Favorite Amp Blocks For Clean Tones?

DrProgNerd

I've created some great presets so far: One for classic Marshall Audley Freed type of sound - and a couple for Satriani/Timmons type drive. I got there pretty quickly on the III. I've laid the groundwork for a more modern wet clean type tone (Petrucci'ish?) - and am pretty happy - but I'm not totally dialed yet. I'm interested in what everyone's favorite clean block(s) is/are to use as a jumping off point - and why. And for context - the style of music you are using it for - or tone you are aiming for - maybe use an artist's tone as a reference. Thanks ….

I've created some great presets so far: One for classic Marshall Audley Freed type of sound - and a couple for Satriani/Timmons type drive. I got there pretty quickly on the III. I've laid the groundwork for a more modern wet clean type tone (Petrucci'ish?) - and am pretty happy - but I'm not totally dialed yet. I'm interested in what everyone's favorite clean block(s) is/are to use as a jumping off point - and why. And for context - the style of music you are using it for - or tone you are aiming for - maybe use an artist's tone as a reference. Thanks ….

The SHIVER CLEAN has always been my favorite for the straight up clean tones with no break up. It stays very clean even when pushing the gain so you can get some good dynamics with it. I usually stick with more edge of break up cleans so that when I dig in I can get some dirt. For that I've really been liking the FAS CLASS A. It sounds very thick and full and has a nice warm break up.

Who amongst us can resist the solicited opinions post? Not I.

So many good cleans. My favorite Fender and overall is the 58f1, likes the fat switch. The AC15 is great. Swart. Usa clean for a hi-fi sound that loves modulation. Div/13, really so many.

You can check out my soundcloud link in my signature, the 4 most recent tracks are solo clean of different amps.

I should add, it's the Axe II.

Last edited:
I remember setting up a preset on my IIXL for a friend who had come over to check it out. He played while I dialed it in. What we ended up with was a slightly breaking clean based off the Shiver. That was a few years ago - he still mentions that "Shiva preset" we dialed in. Ill have to go back and play with it again. Thx for the response.

Sheky - I listened to your examples. Beautiful sounds. Can't wait to get off work now and go home to play. Thanks for the suggestions.

Buttery, Swart, Double Verb; I need to revisit the JC120... IRL that one is a favorite but was not blown away by the model. It has been a couple years since I played the Fractal model though. ;) I need to dig into the DIV13 as someone else mentioned above those are cool amps IRL too.

There are so many! JTM 45, Marshall 1987 bright, all the Soldono cleans, most of the Fenders can easily be made clean but the standout is the Bandcommander.

I have been using the Double Verb in my 2, but tried the Shiver in the 3 and it's really good, like a cross between a DI and the USA Boogie.

Now that the 3 has full resolution for both amp blocks, I'm interested in trying a blend of the shiver with another amp that breaks up more. Are there any downsides to mixing them, and what's the best way to combine the 2 in mono on the grid?

Last edited:
TX star was my fav in the axe2. I haven't properly auditioned the 3 clean models yet. There is a audition video of the fenders floating around here though.

Thanks for all the good suggestions, but what is the best way to blend the amps, summing into the next block and using the output levels to balance, or using a vol/pan block?

Thanks for all the good suggestions, but what is the best way to blend the amps, summing into the next block and using the output levels to balance, or using a vol/pan block?
Do you need real-time control over the blend? If yes: use a mixer block. If no: just draw connections on the grid to combine them into a single CAB block.

Do you need real-time control over the blend? If yes: use a mixer block. If no: just draw connections on the grid to combine them into a single CAB block.

No need for real time control, but I don't use cabinets at the moment, I have Mesa 2/90's and custom cabinets with Eminence Demta Pro 12A's. Should I still use the cab block to blend, but mute/bypass it?

No need for real time control, but I don't use cabinets at the moment, I have Mesa 2/90's and custom cabinets with Eminence Demta Pro 12A's. Should I still use the cab block to blend, but mute/bypass it?
No. I’d use a mixer block. I think it’s easier to wrap your head around when working.

Back
Top Bottom