FC12 Stand In Switches With The FM9 - Possible Bug??

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

I hope you are all well, Finally got my FM9 over here in the UK this week and just setting everything up! So far so good all works great. Not sure if this is a possible bug when using stand in switches with the FC12. When I use my Axe III along with my FC12 I have 2 stand in switches setup one dual Mosky and one single Mosky. Works no problem on the Axe.

The single one is used for the tuner which works with no issue on the FM9 and is connected to switch 3/4 on the FC12. This one seems to work when switch 4 is selected on the FM9 in the stand in switch menu but is switch 3 in FM9 edit.

The dual one which is connected to switch 1/2 on the FC12, I have it setup to go up +1 and down -1 preset. Same setup as the Axe.

I can get +1 switch to work but the -1 switch doesn't seem to do anything. Have checked the switch behaviour in the FM9's menu but it all looks fine.

Also noticed something strange when going to the stand in tab in the FC setup menu in the FM9. If I set it to switch 3 which is the -1 function it does work but goes back to the very first preset not the one previous to it or doesn't work at all. That's not correct right? because the switch isn't connected to switch 3 on the FC12 only switch 1/2.

Has anyone else run into this yet? Can you guys check this out for me please? I'm pretty sure its not me or is it lol. The FM9 should be able to handle this with an FC12 connected shouldn't it?

I hope that all makes sense.

Pics are attached of FM9 edit and the FSW tab on the FM9.

Many thanks

Paul

IMG_0443.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-18 at 17.27.57.png

You need to show the settings for the switches they are standing in for.

Your screenshot is highlighting and undefined switch.

You need to show the settings for the switches they are standing in for.

Your screenshot is highlighting and undefined switch.
This is what's set on the FM9 below. If you check out my screenshot of FM9 edit you can see the stand in switch for the tuner is switch 3 but it will only work if set to switch 4 on the FM9 stand in switch menu that's why its set to undefined on switch 3 in the FM9 as it doesn't work!

Having a similar issue with one of the preset switches as well!

FC1 FSW1 - Layout 8 - Preset + 1

FC1 FSW2 - Layout 8 - Preset - 1

FC1 FSW4 - Layout 8 - Tuner - Should be switch 3

This is what's set on the FM9 below. If you check out my screenshot of FM9 edit you can see the stand in switch for the tuner is switch 3 but it will only work if set to switch 4 on the FM9 stand in switch menu that's why its set to undefined on switch 3 in the FM9 as it doesn't work!

FC1 FSW1 - Layout 8 - Preset + 1

FC1 FSW2 - Layout 8 - Preset - 1

FC1 FSW4 - Layout 8 - Tuner
The switches "stand in" for a switch on the unit. You're only telling me the "mapping". I need to see those settings.

Show the settings for the those 2 switches in the layout.

The FC external switch jack numbers have nothing to do with the switch assignments on the footswitch edit screen. FC external switch 1 can control switch 12 if I want it to.

The switches "stand in" for a switch on the unit. You're only telling me the "mapping". I need to see those settings.

Show the settings for the those 2 switches in the layout.
Sorry I misunderstood! Pics attached. I have them setup exactly the same way in the Axe and all works fine.

Screenshot 2022-09-18 at 20.19.35.pngScreenshot 2022-09-18 at 20.19.43.pngScreenshot 2022-09-18 at 20.19.51.png

The FC external switch jack numbers have nothing to do with the switch assignments on the footswitch edit screen. FC external switch 1 can control switch 12 if I want it to.
Yep I know that too! I just did that to to keep it simple!

I think the definitions look ok. Are you starting on a preset outside of your range 1-26?

If so, the switches will "jump" into the range...

I think the definitions look ok. Are you starting on a preset outside of your range 1-26?

If so, the switches will "jump" into the range...
Thanks for taking a look appreciate it! No I'm always within that range or presets. If I add any new ones I'll expand the lower and upper limits.

I just tried something Chris said in his post and moved the tuner function to switch 12 and changed to FSW3 on the FM9 stand in switch tab and then changed to switch 12 with layout 8 and that doesn't work! Only when I change it to switch 4 it works!

Very strange! Its the same for switch 2 set to -1 that doesn't work either.

It can't be a cable can it? It works on Axe no problem.

Last edited:
I don't use my FC-12 with my FM9... Only with my Axe Fx III. But I don't use any stand-in switches with that.
Gotcha, I'm just trying to mimic my setup I have with the Axe on the FM9 as I need that for some gigs. It's not me though is it? There's definitely something going on there that shouldn't be?

Have you checked your cable connections or tried swapping cables around? It not working on switch 3 makes me thing there's a bad connection to that switch. IIRC switches 1 and 3 = tip and switch 2 and 4 = ring

Have you checked your cable connections or tried swapping cables around? It not working on switch 3 makes me thing there's a bad connection to that switch. IIRC switches 1 and 3 = tip and switch 2 and 4 = ring
I did check my cables before and all seem fine! They are always plugged in all the time on my FC12 board so they don't get moved at all. Just tried my FC12 board again on my Axe and all works fine.

I'm assuming the dual switch is ok to use with the FM9 even though its connected the FC12? Having said that the single switch I have would work on FSW3 in FM9 but it doesn't so it can't be that.

On the preset -1 switch you have lower limit set to 026 and upper limit set to 001?
I noticed that as well and forgot to mention it. Thinking about it more (didn't really put too much into it earlier), I'm leaning towards that answer.

Lower limit being higher than upper limit is logically wrong.

Not sure why I did that, Probably half asleep last night lol. I've change that now but it still doesn't solve the problem unfortunately. Would anyone with an FC12, FM9 and some stand in switches be able to check this please?

On the FM9's stand in switch tab if you select FC1 SW1 nothing works. On both the single switch and the dual switch. Same with FC1 SW3.

FC1 SW2 and FC1 SW4 seems to work without a problem!

Last edited:
I've got both, and I also have currently unused single and dual button external switches... I'll see if I have time today to try and test this.

Back
Top Bottom