FAT switch and SAT

Heavyplayer

Experienced
I been meaning to mention this for awhile now. Shouldn't the fat and sat switch be on the "Authentic page" in models such as the friedman and mesa mark series?
I also read that the fat doesn't apply in the JP models?

The saturation switch adds zener clipping diodes at the end of the preamp. Mesa Mark stuff certainly doesn’t have that on the real amps (unmodded, ofc). I’m not sure about Friedman amps but I don’t think they do either, but if I’m wrong then happy to be corrected.

I don’t know exactly what the fat switch does to the circuit, but again I don’t believe Mesa stuff has that on the physical amp. Perhaps the Pull Deep things on the Mark series are the same thing, but there’s a separate model with that engaged, and on the Triaxis it’s engaged by default IIRC, so turning the fat on as well would basically double up on the same thing.

Saying the fat switch ‘doesn’t apply’ makes me think you’ve read those posts about the Mark series needing the fat switch engaged to sound good, but it’s really a matter of taste. If you like it with the fat switch on, do that, if not then just leave it in the ideal tab.

Boogie Mark IV's have pull Fat on both the Rhythm II and Lead channels. Pull Shift on the Treble knob of the Mark IIc+ is also the same thing.

The saturation switch adds zener clipping diodes at the end of the preamp. Mesa Mark stuff certainly doesn’t have that on the real amps (unmodded, ofc). I’m not sure about Friedman amps but I don’t think they do either, but if I’m wrong then happy to be corrected.

I don’t know exactly what the fat switch does to the circuit, but again I don’t believe Mesa stuff has that on the physical amp. Perhaps the Pull Deep things on the Mark series are the same thing, but there’s a separate model with that engaged, and on the Triaxis it’s engaged by default IIRC, so turning the fat on as well would basically double up on the same thing.

Saying the fat switch ‘doesn’t apply’ makes me think you’ve read those posts about the Mark series needing the fat switch engaged to sound good, but it’s really a matter of taste. If you like it with the fat switch on, do that, if not then just leave it in the ideal tab.

Friedman amps can some with switchable saturation mods for sure.

and the Mark IIC+ also has a PULL FAT switch, in addition to the Mark IV mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom