FCB 1010 to buy or not to buy

The Soundshell

Inspired
Need people to tell me the pros and cons. They seem cheap, but with music gear you usually get what you pay for.
On the other hand, Ty Tabor is using them.

Figured Id throw this into the universe and see what I get.

Please help.

Don't know what you need ...

It's hard to tell if it fits your needs if we don't know them ...

But some thoughts (imho!):
- Built like a tank.
- Expression pedals are plastic and very lightweight (don't like them very much) but they work great.
- Programming the FCB is a pain in the a**, but there are some nice possibilities.
- Improvement is possible with the UnO chip.
- Visit voes hp for a great overview of features and comparisons.
- It's a bit too big for the very small stages. :eek:ops
- Great value for the money.
- I'd go with the MFC if I had the money (but I don't, maybe will some day). :mrgreen

Try it. If you don't like it, give it back or sell it.

Cheers

I had one when I bought my Axe. michl's post is right, go to Voe's home page, everything you need is there. I don't use the exp pedals for volume, not enough "throw" for me. I use a Morley plugged into the Axe exp jack for volume swells.
You really will want to purchase the Uno chip (10.00). You open up the bottom of the unit and swap out the firmware chip, it's easy to do because it just plugs in. You can down load Ripwerx to program the unit, it works great and is a free down load.
The Uno will give you the ability to have 5 switches that can activate/de-activate your favorite "stompboxes" eg.dist,chorus,echo etc... The remaining 5 switches will switch presets. Like micl sez, it does take up some real estate.
An IA (instant access) pedal board is a must with the Axe if you use it live with the band. The MFC-101 is the ticket, there are others seen here in the forums that work well also, but they are not as cheap as the Behringer.
Note: When replacing the screws in the FCB1010, don't torque them too tight,they will strip out real easy, and cause the pedal board to buzz and rattle from the internal power transformer. Put a small bead of nail polish around the screw heads once you have finished to keep them from backing out. Also, check the alignment of the optical elements on the exp pedals to make sure they are straight across from each other. This is a common prob. with the board.

I have no need or desire to upgrade my FCB1010. With the Uno firmware and Ripwerx it's stupid easy to program and with a MIDISport 2x2 I can use both the FCB1010, AxeEdit with the AxeFX along with Ripwerx all at the same time with no problems.

Mine's about 7 years old (bought it used 6 years ago) and I've never had a seconds problem with it. It's been used almost daily with tons of other applications and devices...which is the other great thing about it, it works with anything.

Thanks for all the heads up.

More information on what I'm using , and what I'm using it for, what I hope to have in the future.

I have a Line6 Pod X3 Pro, and the FBV custom foot board controller with 2 expression pedals.
It's HUGE, but I really love it, except for the constantly stubbed toes and catching my pant leg on it over and over again. Im looking something similar, and was really wanting to know what my options were. The Line6 board was automatically calibrated. I don't want to spend the huge amount of time I spent dialing in my patches, on the floorboard is possible. I want a plug and play, but then again don't we all.

I like the fact that I'm able to do the amp, chorus, etc...on/off with a stomp button. I'd like to continue to have that option.
I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to buy a wah or volume pedal, and I get more choices of which of those I want to use.

Currently I'm using a Morely Bad Horsie2 Contour Wah (Vai model), and Morely Volume Plus, both of which I love. Im NOT using these as expression pedals, but simply, Guitar -wah-volume-into Axe Ultra. It's far more of true by pass without any direct sound coloration, which is at my virtue.
I have heard I can plug these in and use them as Expression Pedals with the Ultra, is This True?

I am simply wondering if it would be better to get the MFC ( how much is this?) and us it together with my Morely pedals on a powered board. I heard the MFC is quite expensive, and if there were a cheaper and equal alternative what that was.
I am getting a bit lost in the forums, and the help is appreciated.

Well the banks are now allowing mid size loans so the MFC is within reach spread over 25 years. I've sold 3 kidneys - I had to grow an extra one just so I could sell it but I'm still an arm and a leg short. It's €699.00 but if I order it now I would get it in time for christmas - christmas 2012.

IMHO best footcontroller price/quality you can get if you install the UnO chip.

Back
Top Bottom