Feedback issues

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I am having problems with unwanted high pitched feedback (and not only on high gain patches). I use an RCF NX 12-SMA, set to very high stage volumes (necessary because of how loud my drummer plays). I am having a secondary problem in that I cannot get the sort of controlled, melodic feedback I need, even crouching over the monitor. Is there some secret to dialling in patches that feed back and sustain in a musical way? Does a monitor wedge cause these kinds of problems intrinsically (as opposed to a standard guitar cab)?

I keep the noise gate in the Layout menu on default settings, adjusting only the theshold.
For crunchy tones it's at 79 dB, for higher-gain stuff it's at 72 dB and for noisy stuff it's between 65 - 72 dB.

This doesn't interfere with getting controlled feedback at all.

If this wasn't enough, I'd add a separate Gate block (requires an Ultra). Javajunkie recently explained that it suffices to put it before the Amp block, with sidechain (SCSEL) set to the input you use.

Does that high-pitched feedback occur with all guitars?

Another way to get rid of noise: put a Vol block at the start of the chain. Tie the volume parameter to the Envelope controller. As long as you don't hit the strings, the (input) signal is off.

Thanks Yek. I always use the standard noise gate rather than a block but it obviously isn't controlling the unwanted feedback so I'll try the block method. Yes, it's both my guitars. Only sending less signal to the monitor or turning the monitor down seems to help (or reducing the gain in the amp block, but that messes my tone up).

Any thoughts about why it's so hit & miss to get controlled feedback (compared to a guitar cab)?

Just guessing ... it's a fullrange monitor, it can handle up to 20kHz. Maybe there's so much hi-freq. content in your tone that it starts feedbacking in that area.
With a guitar cab that probably wouldn't happen because cabs filter everything above, say, 5 kHz. It's much easier to get controlled feedback with less hi-freq. content.

IIRC I've looked at a couple of your patches in the past. It struck me at the time that they were very bright (IMO). Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but didn't you write at one time there's something with your hearing, or am I mistaken?

Seriously, I get nice feedback as easy with my FR-monitor as through a real guitar amp/cab.

It could also be that a pickup on your guitar has gone microphonic. That's why I asked about other guitars.

You could be right there Yek about too many highs in the tone. I've recently redrawn my most used patches because I found them too dull. I was using PEQ blocks on every patch blocking everything above around 6K, but lately I removed the PEQ block and instead I'm using the Global EQ with some high and low end roll-off. Maybe I need to go a bit further.

Nothing wrong with my hearing per se, only my capacity to hear myself over my bandmates without destroying my hearing into the bargain. I've tried using ear-defenders but they make things worse as I then need to crank my monitor even louder. :/

Ah, okay that's good to hear (no pun intended).

Yeah, the Global EQ can be used that way. And it's even handier at times, because you can adjust things easier, according to the tone of the room.

This is my way with FR, don't know if it would work for you:
I take good care of the highs, waching out for the Fletcher-Munson thing and all. I'm using Ownhammer IRs. Basically I don't use the Bright switch if it's not enabled by default in the amp sim (couple of exceptions: Euro Blue and Euro Red). I often just dont like the frequency added by the Bright switch (when it's not On by default).
Instead I keep Treble almost always at 5, and use Presence to dial in brightness if things are too dark (at gig levels!!).
If the Bright is on by default, I almost never turn up Presence. I even turn down Presence below 12 o'clock (< 5) with some amps that have Bright enabled, such as Topboost, and a couple of Rectos.

This - maybe strange - personal rule works for me when setting up presets for playing live.

For recording things are different.=, and the patches need to be brighter.

You could be right there Yek about too many highs in the tone. I've recently redrawn my most used patches because I found them too dull. I was using PEQ blocks on every patch blocking everything above around 6K, but lately I removed the PEQ block and instead I'm using the Global EQ with some high and low end roll-off. Maybe I need to go a bit further.

Nothing wrong with my hearing per se, only my capacity to hear myself over my bandmates without destroying my hearing into the bargain. I've tried using ear-defenders but they make things worse as I then need to crank my monitor even louder. :/

My aim is to use the Global EQ to manage my presets for live use so that they still sound good at low levels at home for practice/recording. Previously, my presets were almost unusable at home because so much top end had been taken out (even with PEQ blocks turned off).

My aim is to use the Global EQ to manage my presets for live use so that they still sound good at low levels at home for practice/recording. Previously, my presets were almost unusable at home because so much top end had been taken out (even with PEQ blocks turned off).

Good idea. Tried that also at one time, but I ran into the limited available bands in the high area (4k and 8k). But I'm quite sure it can work.

Back
Top Bottom