FBT Verve 12MA Input levels

fandyboy

Inspired
OK, first things first, I'm colourblind so I'm not sure if I'm hitting the limiter on my verve because I can't tell if the LED is changing colour.

My question is if anyone knows how high can you set the axe output before clipping the verve's input? I played the last gig at quarter level (9 O'clock on the output) and it seemed OK but it's hard to tell if it was hitting the limiter with the amount of noise and earplugs.

Hi, I don't mean clipping the output (having it too loud) of the power amp but having too hot a signal into the input.

fandyboy said:
Hi, I don't mean clipping the output (having it too loud) of the power amp but having too hot a signal into the input.

I haven't noticed any problems and I've had the output up way high.

I just ran a test where I lowered the 12mA all the way (so as to not bust my ears), and cranked the Axe-FX Output to the max... and the 12mA is quite happy, shining it's green LED, and indicating that all's cool.

This was on Output2, however, which I believe is 6 dB down from Output 1 (is that correct?)... so hang on a second while I reconnect to Output1...

Ok, I'm back. Tried the same thing with Output1, and again, just good news. The 12mA is happily shining green for anything teh Axe-FX can throw at it, even with the outputs maxed out.

Cheers,
Daniel

Dpoirier said:
I just ran a test where I lowered the 12mA all the way (so as to not bust my ears), and cranked the Axe-FX Output to the max... and the 12mA is quite happy, shining it's green LED, and indicating that all's cool.

This was on Output2, however, which I believe is 6 dB down from Output 1 (is that correct?)... so hang on a second while I reconnect to Output1...

Ok, I'm back. Tried the same thing with Output1, and again, just good news. The 12mA is happily shining green for anything teh Axe-FX can throw at it, even with the outputs maxed out.

Cheers,
Daniel

This is not a bash to you so please don't take it that way. Just want to clearify and possibly through a wrench in your test... with regards to the output levels on the Axe you said you cranked the output all the way up on the Axe, but you didn't mention were the levels were set in the blocks for that particular patch? That will make a big difference in where your total output signal is.

For fun try setting a basic patch say a JCM 800 or something similar with levels in the block (amp and cab) at 0 db and then try that same test. I know it's not a test as much as it is for a frame of reference and you may even start to hit the internal digital clip in the Axe. Granted it's not going to be the same for different amp types or how many effect blocks you have in a chain with relation to were their levels are set.

Point is everyone doesn't have there block levels set up the same way. So for you to say I maxed the outputs on my Axe and the input on the 12mA was fine is not a safe assement for others to go by especally if one is color blind.

Yes of course, you're right. In fact, after I had posted my reply and moved on to do something else, it immediately occurred to me that I had forgotten to specify my patch internal level. I knew what it was, and was confident about the validity of my quick experiment, but I had not conveyed that information in my post.

The point is, however, that I had chosen one of my hottest patches, and I run all my patches very hot (just below internal clipping). I had simply omitted to make that information known in my post.

Of course, some other users' patches may be even hotter still. And I'm sure I could find a clean patch that actually drives even closer to "red" than the higher gain patch I used in my test. But the fact that the 12mA's LED didn't even turn yellow (let alone red) seems to be a fairly good indicator that the 12mA can handle all that the Axe-FX can throw at it.

Daniel

Dpoirier said:
Yes of course, you're right. In fact, after I had posted my reply and moved on to do something else, it immediately occurred to me that I had forgotten to specify my patch internal level. I knew what it was, and was confident about the validity of my quick experiment, but I had not conveyed that information in my post.

The point is, however, that I had chosen one of my hottest patches, and I run all my patches very hot (just below internal clipping). I had simply omitted to make that information known in my post.

Of course, some other users' patches may be even hotter still. And I'm sure I could find a clean patch that actually drives even closer to "red" than the higher gain patch I used in my test. But the fact that the 12mA's LED didn't even turn yellow (let alone red) seems to be a fairly good indicator that the 12mA can handle all that the Axe-FX can throw at it.

Daniel

Good deal man... ;)

Dpoirier said:

Cheers,
Daniel

How did you connect the jack of output 2 to the 12MA which only takes XLR? :shock:

fandyboy said:
Dpoirier said:

Cheers,
Daniel

How did you connect the jack of output 2 to the 12MA which only takes XLR? :shock:

There are a number of 1/4" to XLR solutions - cables are available, DI box, etc.

That's correct. I have a short 1/4"-to-XLR adaptor that I plug into Output2, and then I use a regular microphone cable with XLR ends between that adaptor and my 12mA.

Note, however, that this is an unbalanced connection. No matter that a long portion of the connection is with XLR, that very short adaptor (and the Output2 itself) are unbalanced. But I'm running with a 15 foot cable, and do nothear much signal degradation.

One more note: that 1/4"-to-XLR adaptor I mentioned in my first paragraph, well I ended up making it myself (from an older microphone cable). All the 1/4"-to-XLR adaptors I had on hand were of the wrong gender (the XLR end was female). Go figure... I guess they are commonly made that way so that you can plug a microphone to a console with 1/4" inputs only (hence the female XLR end). I don't know if the 1/4"-to-male-XLR is commercially available.

Back
Top Bottom