Favorite Drop D Songs

With the original lineup it was Dean Roland and Will (bass) in Drop D♭ while Ed & Ross used E♭ standard. It looks like the current lead guitarist uses Drop D♭.

You might be right, you usually are with these things, but check out their Woodstock performance at 1:40. Are you sure Ross isn't in drop tuning? Anyway, you pretty much have to be in drop tuning to get it sound right :).

You might be right, you usually are with these things, but check out their Woodstock performance at 1:40. Are you sure Ross isn't in drop tuning?
It seems like he is there. In earlier performances I'm 99% sure he used E♭ standard, so maybe he just switched at some point. Like 1:58 of this, he's panned right and it sounds/looks like single notes on the 4th string (edit: just realized this one isn't 1/2 step down either):

Also in the '99 video he changes one solo lick to not use the 6th string, which is the only other point standard vs. drop affects much:

d-------------10-11-12
a-10-11-12-----------
d---------------------- ...

Original notes (but this was 1 fret lower in E standard on album):
a---------10-------10h12
e-10h13------13 <actually he played E here on the video above

Last edited:
Like most people I suppose, I just start that low phrase in the solo on a C instead of a D :). The '99 solo definitely has some interesting differences from the album version, with that cool chromatic passage.

Like most people I suppose, I just start that low phrase in the solo on a C instead of a D :).
I settled on this a long time ago to keep the original notes in drop tuning:

shinesoloaltpos.png

Also IMO it's fun and sort of tricky to play the intro like this and get every note from the album without tuning the 3rd string up a step, and have it sound as clean as the original:

shineintroriff.png

Back
Top Bottom