Favorite tone shaping parameters

My favorite perimeter is the cab/IR

I feel that the cab/IR has the biggest impact on the overall tone.
Oh yes, I don’t disagree with that at all. This preset in the video is actually a tone match of a Two Rock Traditional Clean that I captured. This video is more referring to deeper parameters that are overlooked.

Oh yes, I don’t disagree with that at all. This preset in the video is actually a tone match of a Two Rock Traditional Clean that I captured. This video is more referring to deeper parameters that are overlooked.
I got that but if I had favorites tone shaping other than cab/IR it would be the graphic equalizer 😀

I really like playing around with the cathode follower settings lately, especially CF compression. It makes a big difference in feel. Changing the power amp tube type and grid bias is fun too when you're looking for the right amount of punch.

I really like playing around with the cathode follower settings lately, especially CF compression. It makes a big difference in feel. Changing the power amp tube type and grid bias is fun too when you're looking for the right amount of punch.
Yes!!!!! I had an Amplified Nation Steel String Singer I used to make some tone matches. I used the cathode follower a lot to capture that feel.

Cathode follower is one I have not investigated, nice suggestion.

Grid Bias a little bit for gain, negative feedback is my next stop after stock EQ if I want the tone to take up more space (wall of sound vibes).

After owning my FM3 for years I recently discovered how much I like adding a preamp in the Cab Block. I use Transformer for Marshall type amps, Modern for high gain amps and Tape for Fenderish amps. Downside is you might need to make some CPU room for it.

not discounting the value of your video as they are your favorites and all are helpful
I'll throw in mine :)
-speaker impedance curve
-amp output eq for overall sound
-speaker proximity for thickness at 120Hz etc.
-and the bright cap if the bright switch is on to help with sharp spikes

-I generally think input dynamics helps more with feel
-trim is huge since it affects how much flow is passing through everything and will affect quite a lot. (eg. If you crank master volume but put the trim at .5 then you can hear how much it affects everything.

Last edited:
After ~1 year of hundreds of presets and tests these are currently the settings I change for classic plexi rock sound e.g. for AC/DC or Lynyrd Skynyrd. I hope it helps beginners to focus the most important settings. I'm sure there are more ;o)

Edit: Refer to My Rig in signature.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom