Favorite 3rd party Cab IR for the 1970's Silverface [JBL] and also the 1960's Blackface [Jensen] Fender Twin Reverb Amps?

Bob G

Greetings from The Northern Hemisphere!

I performed a search on this topic and found little to nothing on Cab IRs for classic Fender Twin Reverb amps before posting this thread. Fractal Audio's factory models appear as follows:

021 — 2x12 DOUBLE VERB R121
020 — 2x12 DOUBLE AMP KSM313
091 — 2x12 DOUBLE VERB MIX
123 — 2x12 DOUBLE VERB MIX
137 — 2x12 DOUBLE VERB M160

For most amp models that I use in the Fractal environment, I get the best tones using Ownhammer Cab IRs; most times it's one of Ownhammer's OH1 IR mixes [SM57 + R-121] that gives me the best starting tone for recording guitar tracks. Interestingly, Ownhammer has never done a shoot of a Fender Twin Reverb. Neither the very sought after 1970's Silverface model with JBL speakers or the 1960's Blackface model with Jensen speakers.

While I am happy with Fractal's offerings, I would also like to have the best Cabinet IR for these amp types from a third party IR maker. There are a few reasons for wanting all of my Cab IRs to be 3rd party and not to rely solely on the factory [non-movable] IRs. Portability is one major factor. I do a lot of re-amping in my recording work and often times, I am using a software based IR loader within my DAW environment. I like my Cabinet IRs to be portable as well, so I can use them across different platforms - with the Fractal, with real amps, with IR software loaders and with any other platform that works with cabinet IRs.

What are your absolute favorite third party cabinet IR collections for the classic 1970's Silverface model with JBL speakers or the 1960's Blackface model with Jensen speakers?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts on this and especially for any good suggestions!

Kindest Regards,
BG

I've come to really like Redwirez IRs, especially for Fender type amps. There's a rawness and openness in the high end that is just sweet. Used to be able to purchase individual speaker packs but looks like they're only in bundles now. Still, for $50 they're a great deal considering what you get, they do have a 14 day return policy. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just really like their IRs.

https://redwirez.com/products/bigbox-vintage-classics

Back
Top Bottom