FCB1010 limits & Softstep possibilities

Philip34

Experienced
The more Cliff updates the AF2 (scenes,etc) & the more time I spend with it, the more I realize the limitations with the FCB1010, even with the Eureka chip.

I've been interested in the Softstep MIDI ctlr for a while now, but I'd like to know how well it works with AF2, the learning curve, & how you have set yours up to ctrl the AF2.

Phil

Man, I got scared of the SS the more I read about it. From what I gather you need to run in hosted mode with a computer to get the most out of it, and that's a deal breaker for me. In stand alone mode a lot of the really cool features get crippled. I don't have one, so I too would like to hear from anyone who does, but I decided against it. Just gotta save for a serious controller IMHO.

Brad

I'm using the Softstep since 6 months. In the beginning I spent 2 months to program it. I was ready to throw it by the window. The user manual is terrible, the feedback from the forum & from the company is not great (not like Fractal ; = ) Now I understand it for what my needs & it's great because it's so light, open & very powerful. I use it standalone mode & I don't feel any problem. I'm using 6 banks (3 for one gtr), pad 1>4 & 5>8 are sending program changes on 1rst switch, & CC on 2nd switch. pad 5 is for tap tempo, pad 9 is for CC/boost. Pedal for modifier FX parameters (delay mix & fdbk by example, depending on Axe preset) I don't use the pressure neither the XY possibilties, the pads are too small for that. Now I'm very happy.

Nunu said:
I'm using the Softstep as a standalone mode & I don't feel any problem.

Did you have to get the Midi converter ($45) or can you plug straight into the USB port of the AxeFx?

I don't use the pressure neither the XY possibilties, the pads are too small

So you can't use X/Y function? That doesn't make sense

This thing really appeals to me bc: 1) water resistant, 2) relatively cheap, 3) innovative function- no need for extra volume/exp pedal

Are there any other Axe users' opinions (preferably experience-based, but any is nice) on the Softstep's need for the midi device to work with AF2 or on the Softstep's ability to perform all AF2 functions?

Did you have to get the Midi converter ($45) or can you plug straight into the USB port of the AxeFx?

So you can't use X/Y function? That doesn't make sense

This thing really appeals to me bc: 1) water resistant, 2) relatively cheap, 3) innovative function- no need for extra volume/exp pedal

Are there any other Axe users' opinions (preferably experience-based, but any is nice) on the Softstep's need for the midi device to work with AF2 or on the Softstep's ability to perform all AF2 functions?

You'll have to get the MIDI expander to run without a computer. The AxeFx is a USB device just like the softstep. Neither is a USB host (which is required to run a USB device). Using a computer as the USB host, the softstep and AxeFx can both be connected and MIDI routed as necessary with something like MIDI Yoke. Without a computer, the midi expander is your only option. I'm not completely down on the softstep. I like it for the same reasons you do, but its not really THAT inexpensive. It's pretty different to program too. I recommend you download the editor and take a look. Also, read the FAQ on their website for the differences in hosted and standalone modes. Check out how frustrated their user base is via their forum. This is all good info IMHO. If you don't need it to get too complex, I think it will be fine. Hope this helps!

Brad

Philip34, to be honest, IMO the addition of scenes plays right into the "limitations" of the FCB1010 and makes it much, much more effective and useable, even with stock FCB firmware. Utilizing scenes along with modifier control of individual or groups of effect block parameters, you can really do a lot of complex stuff, again, JMO. What is it that you're looking to do that makes you feel the FCB1010 isn't a good fit? Bang for the buck, you won't find much of anything it its league, assuming you can live with the form factor. Again, we're talking about the FCB1010 at a street price new of around $150 US ($100 all the time used in good shape) as compared to most other viable options costing many multiples of that.

Also, FWIW, sometimes all of the options for programming and controlling effects on the AxeFx may lead you to go down unnecessary rabbit holes when much simpler practical solutions can suffice. If you're positive that your exhausting the possibilities of the FCB1010 for the way you use it, that's one thing. But I'd like to understand some of the limitations you're having first, just out of curiousity. Thanks ~ Jim

Just my quick 2 cents...ill echo what nunun has said about the softstep. It's got some good features (light, small footprint, lots of flexibility), some unpractical features (pads are too small to control axis well) and terrible support. I used to have one for a couple of months but then eventually sold it. I did take the time to learn how to program it but in the end I personally always felt like it was more suitable for things like Abelton control rather than a floor controller for the axe.

To answer some of your questions, I was asking about this before I discovered Cliff's new "scene" feature, which (as has been said) brings lots of new capabilities to the FCB1010. Speaking of which:
- using the Eureka chip, how could I utilize the scenes feature?
- [still using Eureka] what do any of you FCB1010 users do with Specials mode (concerning AF2)?

I'll be movin to Brazil next summer, so that's why I like both the mobility and water resistant nature of the Softstep MIDI.

Are there other threads on using Softstep with the AF2?

FWIW, y'all's help is very much appreciated

^^^
Exactly my question too.
I asked this on the other part of the forum with no answer.
So Jim, how do you use the FCB1010 with Eureka chip to change scenes?

Back
Top Bottom