FC question regarding fx3

Bertotti

Inspired
I have little experience with the fx3. I have had it a bit over a week and only three days a couple hours each day with it. That said I have come to think either on the floor or on the desk top in front of the fx3 some buttons would be nice. I would like to be able to switch through preset some but many scenes and channels. Not sure what else I would like to control but changing these while playing or quickly with out clicking around would be nice. I am assuming almost any parameter can be programmed to a button and suspect multiple functions could be programmed into a single button.

Any thoughts on how functional it is on a desk would be appreciated. Also couple a button be programmed as a mute ala John 5 like on one of his teles or as a hold sustain or other parameter I may want to hold?

Thanks all I have not skimmed the fx manual at all focusing mostly on the fx3 manual currently.

Can you program a button to go straight to a selected preset? Say, just using random numbers, I could set four buttons to pull up four different preset? Say one button pulls op 32 second pulls up 132, third 420, fourth 1020? From one to the next without sorting through a preset list then have a button that will change scenes on which ever preset you on the same with channels?

The easiest/cheapest/fastest path is to use Edit. It has plenty of shortcut keys to let you switch scenes and the channels of the selected block. Moving between presets relies on incrementing or decrementing, so jumping from one to another isn't possible.

You can find MIDI switches and controllers in various configurations, but you have to program the device to tell the modeler what to do, and, unless you're familiar with MIDI and how it works, it'll be a steep learning curve because you'll need to learn it AND how the modeler works with MIDI. Some MIDI devices have better integration with the Fractals than others, but the more integrated it is the more expensive it is; You're paying for that company's development time.

Fractal's FC units are extremely powerful, but they're designed for floor use though they'll work on a desk. The FC-6 is a reasonable desktop-sized unit and adds several additional ports for connecting more switches or foot controllers. The FC units are very flexible and programming them is pretty easy, though, again, there's a learning curve.

As far as reading the manuals, I highly recommend going through the main manual several times while sitting at the unit; There's a lot to know but you don't have to learn it all at once. The FC switch functions guide is applicable to the FC and FM units but not to MIDI devices.

I came into Fractal's world wanting to use a MIDI controller, but back then there was very little integration and it was a lot of trial and error. I finally got tired of not being able to replicate what I knew the FC could do with the units, and switched to the FC-6 and FC-12. They're everything I wanted, they just work.

To clarify: I said "so jumping from one to another isn't possible." above. We can jump around, but not with hot-keys. CMD or CNTRL + Page Up or Page Dn increment/decrement. Clicking the preset # box, or using the previous modifiers + G lets us enter specific preset slots.

Last edited:
Can you program a button to go straight to a selected preset? Say, just using random numbers, I could set four buttons to pull up four different preset? Say one button pulls op 32 second pulls up 132, third 420, fourth 1020? From one to the next without sorting through a preset list then have a button that will change scenes on which ever preset you on the same with channels?
You can jump to individual presets using a foot switch, either with the FC (or MIDI IIRC), but that's a very limited way to use a controller. Typically we rely on preset banks, perhaps six presets/bank for example, and then tell the FC to jump to the preset at a particular offset in that bank, like preset 1 or preset 6, kind of like a sliding window concept in programming if you're familiar with that. We shift the banks (window) and the switches populate with the presets at the offsets in that bank.

For instance, this is a shot of the FC Editor displaying the "Presets" layout on my FM3+FC-6. You can see how we tell the modeler to jump based on the switch that was pushed.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 11.25.53 AM.png

That might make your head swim but when you're in the editor and poking around in a factory layout it quickly makes sense.

Ah so I can’t program a button on a fc tonight to a preset. So in that case save them incrementally in a user location and step up and down.

I am not a midi guru but have used it a little. I wanted something to push my creativity and learning and timing so in a moment of weakness I bought the new Sheeran looper x and nothing absolutely nothing has helped my timing more. It has also been a big boost to my creative thinking. Less is more in most cases eh! Anywho I liked it and wanted better effects. So I was looking to a Headruch Core then found friends using various other devices from profiler to QC to ToneX to line six to fender etc. someone said look at fractal and I did and here I am. Not over my head but certainly treading over the Mariana trench!. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll probably pull the trigger on the fc shortly I was also eyeing a Morning Star.

You can jump to individual presets using a foot switch, either with the FC (or MIDI IIRC), but that's a very limited way to use a controller. Typically we rely on preset banks, perhaps six presets/bank for example, and then tell the FC to jump to the preset at a particular offset in that bank, like preset 1 or preset 6, kind of like a sliding window concept in programming if you're familiar with that. We shift the banks (window) and the switches populate with the presets at the offsets in that bank.

For instance, this is a shot of the FC Editor displaying the "Presets" layout on my FM3+FC-6. You can see how we tell the modeler to jump based on the switch that was pushed.

