Favorite drive pedals in FX8 for driving a clean amp..?

King Tone

Inspired
Just throwing this out there...I am going to go through all of them obsessively but I thought a consensus might be handy.

One rig I use is a fender blues deluxe with a regular style pedalboard. I want to do a setup the could replace the real pedals if needed, which will probably become permanent anyway. The fender is clean. Lately I have been using a bogner red xtc pedal for a marshall like crunch and a suhr shiba reloaded for solos. The bogner is not set at high gain and the shiva has a some gain but sort of just using it like a better tube screamer for the lead stuff.

So the main part is what pedal would give the most marshall-like crunch to a clean fender? My other rig is a friedman head setup different with mainly lead boost stuff as far as pedals in the fx8 so I have already gotten along with many of the pedals for boosting.

I guess the ones that look to be first in line are BB Pre, Blues OD, maybe some others like Fulltone Od as well. Thanks!

Drive pedal preference is pretty subjective, and on top of that, each amp reacts differently to being pushed in front. I find the drives to be pretty accurate so if you have owned any in the best, and tried them with your amp, they should work just about as well from the FX8. That being said, I dig the BB Pre, Full OD, FAS-LED, and T808 through my Mesa amps. I picked a few I liked and moved on, but I need to go through each one them thoroughly. Part of the fun is trying them out and tweaking them!

+1 on Ruckus.

I could never get away with it in the past, though since it was recently re-worked I tried it again and it sounds excellent with all channels on my Mesa Triple Crown.

Ok, reporting back with my experiments so far. I did mess around with most all of them a little bit, (all day!) spending the most time with the ones that were the closest to what I was looking for with no tweaks. What I ended up with (for today...) is that the ruckus or the shred distortion work well for a sort of crunch into the fender blues deluxe. Then a bb for the gain boost for solos. Most any of the TS variant overdrives can get a boost that works but I wanted the boost to be a little flatter and not change the tone too much, just add gain/compression/sustain. The bb is good for this, I remember I liked it in the axe fx (when I used to have it) for the same kind of thing. What is crazy is to me the most marshall-like by a wide margin is the shred distortion! It is strangely incredibly loud and gainy...I thought maybe there is a bug...however if you turn the gain and level way down it has a surprisingly marshall in a box type of tone to it. Maybe a sleeping gem for a lot of users...who would have thought it would do that so well. The ruckus sounds great, (as does the real riot pedal) maybe slightly less marshall vs the shred but I may change my mind as far as which one I prefer, once the volume is up. I have been A/Bing against my (real) bogner red pedal just for a reference.

Hope it helps someone else's journey. More soon...maybe some videos down the road.

In order of most use & favorites.

RC Booster
TS808
BB Preamp
Timmy
AC Booster

I'm going to try the Ruckus next based on the positive responses in this thread!

That boys! X

Back
Top Bottom