FCB1010 triggering iPad2 sampler/synth/sequencer app?

jimfist

Fractal Fanatic
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here with this. I have a Behringer FCB1010 midi pedal which I use to control my AxeFx as well as a hardware sampler (Boss Dr. Sample SP-303) via the MIDI Thru port of the AxeFx, with the audio of the sampler returning into the AxeFx via input 2 (fx loop return).

I'd like to get a MIDI interface for the iPad2 and an app that does sampling, and perhaps also sequencing and synth sounds to replace the clunky Dr. Rhythm. The one thing that concerns me is this:

The FCB1010 sends MIDI note, where the first button press sends a note ON message, and the second press transmits a Note Off (or, IIRC a Note On value 0 = Note Off). All good.

The Dr. Rhythm has a few playback modes for the samples being triggered. For me, the most important of these playback modes is for "Loop Playback", which uses a "hold" feature. On a MIDI keyboard, this would be the equivalent of hitting a note (which triggers the tone/sample loop), releasing the note (the tone/loop CONTINUES to play), and then a second press of the note would STOP the playback of the tone/loop. This would also be very much like engaging a keyboard's SUSTAIN pedal to get the same playback functionality.

View attachment 9627

So, the question is this: are you aware of any Ipad sampler/synth apps that allow you to program the sample playback mode as described: FCB1010 note on triggers loop, plays back indefinitely, second depress of FCB1010 switch triggers note off?

As a workaround to this, I suppose I could trigger a looped note sequence, but I'm not sure the transition between loop end/start would be as smooth, and whether I could start/stop the sequence with just one button, as I can now with the FCB1010 and the Dr. Rhythm.

As another workaround, I could probably use a full-featured synth app as the sound source (rather than a sampler) as most of these sounds are relatively simple to recreate on a synth. Again, though, the question remains as to whether the synth app has a programmable playback mode that allows for the triggering I've described.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! (moderators, if you feel this is in the wrong topic area, please feel free to move it where you think it is most appropriate.)

Back
Top Bottom