View attachment 139681

That might make your head swim but when you're in the editor and poking around in a factory layout it quickly makes sense.
I replied before you posted this! I am pulling the trigger on a FC thanks! I suspect as I learn more about these units the functionality I want will change as well.

I’ll probably pull the trigger on the fc shortly I was also eyeing a Morning Star.
Morning Star make good units, and they've really improved over the last several years. There are other brands that offer even more features and integration, but none are as tightly coupled with the hardware as Fractal's FCs, which is to be expected.

When I switched to the FC I was tired of hitting my head on the brick wall and figured my time and effort was more expensive than buying the FC-6 would be.

I suspect as I learn more about these units the functionality I want will change as well.
Yes, as we learn about the capabilities and see how Fractal designed their factory layouts suddenly new doors open. We can create really powerful layout flows that are tailored exactly to our needs.

Read the manuals, make lots of backups, and don't be afraid to explore. You can't break the unit from the editor or the front panel, and if you get backed into a corner you can restore and put things back how they were. The forum members are happy to help you if you get stuck.

Is the gas link cable just a nice xlr male to female? No special wiring inside?

Oh aaaa wellll somehow I ordered a fc12 and somehow a dyna pack or two, wound up in the cart also! Not sure how that happened.

Hmm not sure my wife will buy that story.
The FASlink cable is just a standard XLR.

You are really jumping in with both feet....FX3, FC-12, Dyna-cab packs...did you forget to add in a couple of EV-1s?😃

The FASlink cable is just a standard XLR.

You are really jumping in with both feet....FX3, FC-12, Dyna-cab packs...did you forget to add in a couple of EV-1s?😃
Yea I’m all in. And I actually had a couple in the cart but deleted them. I have a pedal at home and will give it a shot first. This is all money I set aside for another tube amp I didn’t need. Then like I mentioned someone said check out fractal and well you have noticed the outcome. Honestly what clinched it was how Fractal treats their customer. I was only looking for a multi fx for another unit. This hosts so many more buttons and now I can try amps I’ll never have a chance to own.

Honestly what clinched it was how Fractal treats their customer.
I've worked with many companies over the years, and Fractal is the #1 in everything I think is important for customers.

I was only looking for a multi fx for another unit. This hosts so many more buttons and now I can try amps I’ll never have a chance to own.
The cool thing is, the units can act as a very comprehensive effects board with an analog amp, or they can also provide all the amp and cab emulation on top of that, and, it can switch back and forth depending on how you design your presets. So, your existing amps just became more useful too.

Yea I’m all in. And I actually had a couple in the cart but deleted them. I have a pedal at home and will give it a shot first. This is all money I set aside for another tube amp I didn’t need. Then like I mentioned someone said check out fractal and well you have noticed the outcome. Honestly what clinched it was how Fractal treats their customer. I was only looking for a multi fx for another unit. This hosts so many more buttons and now I can try amps I’ll never have a chance to own.

I followed a very similar path...

Was looking for an FM9, but during pandemic the long wait list convinced me to bite the bullet and get the FX3 instead. I ordered it with an EV-1. After a very short time owning my Fractal gear my beloved JCM800 (2203) I owned for almost 40 years went up for sale and I purchased an FC-6 to go with the FX3. I spent some time in this forum getting to know as much as I could about the product and the company before buying the FX3 and I have to say that the way Fractal treats their customers and the community in this forum is exceptional. When purchasing the FX3 I was hoping that it might be good enough to contemplate selling my amps, but I was shocked how easily and quickly that decision was made. Great product. Great company. Great community.

I've worked with many companies over the years, and Fractal is the #1 in everything I think is important for customers.

The cool thing is, the units can act as a very comprehensive effects board with an analog amp, or they can also provide all the amp and cab emulation on top of that, and, it can switch back and forth depending on how you design your presets. So, your existing amps just became more useful too.
And an interface to my daw. Although my playing isn’t even close to good enough to record yet.

Friday Friday Friday! Worked 16 hours today and will finish up my week tomorrow! Then Friday awaiting the delivery and learn how to download these download links!

Friday Friday Friday! Worked 16 hours today and will finish up my week tomorrow! Then Friday awaiting the delivery and learn how to download these download links!

Do you mean the downloads for your DynaCabs? You install Cab-Lab 4 and use the Cab Pack Manager in the 'Tools' menu to log into your FAS shop account and activate/download the Cab Packs.

Don't worry, it's fool-proof, and I know, 'cause I managed it. ;)

Do you mean the downloads for your DynaCabs? You install Cab-Lab 4 and use the Cab Pack Manager in the 'Tools' menu to log into your FAS shop account and activate/download the Cab Packs.

Don't worry, it's fool-proof, and I know, 'cause I managed it. ;)
Done downloaded, absolutely dead simple! The only ones on cablab are the ones I just bought and downloaded. I need to read the cablab papers.

Back
Top Bottom