FC CONTROLLERS buttons global default to scenes upon power on of FM-3

ElyMayor

When I turn the FM3 on, I would like the three FC CONTROLLERS buttons to default boot to scenes[2]; rather than presets[1]. Right now, I have to manually change FC controllers every time from presets to scenes when I turn the FM3 on. I DO NOT change presets from the floor unit. I use the computer screen to change presets. I am an older American and I get by nicely with 3 scenes per preset, 95% of the time.

Last edited:
When I turn the FM3 on, I would like the three FC CONTROLLERS buttons to default boot to scenes[2]; rather than presets[1]. Right now, I have to manually change FC controllers every time from presets to scenes when I turn the FM3 on. I DO NOT change presets from the floor unit. I use the computer screen to change presets. I am an older American and I get by nicely with 3 scenes per preset, 95% of the time.
Perty sure there is a setting for startup layout in the Setup > FC Controllers menu. It exists on the FM9 and FX3....

You may be confusing some terms here.

When you say "FC Controllers" that makes people think of the FC-6 and FC-12, but after reading your post a couple times I think you really mean the 3 switches on your FM3. Is that correct?

If so, then you really mean you have to change "layouts" from the presets layout to the scenes layout on the FM3.

Refer to this section from the manual to set the Startup Layout:

8DDA26E1-1C44-4E17-A822-6AAA898FA165.jpeg

Thanks for the info and it works! And, yes, I was lifting the term "FC Controllers" from the button on the software screen. Sorry for the confusion. However, I can't help but comment that Fractal should make this option the first thing you do when you start up for the first time. Instead of burying the access under some small drop down arrow, there should be a simply worded selection box.

However, I can't help but comment that Fractal should make this option the first thing you do when you start up for the first time.
They've already defaulted it to Presets, which is what they think is the optimal layout to start with.

There are quite a few Global settings that are all in the menus. They all default to "sane" values that work for most people.

I could see a potential use case for something like a "setup wizard" for first time use, but on the other hand most new users probably don't yet know enough to need something different from the defaults.

Thanks for the info and it works! And, yes, I was lifting the term "FC Controllers" from the button on the software screen. Sorry for the confusion. However, I can't help but comment that Fractal should make this option the first thing you do when you start up for the first time. Instead of burying the access under some small drop down arrow, there should be a simply worded selection box.
Where would this appear? Would you know you want to start on scenes the very first time you ever turn on the unit?

I can’t agree.

When someone first starts the device, it should start up into a consistent experience for everyone, not asking them to decide immediately what their customized version should be, because they have no idea what it should be.

This isn’t a general purpose OS, it’s an environment that is unique to itself, with a set of terms that are likely to not be familiar to neophytes. They’re coming in cold, so temporarily at least, some corralling … handholding … is necessary. From the FAQ in the FX3 manual, but common to all the manuals:
Q: Why all the technical terminology?
A: The language of the Axe-Fx III is for the most part the universal language of professional audio. This allows the Axe-Fx III to serve very diverse communities from casual to pro players, to producers, engineers, and beyond. The terminology and concepts you will use and learn are not unique to the Axe-Fx III either. Understanding them will help you to master the craft of sound and to communicate with other pros. At the same time, the Axe-Fx III is easier than ever, with dedicated controls and a clear interface that doesn’t distract or disrupt the creative flow.

People first entering this world, who have no experience, can’t make good decisions about what interface or level of detail they want. But, give them a bit of time, perhaps time applying themselves, and they can easily change their environment settings.

Back
Top Bottom