FCB1010 110v to 220v conversion

Max.Ax

I acquired a FCB1010 setup for US @110v. New Zealand mains is 240v, although 220v works too. Looking at the mains transformer inside the FCB I see a blue and a black wire looping the mains/on_off switch/transformer and a redundant pink one. 2 yellow dc wires come out the other end of the transformer. I've been told that the redundant pink wire might be for 220v mains and to compare resistance between blue/black, and pink/blue or black. If resistance across the pink wire and one of the others is double the resistance across blue/black, I've been told that I can hook the pink one up and my FCB is converted to 220v. I measured, and the resistance across pink/black (or blue) indeed seems to be double.

Can anyone confirm that all this is true? I don't have a camera, but has anyone done this? And if so, do I disconnect the black or the blue wire?

I have just completed the phantom power conversion, but of course I need to hook up the FCB directly to my pc, not my axe fx to set the thing up, requiring an alternate power source. Under phantom power, the lighting on the FCB display does not illuminate, but 2 red leds under the 2 rocker pedals, presumable optical sensors, are glowing. Is this normal or do I have a problem with my mod?

Last edited:
I think you can just flip the fuse holder to switch voltages. At least, on mine you can. It written on there too, just very very tiny

Thanks hole, the manual says the general export version has this ability, but mine does not unfortunately.

Oh Ok. Too bad.

I think I can still help you

Does the back of the powersocket inside the FCB look like this:
STekker014.jpg

and the transformer like this: (top left)
P1030978.jpg

I forgot the name of the type of transformer (CENTER TAP perhaps) but if it has the three wire it can indeed take either 110, or 220. The black wire and one of the coloured ones should now be attached. The other coloured wire does nothing.

Just detach the coloured wire and attach the other coloured wire to where you detached the first coloured wire.

I forgot which (outer or inner) works with 220, but if it's setup for 110 now, it's "the other one" :D

Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not knowledgable in these matters, but I succesfully did something similar myself. BUT I COULD BE WRONG!

By the way. There's also a mod in which you could add a 9v socket, and run it of a pedalpower/wall wart...(and still have the possibility to phantom power over midi)

edit: I found an earlier post of mine about this: 220v: RED and BLACK on the transformer!

Last edited:
Success. You are correct Hole, here is a pic of my FCB before converting. I simply cut the blue wire and joined the red(pink) wire on to it. Fuse needs to be changed to T 50mA L 250V. Cheers for the help there Hole.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Cool!

The FCB is a great great piece of kit. If you haven't done so, you might consider upgrading with an UNO eprom (link)

It will add some cool features, and it will be the best € 16,00 you'll spend on gear.

Hi, I've just run into this same issue myself, although I'm currently not able to get hold of 50mA fuses. Would it be a problem if I did this modification without replacing the included 100mA fuse? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom