Favorite Drive Blocks

Some people will use actual amp models with the Sag control turned to zero to disengage the poweramp modeling as drive pedals.

Want to try out the new Bogner drive pedals? Just set the Euro models with Sag at 0.0 in front of the actual amp you're using and there you go!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you match the mid frequency with your ears or do it visually - adjusting the dial to a specific setting?

Doc

The FET Drive for a nice clean boost, the Zen Drive if I need a little more grit. Saw a suggestion a while back (Simeon?) that really works well: find the mid frequency of the amp you're using, change the drive pedal's mid freq. to match it & boost it by about 4db. Great for solos!

I'd like to hear this. I have never succeeded in getting a usable sound from it. It invariably sounds like the guitar was recorded in an old tin can.

Keep in mind I'm no great shakes as a player. Here's some mindless noodling showing first, the amp without the boost for reference, and then with the BB block engaged. On this one I'm using a little more gain than I'd typically use on the pedal, which I tend to use more on a darker amp like a jumped JTM45. I recorded this with my Jackson RR1T with a SD Jazz neck pickup. The strings are months old so unfortuneatly the guitar sounds pretty dead, but I was too lazy to change them or grab a fresher guitar before hitting record. :)

https://soundcloud.com/magentaslaad/rr1t_jazzneck_buttery_bb

It definitely scoops the tone a lot, but with a dark pickup and dark amp the end result can be pleasing. I wouldn't want to kick in on with a tele bridge pickup unless I was trying to perform sonic dentistry.

Sounds fantastic with and without the drive. I'm going to have to try this now. My guitar has the SD Jazz in the neck too so hopefully I can get close.

Keep in mind I'm no great shakes as a player. Here's some mindless noodling showing first, the amp without the boost for reference, and then with the BB block engaged. On this one I'm using a little more gain than I'd typically use on the pedal, which I tend to use more on a darker amp like a jumped JTM45. I recorded this with my Jackson RR1T with a SD Jazz neck pickup. The strings are months old so unfortuneatly the guitar sounds pretty dead, but I was too lazy to change them or grab a fresher guitar before hitting record. :)

https://soundcloud.com/magentaslaad/rr1t_jazzneck_buttery_bb

It definitely scoops the tone a lot, but with a dark pickup and dark amp the end result can be pleasing. I wouldn't want to kick in on with a tele bridge pickup unless I was trying to perform sonic dentistry.

Sounds quite good! I'll have to check out the buttery amp sim plus the BB. What are you running the hi-cut/low-cut at, and the tone/drive?

FET and occasionally the Zendrive or Treble Boost (for Vox amps).

Need to make some with the TS flavored ones, but haven't gotten around to it.

I screwed up and somehow modified my patch without knowing it, this was actually recorded with a TS-808. I was trying to figure out why there was so much more gain than normal on the drive and it just didn't click for me that the patch had the wrong drive. Often I'll have 2 different drive blocks on a preset but for some reason I seem to have delete the BB and just kept the TS.

I'm just on my lunch break right now,so tonight when I have a few spare minutes I'll re-record something with the correct drive in the chain. My apologies. I should show the difference on the JTM45 really, because that one totally changes the character a lot more than the Buttery.

edit...

Here it is with blues od actual. As you will see, it's much brighter and less gainy than the TS. Excuse the clams, I'm not feeling well tonight. I don't think I ever set anything on the blues od off of the defaults except drive tone and gain. D: 6.5 T:5.5 G:7.5

https://soundcloud.com/magentaslaad/buttery_bb

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom