FBT 8ma vs QSC

MKeditor

Experienced
jiagap just received a pair of FBT 8ma's and we did our usual comparison test with my pair of QSC's. I knew they would be small...but when he came in with cabs the size of small, lunch size Igloo coolers, I was really doubting that they would hold up. They are bigger than a hotspot monitor, but they are small. His pair are smaller than one of my QSCs.

First we played through the QSCs. The y sounded big and bad as usual. When we switch to the 8ma's, I expected them to sound small lacking bass. Surprisingly that was far from the case. They did sound very different from a EQ stand point and something else that I can't put my finger on.....but they didn't lack bass....in fact...there was an artificial bump below 200k that would need to be smoothed out with my patches. The little buggers sounded good. In fact, there were some things that sounded better. The biggest difference was the 8ma's sounded like my rig through the PA. The QSCs sound like I am playing through a 4x12.

I wouldn't trade my QSCs for them but if someone is challenged in the size or weight areas, this is a the answer. I would like to hear a pair of 12ma's.

MKeditor said:
The biggest difference was the 8ma's sounded like my rig through the PA. The QSCs sound like I am playing through a 4x12.

Interesting observation thanks for sharing.

I'll share your opinion and add that the QSC's sound great.

The 8ma is so damn good, I use it and sold my QSC. No-brainer. Ordered a 12ma. No-brainer.

Impossible to ignore. The 8ma is simply a perfectly executed product for this use. Small, insanely good sounding for the footprint it takes up, very full sounding (though no real THUMP) and the drivers are done incredibly well. B&C is known for great drivers; the coaxial driver for the highs inside the woofer is brilliantly done.

As time goes on and you play the QSC vs. the FBT, you'll get a very real sense of the clarity of the midrange. It's extraordinary.

Are the 8ma really that loud and that big sounding? Could it keep up with a rock band (loud, but not super loud)? Does it loose anything when turned up (some boom boxes sound good a low volumes, but when turned up don't compare to a big home stereo), or do they still shine when loud?

Push it VERY hard and it'll do about 115db at about a yard. It's for SELF MONITORING, not carrying a room or a side-wash for a stage. It does not muddy up or get mushy.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with it.

You can carry a room with the QSC. There is an apples/oranges thing going on here between the two. The Verve ma series are self powered MONITORS, not PA mains that can double as FOH.

As a SELF MONITOR, the 8ma is the schiznit. No joke.

Note: Sorry for the shouting, but emphasis placed on purpose to communicate what I am saying.

I am interested in the 12ma's but I was surprised to discover they cost a grand a pop and the closest dealer I can find is in Arizona. At that price, one would think an equally good sounding option could be found that is more user friendly. If I choose to sell my QSCs, there is a market for them. Outside of our clan, who is jumping at the chance to buy these expensive Italian monitors?

Sorry. That's what happens when I post in the middle of the night.

I mean, for a thousand dollars there must be an option that sounds equally as good that I can try at a local dealer. Also I would prefer to invest in gear that can be easily sold again. I am unsure of the demand for FBT products in USA. There is very little on ebay.

I just read the replies on the previous page. That is encouraging.

Scott, when is your 12ma arriving? It would be cool to hear opinions on how it compares to the 8ma. Has someone already done this?

has anyone worked with the passive versions of these speakers? I have a decent power amp and I am only going to use these in my rehearsal room since I got IEM on stage. If there isn't much of a difference I would rather save some duckets and go with the passive versions of the 12.

MKeditor said:
I just read the replies on the previous page. That is encouraging.

Scott, when is your 12ma arriving? It would be cool to hear opinions on how it compares to the 8ma. Has someone already done this?

I do not know. Quoted 5 weeks or so about 3 weeks ago or so.

RMC just told me "According to FBT it should take no longer then 3 more weeks. Verve 12 ma are
on the way to USA from Italy."

I see MKeditor beat me to the review.

I concur with Michael and the main points that Scott brings up. Here are some addl thoughts (long winded):

The QSCs are great sounding – PERIOD. I have been down off the mountain three times to A/B with Michael’s QSC. First with a pair of Mackie 350’s, second with a pair of Traynor K-1 amps. The Mackies – they were cheap and did not sound good in comparison – not even close, and they severely lacked power. The Traynors – they were far better, had great I/O options – even headphones, plenty of power, but needed some EQing to get them closer, plus one of them fried – so I opted to send them back (but they are still a cool option for some).

I had waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, for the Atomic FRFR solution. And in the meantime continued to practice with the band through my Fender Bassman in mono, and at home would run stereo through a pair of Mackie HR824s. I far preferred the stereo out of the Mackies than the mono out of the Bassman – don’t get me wrong, the Bassman sounded great with the Axe Fx – but it is a very loud beast and hard to carry, and with the open back, I seemed to always have eq issues when I set up at different places. Plus it is filled with hot tubes!

Anyway, through all the waiting, and all the lugging of the Bassman to practice, I continued to want stereo and light weight, and Christmas came and went and still no Atomic solution. But then the 8ma’s started getting some talk on the forum (and I had doubts about 8in speakers until Scott started chiming in convinced), and the more I thought about the Atomics I am thinking they are probably going to be too heavy and more power than I realistically need – (though I may still opt for them when they ever become available – they will probably be the cat’s meow).

So I committed, and ordered a pair of 8ma’s. They are cute, and little, and built like mini tanks. The cons: no handles, and as someone mentioned elsewhere, it is like carrying a watermelon because there are no handles. Plus there is no cute blue “on” light in the front. The I/O options are very limited. That is about all the cons I can come up with.

I opted for the optional carrying cases at the time of purchase – which was a wise decision. The monitors are 25lbs apiece, and in the case with handles, I can carry both of them no problem, they balance each other out, and they are not bulky, so easy to get around stairways and corners.

I first tried them at home, and was impressed. I play 90% of the time in my little studio, they work perfect. Then I took them down to A/B with MKeditor, and you read his thoughts, I concur. Then I took them to band practice, and they were marvelous, cut right through the mix (bass, drums, and another guitar). We do not play heavy or loud. I was convinced there was more than enough power in these beasts for my needs – and I only had them turned up half way. And the clarity and shimmer were wonderful to behold in the mix. And the other members said they could even hear the stereo happnin.

Then the final test: I took them back home and A/B’d them with my Mackie HR824’s, and wow, was I blown away. I had generally liked the Mackies, but when I A/Bd them - the articulation, the clarity, the tightness of the bass, the overall “THERENESS” of the sound was very noticeably better with the Verves.

These are keepers. I will probably put my Mackies on Craigslist now.

Overall, the QSC’s are great, but very heavy (60lbs) and far more power than I think I would ever need or use. The FBT Verve 8ma’s are small & light, easy for an old man to carry with the cases, and the tones are excellent, and more than enough power to cut through anything I do. And should I ever play larger venues – I just can run direct to the FOH from the Axe Fx or the Verves and I still have great monitoring. They take up very little space in my little studio and fill it with sweet tones with ease on low levels – and very quiet.

So, they are one option among many. For those wanting good sound, plenty of power, in light weight packages – these are a great choice IMHO.

One question that I haven't heard raised in all this is resale value. I know that I won't lose too much on my QSCs and that there is decent demand for them. Right now there is a demand amongst our clan for FBT. What happens when the next flavor of the month comes along and FBT is no longer the bell of the ball. I am still very interested in a pair, but I can't pretend they will move very quickly or retain their value if I choose another direction in the future.

At this writing, I don't know of anyone who has 12ma's in stock.

Back
Top Bottom