Fates Warning - Life in Still Water cover

ConstantM

Inspired

I tried to get close to the Parallels sound based on the gear they were using at the time as described in Matteos' page and an interview with Arresti.
I am linking the preset used (recorded with AxeIII but i include a version for FM3 with 2 cabs and eq'd to approximate the Axe preset)

Axe Fx III version:
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=11055

Fm3 version:
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=11056

Oh man - I love that song !

You nailed it !

Fates is my all time favorite band, Ray is most definitely my all time favorite singer. Cool to see other people on here are fans. Although oddly being primarily a guitar player I haven't ever tried to play much of it, but definitely love to sing it. I took quite a few vocal lessons years ago and did a decent Ray impersonation... then covid thrashed my voice pretty good and I've abandoned it for a while now. Light and Shade of Things tears me up every time.

Edited because once I started listening to your cover I can't help but sing a long :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Love me some Fates, Parallels is one of my fav's, so is the later Theory of Flight and pretty much everything in between. We only Say Goodbye of the same album is another killer track, as most of them are (11th Hour!).

My most memorable FW story is seeing them open for Savatage(unbelievable show BTW) at The Station in Warwick RI, one year prior to the devastating fire that took way too many lives. 400 people in a club that was built to hold 300 max, with one way out. I had such strong feelings of how lucky I was to be alive, as it most certainly could have been me in the same type of scenario there.

ConstantM, thanks for sharing this. You nailed the playing, amazing!!

I want to add that many people only know about Fates old music... Theories of Flight was about five years ago and is one of their best. Also, Ray has two solo albums in the past few years with good stuff. Ray sang for Redemption, Engine, and also a new project called A-Z with Mark Zonder. So check it all out.

I want to add that many people only know about Fates old music... Theories of Flight was about five years ago and is one of their best. Also, Ray has two solo albums in the past few years with good stuff. Ray sang for Redemption, Engine, and also a new project called A-Z with Mark Zonder. So check it all out.
Thx for the heads up !

Back
Top Bottom