FBT Verve 12mA Frequency Response

I spoke to the German distributor yesterday (as there was no comment in the package when it came back whether anything was done to it). He told me they probably changed the amp block.
I'm gonna check the Verve in the next few days again, but my first impression was: nothing changed.

I tried the Verve again with my Axe (head to head to the modified K10 as per Jay's suggestions).
Unusable to my ears without HEAVY eqing (see my corrective IR), the same as before the trip to the factory.
I'm totally unable to understand how the positive hype about this thing started and developped.
If they won't take it back (I'm out of the grace period) I'm gonna sell it.
If somebody in Europe is interested let me know.
I also ordered a RCF NX 12-SMA today, so we'll see how that performs.
The K10 is great now though!

This afternoon I put the K12 and the Verve next to each other.
While the Verve didn't sound bad in the way you describe, the K12 clearly is a better, flatter monitor.
And has all these useful features.

This afternoon I put the K12 and the Verve next to each other.
While the Verve didn't sound bad in the way you describe, the K12 clearly is a better, flatter monitor.
And has all these useful features.

Wow...this is a surprise to me.
I had a K12 for a weekend and I didn't think it held up well for palm muting. But I never got to do a straight A/B against my Verve (which I bought later).
I'm extremely happy with my Verve.

What type of patches do you guys run? I play more of a high gain marshall/mesa mix tone.

It doesn't really matter what style you play IMO.
The Verve is boxy at 500Hz, there's a big hole at 2.5kHz and it's scratchy at 6-8kHz.
When it sounds good on it (because you dialled your patches in on the Verve) it could be hollow, peaky and dull on (hopefully flatter) PA systems and studio monitors.

>> because you dialled your patches in on the Verve

That's it.

When I had the K12, I did not yet own a Verve. The patches I used on the K12, I created from scratch when I got it.
I did the same thing with a QSC HRP122i, and I actually liked the HPR better than the K12 as well.

For my current patches.... I actually used your corrective IR and dialed in my patches by switching back and forth between the Verve and my KRK V8's.
Using your corrective IR, my Verve and KRK's are very close in what they reproduce. And my signal coming out of FOH is very close to the Verve (My FOH is RCF Dual 18" Subs and JBL SRX722 Tops)

The reason I asked about what type of patches you were running was because for High Gain palm muting tones, the Verve and HPR held up better in the low end department. No matter how much I tweaked the K12, I couldn't get a meaty low end without it flubbing out at high volumes. Just my experience....

Back
Top Bottom