FCB1010 UnO - Instructions for Setting up Scenes & Expression Pedals

Edit,

amazing, I actually got Ripwerx to recognize my FCB1010 ( long story, I had to try an old PC with Vista on it, maybe it had an old version of Java on it, but whatever...).
So now I might try Arrowhead's approach in addition to Ross's manual approach and see which works first, since I have spent a week on this not playing the guitar at all and it's killing me :lol

Ross and Peter,

I just want to thank you both for your time and efforts in this thread.
You have helped me understand midi ( at least with the FCB) more than I could have dreamed of.
I have been feverishly working away with Ripwerx tonight, now that I got it working and I think I have come up with a solution that will work for me .
I'd be interested in what you guys think of it, will post more details tomorrow .
This may help others reading this who felt as clueless about midi controllers as I did at the beginning of this saga.
Ross,
I think that part of my initial problems may have been having things like "Midi Merge" and " Switches SW1 and SW2 on to Latch" and " Running Status Mode" turned on.
All those 3 parameters should be off.
Post more later,
Cheers

OK so what I have done is to set up the FCB1010 ( via Ripwerx) such that
- Each of the 19 Banks only sends out one PC message, by pressing Pedal 1. i.e in Bank 5 , press pedal 1 and you are in Axe Fx Preset 5 and so on
- then set up the CC's such that pedals 2 to 8 give you scenes 2 to 8 in the same preset you are in
The beauty of that is that no matter what preset you are in pressing pedal 7 gives you scene 7 etc so easy to remember
- I made Pedal 9 turn Wah on and off in all presets but you could change this depending on what effect you use most
-Pedal 10 is for tuner in all presets
Exp A is on CC 16 for Ext control 1
Exp B is on CC 17 for Ext Control 2 as I don't use a volume pedal

I think this setup will give me all the functionality I need for my uses , but this may change down the track !!

Let me know what you think of this idea , as I have not heard of anyone doing this before.
Maybe because it's not a good idea?? :lol

OK so what I have done is to set up the FCB1010 ( via Ripwerx) such that
- Each of the 19 Banks only sends out one PC message, by pressing Pedal 1. i.e in Bank 5 , press pedal 1 and you are in Axe Fx Preset 5 and so on
- then set up the CC's such that pedals 2 to 8 give you scenes 2 to 8 in the same preset you are in
The beauty of that is that no matter what preset you are in pressing pedal 7 gives you scene 7 etc so easy to remember
- I made Pedal 9 turn Wah on and off in all presets but you could change this depending on what effect you use most
-Pedal 10 is for tuner in all presets
Exp A is on CC 16 for Ext control 1
Exp B is on CC 17 for Ext Control 2 as I don't use a volume pedal

I think this setup will give me all the functionality I need for my uses , but this may change down the track !!

Let me know what you think of this idea , as I have not heard of anyone doing this before.
Maybe because it's not a good idea?? :lol

That is an interesting idea, definitely a different approach. As far as whether or not it is a good idea, like almost everything in music, if it works for you - run with it. A lot of it depends on how many patches you need to get the sounds you want - but if you have found that scenes have given you the flexibility to do what you want with fewer patches, then by all means do just that.

As far as using button 9 to turn the wah on and off, I've found with using auto engage set for the wah in the axe that I don't need a separate button for it, but I can see why some people would want it that way.

Regardless, you've been able to make the FCB work with your Axe in a way that makes you happy, just as I have. And by some of your questions you've made me learn some more along the way (e.g. the tuner piece). My goal in posting the information was to be helpful to anyone trying to use the FCB with the Axe for scene changes and with setting up the expression pedals, and I'm glad if that information has gotten you to a place where you can stop fighting with the board and use it to make some music.

That is an interesting idea, definitely a different approach. As far as whether or not it is a good idea, like almost everything in music, if it works for you - run with it. A lot of it depends on how many patches you need to get the sounds you want - but if you have found that scenes have given you the flexibility to do what you want with fewer patches, then by all means do just that.

As far as using button 9 to turn the wah on and off, I've found with using auto engage set for the wah in the axe that I don't need a separate button for it, but I can see why some people would want it that way.

Regardless, you've been able to make the FCB work with your Axe in a way that makes you happy, just as I have. And by some of your questions you've made me learn some more along the way (e.g. the tuner piece). My goal in posting the information was to be helpful to anyone trying to use the FCB with the Axe for scene changes and with setting up the expression pedals, and I'm glad if that information has gotten you to a place where you can stop fighting with the board and use it to make some music.

