Favorite tone stack swaps

komorebi_dayo

Inspired
While I'm waiting for my AX8 to come in I've been collating data on IRs, tube types, bias, et al. I've noticed there are relatively few reports on tone stack swap configurations, at least recent ones. So for those who use this feature, which combinations work best for you? The first I plan to check is Hook Clean 2 with cleanish, edge of breakup models.

Last edited:
On 6.01 beta now and my favorites so far are Hook Clean 2 and Hook with Edge. The Brit Silver is gorgeous with HC2.

Last edited:
Great topic, I'll be watching. I haven't swapped tone stacks yet. I got sucked into the IR vortex and spent a lot of time auditioning various cabinet IR's. I'm just using the stock IR's I haven't bought any cabinet packs yet.

Next I got sucked into the drive block vortex and have spent a lot of time auditioning various drive blocks.

I did fool around with moving the tone stacks to various locations and seeing how that effected the tone. Mostly I stay with the basic amp. When I had an analog rig it was just a good OD pedal (Kingsley Jester) Amp, Tremolo, Delay, Reverb and out.

So far my favorite amps in order are Black Face Twin, FAS Class-A, Divided by 13 CJ11, Mesa Lone Star, Dumble and Hook.

The Twin is just money. With a couple of drive blocks it can go anywhere.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you all are using the tone stack swap.

If your a fan of the Friedmans.... Swap the BE tonestack out for the Plexi. Up the preamp sag a bit and you have the SS100 Steve Stevens amp sound. Side by side with the actual amp it's really close.
Psss, quiet please!! I prefer Cliff to include a SS100 model than to tweak for something close! But I'll check that out for sure!! ;)

not messed around too much with it yet, the one thats in the rotation is the skyline on the sv bass amp for that SSS/SRV thing. the one i mess a bit with now is Vox style pre on a Plexi to see if i can get close to the 1966 AC50 i gig with on occasions.

My all around strat preset is [Tape Dist --> Nuclear Tone swapped to Hook No Edge --> Factory Cab 115 (Nuclear Tone Mix) --> Medium Plate]. I'm also digging the Plexi, Brit Silver, Brit Super, Hook with Edge and 65 Bassman tonestacks. I'm getting lost for hours just listening to each and how they work different magic with gain staging, pre vs post, different tube types (EF86, 7025). And now I'm pumped for that shiny new Speaker Drive algo ^^

Last edited:
Way cool post, if only I could share my vintage Marshal cab EV 80's 12" pro line cabinet speakers config w/community as an IR everyone would be happy

This is an interesting thread but I'm a bit lost here. Fairly new to the AX8 and I have seen some comments about swapping tone stacks but don't really understand it. For instance in the Bludotone Ojai amp information that Yek put together (amazing by the way!) there is a suggestion to swap the tone stack with skyline or deep skyline. Could someone please explain this and how it is accomplished? Cheers.

This is an interesting thread but I'm a bit lost here. Fairly new to the AX8 and I have seen some comments about swapping tone stacks but don't really understand it. For instance in the Bludotone Ojai amp information that Yek put together (amazing by the way!) there is a suggestion to swap the tone stack with skyline or deep skyline. Could someone please explain this and how it is accomplished? Cheers.
AMP block/Preamp/Tonestack Type/change from default to whatever..

Last edited:
I had not yet played with this options. Last night I went home and swapped tone stack on a nice clean DIv/13 patch I had. Swapped the tone stack to Brit 800, it gave it a nice boost. I see I have a whole new set of options on the pallet now to play with. Thanks.

Man I didn't even know about this 'feature/option'.. Hmmm.. I really don't need to spend 8000 more hours playing with this do I? What a cooooooooooooooool tool the Ax8 is :)

I posted about this elsewhere, but I took the JVM410HJS Red Crunch amp model, swapped out the tonestack for the 5153 Blue, then changed the Poweramp tubes to KT88s.

HELLO NURSE. Rock/Metal heaven.

This kind of thing is exactly why I bought the AX8, tweakers dream. It is actually (as with all FAS modelers) a circuit and electronic component emulator. You like swapping tone stacks? Try making them active instead of passive, and moving their freq. around. As long as you are not trying to emulate an actual amp, and instead want to build a custom amp, all those advance parameters are golden.

since the tube pre tonestack is neutral at noon, can you effectively access a JCM800 power amp slave input by swapping out its tonestack for 'neutral'? and then put a mark IIC+ block in front of that and turn sag off...

I think I remember trying that once but I think I ended up still getting a lot of distortion even after swapping the tone stack. does the tone stack include the input gain stage or is the tonestack just the shaping tools after the input stage?

Back
Top Bottom