Favorite 2 drive pedals into a clean amp?

mrphlurph

Inspired
I have been working with some edge of breakup tones (AC 20, Band Commander, Two Stone, etc) and adding two drives before the amps. What are your favorite combinations of two drive pedals to create variety and intensity of tone before a cleanish amp?

I use either a Boost (Bosom Boost) and the Klone Chiron or with less mid-heavy amps the Klone Chiron and the Eternal love. The Klone Chiron is excellent for stacking with other Drive pedals.

King of tone, add the klon before it for leads. RAT by itself for big leads. Also any of the fuzzes if you're into that.

I've been doing Tubescreamer into a Crunch Box into the Bassman lately.
I've tried to use the Klone and other hipster low level drives and I just don't like it. Too mellow for me. I play tons of covers, I don't Mayer-noodle in a quiet room.

I usually prefer a singing violin-tone lead, so I tend to use a ZenMaster and a boost, perhaps a BB Pre or FAS Boost. Sometime no 2nd drive (boost) block at all, just a channel B amp input boost switch on.

I usually prefer a singing violin-tone lead, so I tend to use a ZenMaster and a boost, perhaps a BB Pre or FAS Boost. Sometime no 2nd drive block at all, just a channel B amp input boost switch on.
BB Pre was my most favorite on the AX8. So good.

BB Pre was my most favorite on the AX8. So good.
Yup. Can't recall where I viewed this, but some discerning artists prefer the BB Pre as well. Have not placed the BB Pre on many of my presets, though; will need to tweak a few and see what results...

Yup. Can't recall where I viewed this, but some discerning artists prefer the BB Pre as well. Have not placed the BB Pre on many of my presets, though; will need to tweak a few and see what results...
I think the first time I heard it was the guitar player for a Journey tribute had it on his board. Sounded freakin glorious.
At the time I was moving from my amps to Fractal so I tried it on the AX8 and never looked back. It's thick.

I have been working with some edge of breakup tones (AC 20, Band Commander, Two Stone, etc) and adding two drives before the amps. What are your favorite combinations of two drive pedals to create variety and intensity of tone before a cleanish amp?
I use the AC-20 EF86 Treble and really like the Jam Ray and Super OD with that model.

Hotcake and Klone mostly on the Shiver Clean, combined with the Shimmer amp boost for even more

With P90s and other single coils I really like the Compulsive LP/HP into the Matchbox D30 model too

I use that same amp with a York Audio Creamback mix 3 or mix 4 depending on the guitar. I use a combination of two different drives in different combinations; I use either the KOT with mild light drive, or the BB preamp for more gain as a main crunch drive, and then the Klon will be in front of those, and I turn it on to give more drive/finger grease when I need it, and I’ll stack those two in various orders to get different shades. The klon is on drive A so it can be used as a boost (in front), and then I have the other two on drive B with a hold switch to change between the two channels. When I want actual heavy distortion, I actually use the marshall shred pedal (as drive B on another switch) which is really cool with the gain on 4 and the high cut in the drive set to about 1250hz. I don’t know if any of that helps haha but thought I would share. :)

Awesome...thanks for all your input. I have been using the FET preamp into the Klon (and also using the preamp input boost set on Neutral) of late. I'm gonna give all these combo's a whirl. Love how many "color's" of tone the FM9 offers...

BoC, Timmy, KoT - To boost a drive block I set pushed frequencies in the drive's on board GEQ (GEQ placed in the "before" position setting) and attach a switch to the GEQs on/off, or, alternatively, have a filter block before the drive with on/off switch to boost the drive. I don't normally stack drive pedals but keen to try some of the conbos noted here.

Back
Top Bottom