Hi Ross,
Thanks , your input was invaluable for me to get to this point.
I never thought about using auto engage for the Wah so thanks for that idea, will try it.
Regarding my setup, with 19 presets and 8 scenes for each preset at my disposal, I really can't imagine needing more than that for any one gig.
I will probably only use a fraction of what is available to me .
I wonder if others change more than 19 presets in any one gig, I would be interested to know in what circumstances you would need that.
Anyhow, maybe when Pink Floyd ask me to be their next guitarist I will need more functionality... :lol

Hi Ross,
Thanks , your input was invaluable for me to get to this point.
I never thought about using auto engage for the Wah so thanks for that idea, will try it.
Regarding my setup, with 19 presets and 8 scenes for each preset at my disposal, I really can't imagine needing more than that for any one gig.
I will probably only use a fraction of what is available to me .
I wonder if others change more than 19 presets in any one gig, I would be interested to know in what circumstances you would need that.
Anyhow, maybe when Pink Floyd ask me to be their next guitarist I will need more functionality... :lol

Well, when Pink Floyd hires you, you can give me a call to be your tech and you won't have to worry about it any more. :)

Can someone help me a bit?

I'm having trouble mapping looper controls into bank 0. It seems to work fine otherwise, but pedal 1 for some reason keeps changing to preset 008 (or 009 if you have preset offset as 1) instead of toggling the looper Play function. I use the default Axe-Fx II MIDI mappings. My FCB1010 (UnO chip) setup looks like this:

FCB1010-settings.png

Banks 2-9 are just duplicates of bank 1 with appropriate program change numbers.

Basically the system works like this:

Bank 0: looper controls buttons 1-5 (play, record, dub, undo, half speed), scenes 6-8, metronome 9 and tuner 10.
Banks 1-9: presets under buttons 1-5, scenes 6-9, tuner 10.

I've verified that the settings shown above have been saved to the board just as they are in the editor. Dumping was done with MIDI OX because Ripworkx' patch dump (from PC to FCB) just seemed to brick the FCB. Does the FCB1010 have some bug/limitation that forces pedal 1 to send a program change?

Can someone help me a bit?

I'm having trouble mapping looper controls into bank 0. It seems to work fine otherwise, but pedal 1 for some reason keeps changing to preset 008 (or 009 if you have preset offset as 1) instead of toggling the looper Play function. I use the default Axe-Fx II MIDI mappings. My FCB1010 (UnO chip) setup looks like this:

Banks 2-9 are just duplicates of bank 1 with appropriate program change numbers.

Basically the system works like this:

Bank 0: looper controls buttons 1-5 (play, record, dub, undo, half speed), scenes 6-8, metronome 9 and tuner 10.
Banks 1-9: presets under buttons 1-5, scenes 6-9, tuner 10.

I've verified that the settings shown above have been saved to the board just as they are in the editor. Dumping was done with MIDI OX because Ripworkx' patch dump (from PC to FCB) just seemed to brick the FCB. Does the FCB1010 have some bug/limitation that forces pedal 1 to send a program change?

Ps send full .syx file or image showing ALL columns, sth must be wrong elsewhere
Will try to look at it tomorrow or monday, if not resolved until then by another reader.
Cheers

My solution for using 8 scenes with FCB1010 UNO

For nick who asked , I have attached a sysex file ( Ripwerx) of my solution to using all 8 scenes with the FCB1010 and UNO chip.

Attachments

• Latest FCBsysex.syx
    2.3 KB · Views: 73
Thanks skintone1, If I only expect or want use max of 6 scenes I expect I could just keep the bottom row for my presets and the stomp row for scenes. To me that would be the simplest setup, scene1 being the preset switch such that I would have preset1, pedal 1 Scene 1, preset2, pedal 2 scene1 etc. the top row scene 2-6 for each individual preset. Does that sound correct.
Nick

just looked at your sysex file. I thought I did that, as well 34, 0, 0 and 34, 1, 1 and etc. and I had trouble making it work. Perhaps I messed up some where. I'mma try this tonight :) Thanks, again!

just looked at your sysex file. I thought I did that, as well 34, 0, 0 and 34, 1, 1 and etc. and I had trouble making it work. Perhaps I messed up some where. I'mma try this tonight :) Thanks, again!

Hi , Glad you found it helpful.
Like you , I also had a bit of trouble at the start ( a lot !) but now it all works smooth.
What I did, was just start again from the start, reading the instructions for UNO chip setup one by one.
Sometimes a small thing can throw it all out.
Also , don't forget to go to your I/O midi tab in the Axe front panel.
Then:
midi thru = off
prog change=on
mapping = none
DISPLAY OFFSET = 1 ( this is important, so your FCB numbers match your Axe presets)
Ignore Redundant PC = off

Hopefully this helps

Hi , Glad you found it helpful.
Like you , I also had a bit of trouble at the start ( a lot !) but now it all works smooth.
What I did, was just start again from the start, reading the instructions for UNO chip setup one by one.
Sometimes a small thing can throw it all out.
Also , don't forget to go to your I/O midi tab in the Axe front panel.
Then:
midi thru = off
prog change=on
mapping = none
DISPLAY OFFSET = 1 ( this is important, so your FCB numbers match your Axe presets)
Ignore Redundant PC = off

Hopefully this helps

Should'nt "Ignore Redundant PC be = On?
Nickxmix

Not sure about that one.
I know I tried both when I was setting it up and this works OK for now so I'm not changing !
Do you have a reason for suggesting that ?

Back
Top Bottom