FASLINK breakout box

moerker

Experienced
Hi there,
I don't know if I am in the wrong forum, but from my perspective it fits quite well.

My question is "relative" simple:
Does anyone know about a breakout box, enabeling FASLINK connectivity to external switches / expression pedals? (basically an FC without switches)

Background:
Coming from the AX8, I am actually intrigued by the FM3 (because of the channels, which help a lot in all my presets). Though, 3 switches are not enough for me, and with the FC6 I cannot maintain my small footprint (AX8 + expression pedal on 52cm). Because of the small size of the FM3, I have a lot of space to spare, which I plan to fill up with external switches connected to the "Pedal"-connectors. Unfortunately, since I am using an expression pedal with toe-switch, I would only be able to connect 1 switch and need a custom cable to get toe-switch and extra switch to one TRS connector. And after looking at the FC6 I thought "hey, FASLINK would be a solution" ;)

MIDI is not an option for me, since I am looking for a possibility to use external switches like they belong to the device.
However, I am looking forward for the FM3 MIDI capabilities, to find out if there would be a way to work around.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Don’t know if any existing product that does this, and doubtful that we would see one really. It could maybe be “hacked” but the time and energy would be significant.

Best option would be to look for a small midi unit that has the ability to add external switches, so then you could save space, have some extra switches and also additional inputs for external switches. Not exactly what you want but I don’t think you’ll find what your actually after existing

Keep in mind with the MUX block it’s very easy to have one expression pedal control multiple things now, so you might find you really don’t need the toe switch on your expression pedal

Yeah, with MIDI it may work, but it has some conditions.
If the (MIDI) device supports own presets, one may have the oppertunity to
  • trigger a preset change on the (MIDI) device via Axe-FX3/FM3 to switch to a different CC layout, and
  • use the MIDI device to send the CCs back to the Axe-FX3/FM3.
But that seems really complicated. Think I need to dig deeper in the MIDI options.

Yeah, with MIDI it may work, but it has some conditions.
If the (MIDI) device supports own presets, one may have the oppertunity to
  • trigger a preset change on the (MIDI) device via Axe-FX3/FM3 to switch to a different CC layout, and
  • use the MIDI device to send the CCs back to the Axe-FX3/FM3.
But that seems really complicated. Think I need to dig deeper in the MIDI options.
IIRC the FASLink2 protocol is implemented with proprietary MIDI SysEx messages. I do not recall FAS ever having released the specifications to the FASLink2 protocol, so a 3rd party FASLink2 breakout box seems unlikely to me.
It could maybe be “hacked” but the time and energy would be significant.
Think it would be easy to get the SysEx message formats using a USB -> XLR box. The risk comes from FAS. Since they have not released the spec for public use, implementing such a box would violate Fractal’s intellectual property rights.

Last edited:
I think this would be a great wish list item for the FM3. And then of course you could also use it with the FC-6, FC-12, Axe-Fx III to allow for adding more expression pedals and switches.

Something in the footprint size of a small stomp box that has a FASLINK II connection and maybe four 1/4 TRS connections. And powered by whatever it's connected to (FM3/FC-6/FC-12/Axe-Fx III).

Back
Top Bottom