Favorite meat doneness

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
One of my favorite hobbies is to grill, cook and smoke with my Portable Cobb Smoker.

But if you're going to a steakhouse, restaurant, whatever.
What do tou choose when ordering a ribeye, a porterhouse or a burger?

Mine is medium rare for all 3
But i will say that Beef ribs are way better when served well done
20210223_182238.jpg

it's rare but it has to be brought sizzling, rare (sizzling) and medium for me

For steaks at a steakhouse almost always medium rare. Burgers medium (though I rarely get asked). I also enjoy raw beef tartar, especially at Polish or Ethiopian restaurants.

For steaks at a steakhouse almost always medium rare. Burgers medium (though I rarely get asked). I also enjoy raw beef tartar, especially at Polish or Ethiopian restaurants.
At least you got a good taste in food as well!

OOC
I think I saw you over my Instagram page, am I wrong?

Medium rare for steaks, medium well for most burgers, well done with crispy edges for very thin burgers (like Freddy's Steakburger).

Medium rare for me. Has anyone ever tried sous vide cooking? It allows you to cook a steak to the exact level of doneness that you like. It also tenderized the steak while its cooking. All you have to do is throw it on the grill and sear the outside (or a cast iron pan). The best steaks I have ever cooked have been done with sous vide preparation.

Medium rare for me. Has anyone ever tried sous vide cooking? It allows you to cook a steak to the exact level of doneness that you like. It also tenderized the steak while its cooking. All you have to do is throw it on the grill and sear the outside (or a cast iron pan). The best steaks I have ever cooked have been done with sous vide preparation.
I think that's how the steakhouse does it nowadays.

Yes! I am! I have the anova sous vide, it is a great cooking method and allow not only doneness control but texture as well, which is very important.
If you want tips about it I can share some here

Same experience best steaks I've ever cooked at home. And they make cheaper cuts taste almost as good as the more expensive cuts.

I just recently bought my souis vide machine and it's hands down the best thing I've ever bought for home cooking. I normally try to sell everyone on them now :D

My favorite doneness would be "living" (25 year vegetarian).

Same. I went full on plant-based about 4.5 years ago and while I still occasionally cheat with some eggs or cheese, the benefits have far surpassed any cravings I’ve had for the stuff I used to eat.

So I‘m not poo’in all over the thread, I was a MAJOR steak fan before I went plant-based (I refuse to say the “V” word because I can’t stand most of them) and worked at a couple steakhouses over the years as a cook.

Ribeyes- Rarely ate ‘em because I’m not a fan of the fat. MR-Med
Porterhouse- Pittsburg/MR cuz no way am I eating a NY Strip cooked higher than MR
Sirloins- Pittsburg/MR
Filets- Pittsburg/Rare/MR depending on the cut
Prime Rib- Walk it through a warm room and don’t stop to chat with anyone, just give me a ton of auj jus and horseradish!

Burgers- Entirely depends on how much I trust the restaurant and the quality of beef they use.

”Pittsburg” seems to vary depending on the location; sometimes you’ll request it and get a black and blue steak, burnt on the outside and so rare on the inside it’s still blue-ish, sometimes it’s just charred and cooked to whatever temp you want (my preference) and in a few places it’s come out with a blackening season all over it. When I was working at Longhorn I took a lot of pride in being able to cook a perfect Pittsburg steak, you just gotta season it heavily, cook it right up to the point it’s almost at the desired done-ness and then blast some canola oil into the flames under the steak, keep blasting it every few seconds and keep it turning. As long as you put some gaps in the oil blasts, it won’t taste like chemicals after.

I actually stopped eating red meat way before I went plant-based because I wasn’t getting any good cuts down here (Ft. Lauderdale). Didn’t matter if I was going to the oldest butcher in town or Ruth Chris, everything just tasted like watered-down iron, almost like it was being pumped full of artificial “steak flavor”. Up in New England, I could go to a Pub 99, spend $15 on a sirloin and get a better tasting cut than a $50 filet down here.

Back
Top Bottom