequency range of the monitor (when compared to a traditional guitar cab).
Lowering Hi Cut Freq in the Cab Block may help. If you depend on musical feedback a lot, consider adding a very small and very cheap guitar amp and feed it a separate signal (without Cab),

Last edited:
I inserted a synth block and set it up as Leon Todd describes. It works but it is unuseable for my style. If i use my fretting finger for vibrato the pitch of the synth jumps radically creating a jumping effect of the note. This could be used elswhere but not for what I want. I inserted a compressor and got the sound better.

When this was discussed before, it was said that the lack of speaker cab-to-guitar interaction was the main problem in creating feedback in a modelling situation, i.e. the sounds that would conventionally be generated by a loud guitar cab were not present to resonate the guitar.

So, does nobody manufacture any kind of device which could replicate this silently (or very quietly), such as some kind of speaker-type resonator which could be attached to the guitar somehow to reproduce this vibration effect when needed (particularly for recording)? I know there are sustainer pickups, but that's not quite the same as an actual 'speaker' feed.

I tryed all patches and the real Freqout, have the ebow, have several guitars with midboost what kind of helps but for me this is the only let down in modeling, everything else is a big plus for me with the AXE, maybe the day comes in the future that we can have real feedback from FR speaker., Decent feedback for longgggggg tones, "i play a Camel Tribute" and play very legato for that and really miss that kind off feedback only a real cabinet with poweramp gives.

When I was using my good old AX8 I had a preset that kind of mimicked the feedbacking notes for a Joe Satriani tune "The Forgotten Part Two"
Far from perfect, but fun to play around with. I am not anywhere near my FM3 to check things out but I think from memory I used a drive block that helped with the feedback type of sound. I converted the block over from my AX8 to the FM3 and here it is.
Give it a try, as I believe it should transfer over to your AX-FX.

Attachments

• satchax8.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 12
I also had the situation to get too much feedback with a preset in past. The amp was a bit too loud and then it happened like in past. I think it was a Gary Moore preset. I need to find it again. Before I thought, this is not possible with modelers. But I like the idea to be able to activate it when I want with low volume.

I'd be thrilled if, at some point, Fractal would offer an artificial feedback effect similar to the Blue Cat AcouFiend or Softube Acoustic Feedback plugins (I'm assuming they're similar to the Freqout pedal, never tried one). Helix has one now as well.

I have no problem with controlled feedback using a high quality FRFR like CLR, EV PXM, etc.
Definitely have experienced a problem with using a house vocal monitor as a wedge.

When this was discussed before, it was said that the lack of speaker cab-to-guitar interaction was the main problem in creating feedback in a modelling situation, i.e. the sounds that would conventionally be generated by a loud guitar cab were not present to resonate the guitar.

So, does nobody manufacture any kind of device which could replicate this silently (or very quietly), such as some kind of speaker-type resonator which could be attached to the guitar somehow to reproduce this vibration effect when needed (particularly for recording)? I know there are sustainer pickups, but that's not quite the same as an actual 'speaker' feed.
There is at least one, from the makers of the Sustainiac pickup. Mechanical devices that clamps onto the guitar. Looks cumbersome but works.

Small combo amp with high gain is easier solution.

Back
Top Bottom