Favorite Multi-effect Pedal to Pair up with your FM3

@Gustavo Samor I don't own a BigSky but I've borrowed one - it does what it does better than anything else in that format, but it doesn't do anything but that. The H9 or Digit will give you more flexibility, but the Bigsky will be more immediate if you just want verbs and knobs to twist - @orion32773 is using one so it might be worth picking his brain about it. The FM3 Plex Verb and cloud type reverbs scratch that itch for me though.
@Gustavo Samor @2112 is exactly right...yes, it's a fairly expensive solution to what it does, but it does that one thing very well. For 90% of gigs, you will be more than fine with built in effects...for that other 10% where reverb, delay, ambience, etc is a huge part of the gig, you may find yourself close to the CPU threshold, but it can still be accomplished by other means (no external pedals). I just like the color Blue on my pedalboard ;-). But it is nice to twist knobs in a live situation. Building a preset at home is all good and well, but sometimes can be too much or too little so I can reach down, twist and turn, then save the patch, and now I have that verb saved for later use on that particular song. Just try not to justify cost lol...you will fail.

@Gustavo Samor I don't own a BigSky but I've borrowed one - it does what it does better than anything else in that format, but it doesn't do anything but that. The H9 or Digit will give you more flexibility, but the Bigsky will be more immediate if you just want verbs and knobs to twist - @orion32773 is using one so it might be worth picking his brain about it. The FM3 Plex Verb and cloud type reverbs scratch that itch for me though.
Thanks @2112 It is great to hear these comments from you since you have access to a lot of gear!

@Gustavo Samor @2112 is exactly right...yes, it's a fairly expensive solution to what it does, but it does that one thing very well. For 90% of gigs, you will be more than fine with built in effects...for that other 10% where reverb, delay, ambience, etc is a huge part of the gig, you may find yourself close to the CPU threshold, but it can still be accomplished by other means (no external pedals). I just like the color Blue on my pedalboard ;-). But it is nice to twist knobs in a live situation. Building a preset at home is all good and well, but sometimes can be too much or too little so I can reach down, twist and turn, then save the patch, and now I have that verb saved for later use on that particular song. Just try not to justify cost lol...you will fail.
Thank you guys! This is quite helpful to hear from you all! Anyone in here has comments about The Boss MD500 or similar?

Last edited:
It almost seems do defeat the purpose of having a mini AxeFx rig. By the time you add a premium FX pedal and dedicate an expression pedal and a switch you’ve increased the footprint and the $$ you’ve invested.

It almost seems do defeat the purpose of having a mini AxeFx rig. By the time you add a premium FX pedal and dedicate an expression pedal and a switch you’ve increased the footprint and the $$ you’ve invested.
I see your point but that’s not always the goal for people. Tell that to the HX stomp group where it’s just a means to have an amp on a pedalboard. We are only talking about options here and you’ve got flexibility. This also applies to the AX8 as well. Plenty of folks using it by itself and are fine but also others who like to expand and have options. It’s just a platform and there isn’t a necessity to expand. Just preference and depends on your needs. There are a lot of people (including myself) that just love gear in general and aren’t looking for an all in one do it all solution. That being said, the FM3 is perfectly capable on its own.

I have to agree with you on that point. I enjoy expanding, adding on gear. I used to use every jack on the MFC and added pedals and other rack gear to my rig. It’s great that Fractal gear gets along with so many other pieces. I hope players don’t get the idea that they have to get another pedal for their FM3.

Last edited:
Nope not at all! I think people just don’t like the fact that they can hit the cpu limit easily, but you have to really analyze your true needs. I don’t NEED the external reverb 90% of the time but it’s kind of like hard drive space. I don’t really NEED all that space but it’s nice to know I’m not using it all with that externally attached drive lol. The praise and worship style is very ambient and those verbs take up so much (up to 30% cpu) so in that application the bigsky for me is relevant and leaves me with options to add another delay or even a second light reverb. Personally I have no plans (never say never) for an extensive pedalboard with tons of outboard gear. I like walking into church with my guitar and my duo 24. That’s it. When I’m done, I’m out in less than 10 min.

As @orion32773 said, it is definitely not the purpose all the time...Also because depending on the show, sometimes you might want to be able to have control over some effects like a traditional pedalboard. If all that you do is presets, then sometimes you might be limited... to some extent. I also like the idea of portability, but with some possible flexibility to manipulate/tweak in real-time faster. Thanks guys!

that doesn't mean I have to take it with me! I think that was calculated when they designed the FM3. I can have a larger rig if I need it if I don't I just use the FM3 on it's own I can't do that with an Axe FX III rig.

I would love to incorporate a MIMIQ.....but I wont be easy......
Maybe this is in the FAS future pedal list :)

Back
Top Bottom