FCB1010 or MIDI Mate?

jr213

I am trying to decide which controller to get as a "band-aid" until the MFC is here. Can anyone offer insight?
I like that i can pick up an UnO FCB1010 locally on Craigslist for $100, but Behringer makes me nervous. The Midi Mate would cost more up front, since I'd have to get a couple expression pedals, but I would need those with MFC anyway. What do you think?

Persnally I'd got for the Midimate. Its built better and I've been using mine for years with no problems. It will only take one controler, so if you need 2 then you'll need the Behringer. Also IF the FAS controler is out when expected (i.e. by January at the latest) then the cheapest option may suit you fine until then.

My FCB1010 has a couple of stomp switches that are...'problematic'.
One doesn't work at all and the other requires a very decent push to get it to engage.
Yes i have pulled the pedal apart and checked for obvious problems - nothing i could fix.
I come from a Line 6 FBX(footpedal) background so i find the FCB very limited.
I'm not using half of the potential of the AxeFX in a live setting.
On the plus side - it was cheap.

Thanks! I think I'm going to get this guy's FCB1010, since it already has the UnO EPROM installed and, for the money, it seems hard to beat. And I do need 2 expression pedals (thanks for pointing out that MIDI Mate limitation). It's going to be hard switching from my Line6 FBV, but I'm itching to ditch my Vetta. Hopefully it will work for me until "January at the latest." :D

joegold said:
I don't think the Behringer can do phantom power via the MIDI cable.
not without a mod, anyway... (of which, a couple variations are documented on the FCB yahoo groups).

okay, so i am exactly 1 IA switch short here.
Will the UnO let me make button 5 another IA witch instead of PC?

OR!?!?!
What are the "switch" inputs for? Can I plug in a keyboard sustain pedal to add another IA switch?

jr213 said:
okay, so i am exactly 1 IA switch short here.
Will the UnO let me make button 5 another IA witch instead of PC?

OR!?!?!
What are the "switch" inputs for? Can I plug in a keyboard sustain pedal to add another IA switch?

With careful programming in my UnO FCB1010 I have 5 dedicated stompbox switches and each patch change pedal (1-5) doubles up as another one toggling switch .. so I press 1-5 once - it will switch to a patch and after that if I press it again it does as a toggling on/off stompbox. So yes, you can have 6. Search my posts and you should be able to find my explanation how to do it...

Mik.

I've actually got it set up like voes recommends, using that function for tap tempo. I still need one more button.
What about the "Switch 1" and "Switch 2" inputs on the back?

jr213 said:
What about the "Switch 1" and "Switch 2" inputs on the back?
Switch 1 and 2 are outputs actually. You can, I believe, run them directly to the Axe-Fx into the Pedal 1 and 2 inputs. I haven't tried it though, so if that works, let us know! :D
(See the Pedal config on the Axe-Fx under the I/O menu, last page... whether they should be set momentary or latching probably depends on how you set them up on the FCB.)

You can also unprogram the PC on a patch change footswitch and add a CC instead. It won't always light properly and you'll have to program it for every patch on the FCB if you want it to always be the same, but it's a possible workaround.

Don't forget you can use the Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 connections on the back of the Axe-FX as extra controllers (pedals or switches).

Back
Top Bottom