FASLink to MIDI

Mr.X

Experienced
Does anyone know if the Cat-5 Axe-FX to MFC wiring contains MIDI In/Out in a normal sort of way that an RJ-45 to MIDI connector could be made?
I have a FASLink setup now between the MFC and Axe-FX, but want to be able to switch out the MFC to a TB-5 but still use the FASLink connector. I thought if perhaps the RJ-45 in addition to carrying power also carried regular MIDI on it's pins, I could do this.

My understanding is those are 3 different protocols with different line levels and in the case of the Faslink, is a powerline carrier sort of thing where signals ride on power and have to be stripped out electronically. So... no. Pick one and run with it.

Given a choice, Faslink is the way to go. It's a much more robust connection with a very common cable. I don't believe there's any performance advantage to any of the schemes; it's purely a matter of how much abuse each scheme will take and how easy it is to mitigate disaster. Faslink wins on both counts.

I understand the advantage of FASLink, and that's why I want to continue to use it.
In fact, I want to use it even more, if I can figure out how to convert "regular" MIDI connections to FASLink.

The Pinout/protocol I'm interested in is for the RJ-45 connection. Since FAS has gone away from that connector on their new products in favour of the FASLink, perhaps the pinout and protocol might be made public. Or, perhaps they might be interested in creating MIDI to FASLink adapters... Hint, Hint... ;-)

Ok, how about this then...

Does anyone know of a product that takes MIDI in and out and power, and converts it to a SINGLE XLR cable?
The only thing I can find is a JL Cooper product that requires 2 XLR cables.

Given midi uses 5 or 7 pins, I don't see how you could transfer data with a standard 3 pin XLR. Can't go and have multiple pins wired to the same wire in the cable

Given midi uses 5 or 7 pins, I don't see how you could transfer data with a standard 3 pin XLR. Can't go and have multiple pins wired to the same wire in the cable
It's already been done with FASLink. Not completely sure of the encoding method, but likely its:
pin 1 ground
Pin 2 data send & Vcc
Pin 3 data receive & Vcc

Pin 2 & 3 can be reversed, but there's nothing magic going on. However, instead of rolling my own, I would like to support FAS and use what they have already perfected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could also be a bi-directional 1-wire system with the 3rd pin supplying only DC power.
But I digress...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom